Author Topic: Any old Air Warriors out there?????  (Read 144775 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Any old Air Warriors out there?????
« Reply #990 on: November 16, 2017, 06:55:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing that link, Goner.... it appears DOK is hosting this site

Hope you're doing well

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #991 on: November 17, 2017, 11:02:52 AM »
Just tossing in a bit info here for those who might be interested in really easy kill. After a 13 year absence I am going to try and come back into the game. Skuzzy kindly let me know my old handle, Maverick, was still available so I downloaded the game and started to practice a bit. It seems that my recollection of how things used to go is a bit hazy as gunnery seems to be about 1000% harder now. I have a bottom level thrustmaster and no rudder pedals as well. I suppose I'll have t think hard about rudder pedals again. Any hints for something that is budget friendly?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #992 on: November 17, 2017, 11:16:44 AM »
Budget friendly: Just use a twisty stick for rudder. Worked well for me for years. Many years. Too many years. However, I'd wait to spend money on pedals (of which there are some new options these days) until you get to that point of actually missing them. See if you're going to stick around and see if you get that muscle memory back to the point of wanting pedals.

Other than that, perhaps used CH Pros would be the ones you remember most. Always a good choice, I think.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #993 on: November 17, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »

If you need a target to fly around in TA and shoot at to get the feel back let me know when and i'll fly around in there you can shoot at me.
You'll get more guns on time that way against something that moves like a real target. In fact most folks in TA will usually gladly help in this regard.
It can bring you up to speed faster than trying to use MA for it. The flight time is shorter and anyone shooting back doesn't put you in the tower.

I downloaded the game and started to practice a bit. It seems that my recollection of how things used to go is a bit hazy as gunnery seems to be about 1000% harder now.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #994 on: November 17, 2017, 12:14:51 PM »
Best stick for budget, in my opinion, is a Thrustmaster T.16000M twisty stick.  (Although I prefer the CH Products flightstick, but it's more expensive.)

Best pedals for the money, in my opinion, are CH Products pedals.  I see them for only $120 on Amazon.com.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #995 on: November 17, 2017, 12:19:09 PM »
Arlo,

Great pics of the old AirWarrior. I played starting in 1993/4. Got introduced by a player call sign Doomer.

I have always, exclusively been Vinkman.  :salute

There was no VOIP back when it started, so a group of us would pack our computers in our cars and drive to work, set them up on coference tables in the same conference room and all plug into a different ethernet port and fly as a group swo we could communicate with each other.

Big fun was manning a b17 where one guy flew, and the rest of us were all individual gunners. In game people call it a Death Star. But we had an advantage because we could all all out incoming planes and talk to the pilot as he knew where and how to maneuver.  It was blast.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #996 on: November 17, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
Nice to see old names active here and noticing what seems (to me, just back after 5 years) an influx of these older players returning.  :old:

Guess the ads are paying off.   :aok

-->OP (AW3 RR)
Oopsy (AW3 FR)   
Shane (AH)

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #997 on: November 17, 2017, 01:05:28 PM »

I remember you  :cheers:

Quote from: Shane link=topic=128754.msg5186163#msg5186163 date=1510943003
Oopsy (AW3 FR)   
[/quote
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #998 on: November 17, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »
I found some of my old AW stuff, including 2 "Fighter Scores" printouts from 10/30/1989 and 7/4/1991, which I could photograph and post, if anyone is interested (and I may do it anyway).  The latter list has both handles and real names for each player listed.   

For example, the second list mentioned above lists a player with rank #1, with handle "HiTech GF", and with name D.Addink, FWIW. 

MH

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #999 on: November 17, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »
I,d love to see it.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #1000 on: November 18, 2017, 08:00:23 AM »
Yes.  Please post.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Goner

• Copper Member
« Reply #1001 on: November 20, 2017, 03:27:58 AM »
I found some of my old AW stuff,
I wish I had saved printouts of the forums and newsgroups where the battle plans for scenarios were discussed. Flew in a couple and I remember that the preparations were as much fun as the actual battle  ;-)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?11187-GameStorm-Air-Warrior-III-Afrika-42-Scenario
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:34:27 AM by Goner »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1002 on: November 20, 2017, 03:36:07 AM »
I wish I had saved printouts of the forums and newsgroups where the battle plans for scenarios were discussed. Flew in a couple and I remember that the preparations were as much fun as the actual battle  ;-)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?11187-GameStorm-Air-Warrior-III-Afrika-42-Scenario

We have carried on the tradition of scenarios here.  I hope all former air warriors will fly in them.  :aok

Offline Mitchell NA

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1003 on: November 20, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »
If it was playable on AOL in the 90's, I was there.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #1004 on: November 21, 2017, 09:32:30 PM »
One of the funnest nights was when Shane organized a Spit 1 mission, just laughed our tulips off as we managed to disrupt some p51 jocks,
 got a few kills, got lots of points, but mainly just a lot of laughs
Hey Shane, Hope all is well
NwBie

Nice to see old names active here and noticing what seems (to me, just back after 5 years) an influx of these older players returning.  :old:

Guess the ads are paying off.   :aok

-->OP (AW3 RR)
Oopsy (AW3 FR)   
Shane (AH)
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."