Author Topic: CT needs more pilots...  (Read 4238 times)

storch

Re: Re: CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 08:29:56 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
You will find the quality of fighting in the CT is pretty good.  Even though the numbers are not all that great, how many guys do you think you can fight at once?  I've been flying in here for years and I'm pressing my luck to fight more than 1:1.

Don't be concerned about the numbers, just find the fight and enjoy.

eskimo

He's being somewhat less than forthcoming.  He can easily vultch 5 guys in a row :D  I've seen him do it!!

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2004, 08:48:58 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
p.s. What'll get more pilots to try the CT is HT bumping the CT arena to the top of the selection list for a month and a couple hundred eager beavers click on it instead of the MA and a third of `em go ... "Whoa! Cool!" :D [/B]

:aok

Offline TheBeeg

• Zinc Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2004, 08:50:30 PM »
Funny thing, I was gonna start a thread on just what the heck the difference is between the CT and MA.  I see almost no difference with one minor exception and that is that the plane sets are either Allied or Axis.  Big Deal!  I fly in another WW2 sim (not necessary to mention which) but the realism and immersion level provided by clouds, mist, full terrains and almost no icons is a million times more realistic than the CT.  So why did I come back to AH2 after being away for 2 years.  Because the flight model is excellent, that's why.  The look, feel and perspective of flight in here are much much better than AH1 so I'm going to keep coming back.  Now, since I'm on a rant, let me continue.  The other night I went into the MA for the first time in weeks.  Had a great time because some guy with number name organized a Rook force of about 40 and we musta creamed 7 or 8 Bish bases in a row.  That was fun!  My 110 was one amazing whoopass machine (I can tell you with absolute certainty that I know 20 Pig pilots in the other sim who would kill for our 110)  Then the next night I come into the CT and there is Dover (another thing about my other Sim, it has names and not stupid numbers) firmly in Axis hands.  WTF?  I'm looking for a nice air battle and half the Axis force of 6 are manning field AAA in Merry Olde Dover WTFF??  C'mon CT guys let's have some cojones here and don't try to draw people in here just to have numbers.  Get people in here who want something different than the MA.  Turn off the chicken pox radar and learn how to fly a search pattern or bar cap.  Tune one vox channel for the side.  I bet you guys have no idea just how good HT's vox implementation is, do you?  Well, take it from somebody who's got to communicate with TS, it's superb.  Report enemy activity on the country vox channel and search the bastages out.  Back to the dar issue, I'd even buy a bar to indicate the sector where the enemy is but these stupid little red dots, c'mon?  We've got the better flight model and perspective.  Put a few clouds in here, give us some mist.  Make it so only people who really want to re-enact what real life WW2 combat was like would be comfortable in here otherwise it's just a tiny winny MA.

Off Soap Box, Next Please
The Beeg

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Re: Re: Re: CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2004, 09:13:30 PM »
Originally posted by storch
He's being somewhat less than forthcoming.  He can easily vultch 5 guys in a row :D  I've seen him do it!!

I was refering to an even fight.  
Gimme a chance to de-ack a base and get on my perch, well then I'm a real tough guy.

eskimo

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2004, 10:44:48 PM »
Originally posted by TheBeeg
Funny thing, I was gonna start a thread on just what the heck the difference is between the CT and MA.  

Ok ... where's the damn soapbox?! (Arlo steps up on it now)

THE only critical difference between the CT and the MA is supposed to be the 2 sided Axis vs Allies limited plane setup and historical terrains for immersion's sake. Players can fly what they want (or not), drive what they want (or not), fieldgun (or not), be brown water commodores (or not), bomb (or not), furball (or not) ... vulch (or not), HO (or not) ... it's all optional. And it's all part of Aces High. We, as the much smaller Combat Theater segment of the Aces High community, HAVE to consider concessions as well as promote less gamey play ... but not by eliminating options of play already incorporated into AHII. We need to offer something more appealing. That's where mission night comes in. And it doesn't mean we can't come up with spontanious missions every night ... IF we can get MORE participation.

CT staffers have adjusted settings throughout the history of the Combat Theater to appeal to their sense of what is or isn't more immersive. I've enjoyed some of the more realistic settings. But you know what? Those same players you had a blast with in the MA playing "roll over bases" with would crap a brick over the realistic settings you desire.

The CT staff and community has cussed, discussed, rationalized, compromised, terrorized, reversed positions, reversed them again, etcetera ad infintum. We DO want to draw more players. We DO want to make the CT more appealing. And the CT staff recently adjusted settings to that end. Result - we had more MA players come here and enjoy the Combat Theater setups. Setups that don't involve Lalas vs Lalas vs Spits vs Spits vs Ponies vs Ponies vs Nikis vs Nikis over a Martian landscape or planet Uterus.

Ironically, you caught an aspect of something you enjoyed in the MA. That's good. But don't think it's actually a defining moment that captures the essense of the MA 24/7. Nor is it an experience that would make the CT a better place to fly. And your experience with a half dozen players hunkered down in their field guns in the CT isn't the defining moment that describes day to day affairs here.

Back to immersion (which will never be a goal of the MA) - yes ... we want more immersion here. More immersion than is in the MA. But if we take it to extremes that only we few hard corps Combat Theater enthusiasts enjoy we'll not bring in more players. We may even lose some. That's not a good thing for the CT.

We HAVE to find a suitable compromise or the CT may face extinction long before TOD is perfected (in "two weeks" .. if ever).

My greatest fear in AH is the CT server being taken offline due to lack of use. I don't like the prospect. It would most likely be what kills the game for me.

(Arlo steps off soapbox but takes a number just in case)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2004, 11:10:05 PM »
Well Arlo,
I feel your pain...I have just about always liked the CT over the MA.....
even tonight I think I had one of the best 1 on 1 dogfights ever outside of  the point mongers who thrive on being ranked at the top with no respect for 2 people going at it for 15 or 10 minutes on end....

I was in a P47D11 flying against Redd in a 109 something or nother and we actually duked it out for around what seemed like 10 to 15 minutes

it was the best fight I could remember in months in all of Aces high arenas, with no big kill sorties, no gang banging per say

but the respect of some flyers in the CT isn't there at all......

If a person is mixing it up in a dogfight don't jump in on his or the opponents glory just to rack you up another kill....

ask if someone has it handled or if he might need help or a pick.....don't zoom in and rob either one of the 10 minute fight they had by killing the opponent.

There are some players that have respect and honor for things like this...but  what happens numerous times in the MA 24/7 is rolling over into the CT ,  a year or even 2 ago it was not like this...but it is slipping toward that direction......

in my opinion I would like to see the scoring blocked out until the end of each tour.......that way no one would know who had what so it might relieve them from trying to pick every kill they see.....

better fun for all...ya know!! If not in the MA least hide it for the CT ( hide the scoring) so at the end of each tour the different teams could appreciate their accomplishments more so, also would prob make people fly in the CT more to try harder ( the ones going for score) to be on top at the end of the tour........

just a thought........
I know alot of MA flyers don't care about respect, but in the CT at least try to honor your wingmans skills and his opponent ( <--- is my main complaint)

I want to see the CT prosper and thrive and grow

as for tonight, I saw  2 red dots the whole time I was in there until you came in then they were a few more....

but it isn't much of a fun fight when it is 3 bishops ( allied ) and around 17 to 22 Knights ( axis) and you only seeing 1 or 2 of the overnumbered side actually looking for a fight , with the rest milkrunning........

could be monday nights are an off night in the CT as well I don't know but this is what I saw........

I should clarify that the time 10 to 15 minutes  and the 17 to 22 knights is exagerated :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 02:40:21 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2004, 11:15:30 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo

p.s. What'll get more pilots to try the CT is HT bumping the CT arena to the top of the selection list for a month and a couple hundred eager beavers click on it instead of the MA and a third of `em go ... "Whoa! Cool!" :D

most excellent idea Arlo, maybe alternate them each month at least?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2004, 11:16:36 PM »
TC if you can't kill a con in 10 mins you deserve to have it picked.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2004, 11:20:51 PM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12

ole mighty Skull12   please show me the light my master! I beg of thee!  :cool:

I doubt very seriously if you would have lasted 2 revs with him, but hey I  am just your average humble flight simmer
You are shane's prodige wannabee  am I right? :D

btw how good are you at stall fighting a P47D11loaded 100% fuel  against a 109? as in under 120 ias
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 11:23:48 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2004, 11:24:41 PM »
TC,

Those numbers are rare in the CT. It's usually numbered in the allied favor.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2004, 11:30:39 PM »
yeah Bear actually most times I find the CT self balances itself pretty good when I log in,  and maybe the people there had planned a mission and the opposite side showed up late or something........

I have no clue why it was that way, just like Skull12 there pokes his comment in not knowing I had just took off from a base with maybe 3 or 4 k alt and the 109 was a good alt above me.....

its that word you know "ASSUMPTION"  it is the mother of all screw ups!

I do recall telling arlo I either didn't or couldn't see the other dots he refered me too, I actually thought everyone on knights was in GV mission mode  except for allmetal and Redd........

no biggie........just venting a whee bit :D

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2004, 01:03:14 AM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12

sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about.

Haven't known TC long at all but he's a fine pilot and, flys a very nice P47 as I found out.  Later in the night he deliberately stayed out of a 1 on 1, I was having with someone else , until he was asked to help.

Earlier in the night he and I had gone round and round for a  few minutes 1 on 1 - and a spit came in and cherrypicked me. No big deal it's part of the game , neither of us complained or *****ed on ch 1, but it spoiled a good fight , was a shame.

Most people probably don't understand what he's talking about , as there is very little "honor" left in the game these days I think he was maybe hoping CT was a little  different due to the small numbers, and I think in many cases that's true.  But , some people don't seem to think there is any value or place for "honor" in the arenas , that's fair enough too.

But it's the same as everywhere else in life ,  it takes all kinds . Makes it even better when you do run into someone occasionally who does think about these things   TC

I don't get to spend much time in the CT  due to my normal flying hours being  at the wrong time, but when I do I usually have  a good time, it's way preferable to the MA at 500 people ,
I come from a land downunder

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2004, 01:05:25 AM »
1.  Shane was my teacher.  He tauht me some basic's of ACM.

2. D11 vs. 109 is easy.  just gety our stall speed lower than him with flaps and get on six then watch him try in vein to get away from you.  unless its a G10.

Also there is no need to ask, if they pop off so what support@hitechcreations.com  the Fair and long fight might be Found in the DA, but even still that is remote at best.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2004, 02:02:27 AM »
Skull you are one of the clueless ones
that about raps it up......

as far as Shane/Oopsy goes he has always been a great  instructor and the comment about you being his wannabeelike mike chracter was all in jest.........

I personally have never had any issues or  insults toward Shane or from him.........just some fun ribbin each other in the past 7+ years (can't remember exactly how long Oopsy :D  )

Redd on the other hand understands
big to ya Redd and the few fights we had against each other were pure delight

Skull12, one thing that stands out is you said Shane taught you, if this is the case you must be  new or young to the world of  WWII flight Sims this is why you lack the knowledge of understanding the concept of respect and honor of not cherry picking, dropping in on or stealing someone's already engaged battle, also if you had a keen eye you would know if the fella needed help or if he has it under control just by the motions of the way the fight is going

If you think it is that easy, give me a time to meet you in any arena you take off full of fuel in a P47D11 and I fly what ever 109 version you want with me having  1 to 2 k alt advantage and you show me you can take me out so easily as you pointed it out to be.......... and then we will switch the set up and I will fly the D11 and you in the 109 same setup

Shane might have taught you, but that does not make you  Shane......

btw...
Also there is no need to ask, if they pop off so what support@hitechcreations.com the Fair and long fight might be Found in the DA, but even still that is remote at best.

what are you talking about in this lil statement? there is no need to ask.  ask what? and as for Fair fight, the only true fair fight is a set Duel with both planes as equal as possible....
We are not talking about fair fights here, we are talking about respecting and honoring a countrymens fight verses cherrypopping his opponent just to score an easy kill. It is no different than vulching in my opinion...I see you are to nieve to understand the difference

now with out further ado lets quit hijacking this thread and get back on topic,  to getting more people in the CT arena....what ya say ?

my apologies for  carrying this lil fest on Tex and others.........

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2004, 02:24:57 AM »
Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
I guess what I wanted to say was that during squad nights there is a mission subject. Each side sets out to accomplish a givin task. This task may or may not include dogfighting.  

This is all great P6, is this by chance something setup  between a number of squads? something maybe similar to  Squad Ops like we have on Friday night at 11pm est? except it isn't timed  and you are not limited to just 1 life.......or is it done independently by any squad that wants to participate?

I hope I have not mislead anyone in thinking all I want to do in the CT is just as you put it furball or  dogfight 1 on  1.
I do enjoy that aspect but I too look for more things to do........

can you elaborate more on this please