Author Topic: CT needs more pilots...  (Read 4237 times)

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2004, 11:06:37 AM »
Originally posted by Sable
Well this current setup definitely seems to be drawing better numbers.  We were seeing 10-15 per team for a while last night.  I'm not sure if thats due to icons changes, or due to the planes available.

Perhaps there is a better way we could advertise the fact that the CT is using full icons and DAR to the folks in the MA? I get the feeling that there are a lot of people in Seeker's boat who just don't know and would give the CT a try to see if they like the allied/axis setup.

THERE IS NO FULL DAR IN THE CT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2004, 11:36:50 AM »
I can relate to TexMurphy

Hitech, if I recall correctly did you creat WarBIrds? You dont have to answer that but here is my point:

WarBirds was the first flight sim I ever tried. I just happened to see it included with a joystick I was looking at for my daughter. I purchased the stick just to try the game. When I logged into the game the first thing that caught my attention was the "HISTORIC ARENA" I knew that was for me. That is where I met LOWEJG and JESTER. That was around 6 years sgo.  I canceled my account when my computer no longer played the game. The updat WarBirdsIII was too much for my computer. I had to cancel my account. I was then told about AH. I downloaded the game and cam imediatley to the CT. I was told the CT was the same as the HA in WarBirds. When I first started HA is was much like the HA in WarBirds. One reason why was do to the fact that many of the players were ex WBs players. Eventually I got a new computer but thast beside the point.

I fly this sim for the realistic type settings and somewhat Realistic Combat Settings. There is more to combat flying than just going balls to the wall to the nearest furball.

The CT is to be different than the MA in other than just historic plane match ups. If you want to fight "like" planes, go to the MA.
If you want to use your brain for something other than a hat rack, fly the CT. The fight starts from the moment you enter the arena, not just getting on the tail of an enemy aircraft. An arena with these settings is bound to have low numbers. It is not for everyone.

It has been reported on this UBB that some of the most fun has been during thursday night Target for Tonight squad activities. The night starts out with a purpose, a mission. Do what you can to accomplish the mission. Seldom do the missions get accomplished as planed. Things go wrong, things change. Expect the unexpected. Fifteen minutes of bordom followed my five minutes of shear terror followed by death or another fifteen minutes of boardom returning home. I hear about guys actually shaking when they land. Its a game but it can be played in a way that one looses themself in it. You cant do that from "furballing". There is more excitment in finding a planed mission. Trying to think the way the other guys thinks. What are they doing, what would I do? Where would they be if it were me? Damnnn that sounds familure. Anyone can learn how to dogfight. Not just anyone can e a leader in a group effort.

If you are LOOKING for a 1 vs 1 fight, the Dualing Arena needs you not the CT!! Dont come into the CT and fly into a mass of enemy fighters and expect a 1 vs 1 fight. It woun't happen. DOnt come into the CT and brag about how good you are 1 vs 1 and then cry when you get killed by guys that work as a team.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 11:40:52 AM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2004, 12:23:56 PM »
Hi HT! How many scotch IOU's have I written to date? (heh) Add one more if ya come fly with us this Thursday. :D

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2004, 12:25:35 PM »
Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
THERE IS NO FULL DAR IN THE CT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the biggest reason why the CT will have a hard time raising the numbers. If you would here the whines in the MA about dar being down you could understand how important it is. In the CT with no dar it is a long process to find a fight. The CT does not have the numbers to quickly be able to find a fight without dar. The Icon range doesnt help at all. If you can find a compromise to these to issues I bet your numbers would go up. But you CT guys are too stubborn. Just an opinion from someone who flys in the MA who visits the CT from time to time.

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2004, 12:30:31 PM »
Originally posted by jamusta
This is the biggest reason why the CT will have a hard time raising the numbers. If you would here the whines in the MA about dar being down you could understand how important it is. In the CT with no dar it is a long process to find a fight. The CT does not have the numbers to quickly be able to find a fight without dar. The Icon range doesnt help at all. If you can find a compromise to these to issues I bet your numbers would go up. But you CT guys are too stubborn. Just an opinion from someone who flys in the MA who visits the CT from time to time.

THERE IS NO FULL DOT DAR IN THE MA EITHER!!!! There is basicly no difference in MA dar and CT dar. I just asume HTC close down the CT than to open up a dot dar were you can see dots everywhere. What is soo damnn funny is when I do log into the MA, the dar is always dead from guys bombing the HQ. SO technicly, there is more dar in the CT than MA.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 12:33:39 PM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline Sable

• Copper Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2004, 12:32:50 PM »

If you go into the CT and look on the clipboard it will show you every plane in flight as long as it is within radar range of a base.  But on the current map the base range is much greater then it normally is in the MA, so you can basically see everyone everywhere (unless they are taking a tour of the North Sea).  Dar in the CT is basically BETTER then it is in the MA.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2004, 12:33:34 PM »
I think jamusta just unintentionally brought up an interesting point. If full dar was a component of the CT 24/7 (which I apparently mistakenly thought it was now) would a percentage of the MA players it attracts be dedicated HQ porkers? If so, what's worse, reduced historical dar settings 100% of the time or dar porked out entirely 80% of the time?

I'm flexible. Set the CT dar and dot to MA norm. The crutch is universal. I'll pretend WWII had global positioning. But if there's regular whining in the MA about dar being porked all the time, you'd think limited dar that doesn't generally get porked in the CT would be something attractive. ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2004, 12:37:11 PM »
If you go into the CT and look on the clipboard it will show you every plane in flight as long as it is within radar range of a base.  But on the current map the base range is much greater then it normally is in the MA, so you can basically see everyone everywhere (unless they are taking a tour of the North Sea).  Dar in the CT is basically BETTER then it is in the MA.

Heh ... go figure. Seems visits to the stubborn filled CT may be suffering from prejudiced eyesight of the occasional MA visitor. (Yeah .. ok ... we HAVE made adjustments to appease the masses after all. Glad it wasn't just my imagination.) :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 12:40:37 PM by Arlo »

Offline Sable

• Copper Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2004, 12:48:23 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
(Yeah .. ok ... we HAVE made adjustments to appease the masses after all. Glad it wasn't just my imagination.) :D

That's what I'm saying.  I don't think anyone realises that these changes were made, and we'd probably have a lot of people interested in trying it out if they knew.

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2004, 12:49:56 PM »
I have not really been tracking what the settings are for dar. I have not flown in the CT for a few weeks. If the dar has changed it must have been recently changed. I dont think you have to worry about HQ porkers. I try to give you my opinon on the CT. I like the CT and what it stands for. I just hate trying to find a fight or chasing a con only to find out its friendly. I have other issues with the CT but thats for another thread.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2004, 12:55:08 PM »
That's what I'm saying.  I don't think anyone realises that these changes were made, and we'd probably have a lot of people interested in trying it out if they knew.

Did mah best bro. I made the banner link to the CT website to advert any and everything the entire AH community may be interested in regarding the CT. I even took to starting "This week in the Combat Theater" threads but the feedback was either positive posts from players already flying there or negative ones from players citing reasons for not flying that revealed they didn't even actually bother reading the details of my post or the website.

Hehe ... I've come to a conclusion that many made up their minds long ago and there's absolutely nothing can be done to get them to change their opinions. :D

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2004, 12:55:20 PM »
Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
THERE IS NO FULL DOT DAR IN THE MA EITHER!!!! There is basicly no difference in MA dar and CT dar. I just asume HTC close down the CT than to open up a dot dar were you can see dots everywhere. What is soo damnn funny is when I do log into the MA, the dar is always dead from guys bombing the HQ. SO technicly, there is more dar in the CT than MA.

Full dar to me means dar bar and all. What does it mean to you? Full dot dar is not needed, just point me in the right direction. Losing dar in the Ma is not that big of a deal to me since I can up from a frontline field and find a fight. If there are only 20 people in the arena then there would be difficulty finding a fight.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2004, 12:56:03 PM »
I have other issues with the CT but thats for another thread.

No it isn't. Address them here.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2004, 12:58:40 PM »
Full dar to me means dar bar and all. What does it mean to you? Full dot dar is not needed, just point me in the right direction. Losing dar in the Ma is not that big of a deal to me since I can up from a frontline field and find a fight. If there are only 20 people in the arena then there would be difficulty finding a fight.

This has always been somewhat of a curiousity to me. I've never once ... not once ... had a hard time finding where the fight was in the Ct under any of the settings that have been tried there.

Not once.

Well .... except when there wasn't one to be found (IE: Everyone on the other side was hanging out in a tower doing .... something.

:D

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2004, 01:02:07 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Did mah best bro. I made the banner link to the CT website to advert any and everything the entire AH community may be interested in regarding the CT. I even took to starting "This week in the Combat Theater" threads but the feedback was either positive posts from players already flying there or negative ones from players citing reasons for not flying that revealed they didn't even actually bother reading the details of my post or the website.

Hehe ... I've come to a conclusion that many made up their minds long ago and there's absolutely nothing can be done to get them to change their opinions. :D

The CT has been set in its ways so most dont think you guys are trying to make changes to bring up the numbers. Advertising is in order. Not here on the BBS but in the MA. Most players dont visit here. I would be more than willing to bring my squad in to fly but when we are on the numbers are really low. Although I am not a die hard CTer I dont want to see it go either. It adds another demension to the game when I get tired of the MA.