Author Topic: Chainsaws, Best one?  (Read 584 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 05:54:51 PM »
In general I think that most guys think the bigger the chainsaw, the better.  Not true.  Big saws are great for really big trees, but you can get a lot more work done with a little light one.  I was cutting a large stand of small trees with 3 other guys once.  They had big manly name brand saws, I had a little POS Homelight. Their saws were big and heavy and they had to stop rest every tree or two; I could use mine like a motorized machete. I cut down more trees that the three of them together, seriously.  My little POS Homelight was so light, I could climb a ladder, start it 20’ up and use it one handed, arm outstretched.  

In the end, it all comes down to the chain.  Keep it sharp and it will take stuff down.  
I’d rather have a little saw with an extra chain and a sharpener that an expensive name brand saw.

eskimo

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 05:56:59 PM »

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 07:32:31 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ

If I was buying me a chainsaw today I wouldnt get anything less than THIS MODEL

now that is a chainsaw. might have to make me one like it :)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 07:57:42 PM »
I don't use them much anymore, but have always been happy with husqvarna.

with chainsaws, like most other machines, you get what you pay for.  whatever you pick, don't go with the bargain basement brands, you don't save much cash when you have to replace it too often.

whatever you buy, buy a couple spare chains and a chain-file.  every brand performs better with a sharp chain.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 09:16:53 PM »
I'm shooting for a light chainsaw...

Don't want, nor need, a big and heavy one...
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 09:42:09 PM »
Listen to Eskimo, and learn to sharpen your blade.  not every time you use it, but as you use it.  FYI, the same goes for hoes and shovels.

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2004, 10:08:29 PM »
Steheil (sic) makes a very good chainsaw.

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2004, 10:45:01 PM »
Originally posted by Hawklore

For the Hurrican cleanup you are probrably buying the thing for...Anything at Home Depot or Lowes will do..even a Sears will get the job done and they all seem to last alright.

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2004, 10:45:52 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
Listen to Eskimo, and learn to sharpen your blade.  not every time you use it, but as you use it.  FYI, the same goes for hoes and shovels.

And make sure you re-tension after every few trees or that chain comes right off:D

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2004, 10:48:08 PM »
Well, that is a given if you are sharpening it often enough.  Don't skimp on the chain oil either.

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2004, 10:50:28 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
Well, that is a given if you are sharpening it often enough.  Don't skimp on the chain oil either.

Some don't know. I loaned mine to someone(NEVER AGAIN!) and they ruined the chain and the chain guide by letting it run too loose. Came clean afterwards and said he never used one before. So just some advice for a possible chainsaw noob.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2004, 10:53:53 PM »
It is easy to pick out a chainsaw noob in the crowd, they are the one missing parts or bleeding profusely.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2004, 11:40:38 PM »
Originally posted by Coolridr
Some don't know. I loaned mine to someone(NEVER AGAIN!) and they ruined the chain and the chain guide by letting it run too loose. Came clean afterwards and said he never used one before. So just some advice for a possible chainsaw noob.

don't forget rule #1-3 for the chainsaw borrowing noob.
 1.  when you borrow a saw for a day or more, it should come back clean, sharp, the gas can full and with a brand new(unopened) chain.
 2. better to ask the questions have them think you are a no-nothing moron, then bring back a broken saw and prove it.
 3. Kevlar chaps kick ass, and save femoral arteries.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2004, 12:34:36 AM »
The BEST I've ever used was a Sachs Dolmar, German saw costs more than some vehicles you can haul it in. My brother in law bought it, the thing is incredible.

But I'm a poor redneck rebel SOB, so I own a Stihl Woodboss. Having owned and used most everything on the market, the Stihl has been the best affordable saw, the Husquvarna is about the same.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline schizer

• Copper Member
Chainsaws, Best one?
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2004, 06:53:31 AM »
Originally posted by Hawklore

Go to Sears and buy a cheap craftsman model.  Obviously you have never had the need for one prior to the hurricane so why dump a bunch of $$$ into something your gonna use maybe once or twice every 10 years.