Author Topic: SETI on to something?  (Read 966 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
SETI on to something?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2004, 03:46:25 PM »
Pfft - Dell already sells computers on Vega III.

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2004, 03:47:13 PM »
question.....

1 - If the aliens are younger then us, no communication possible.

2 - If Aliens same as us, too much distance & time too communicate.

3 - If Aliens are much smarter(or older as civilization) maybe they can teach us some form of faster communication, or they're actually here, right now and just don't want to be seen, hey maybe we are ginny pigs to their experiments.

the use of LASER's will come into account when we decide too communicate over long distances

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2004, 03:52:29 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
Pfft - Dell already sells computers on Vega III.

Aha.. so thats why the guys on support already speak Vegan if you ask them anything.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
SETI on to something?
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2004, 03:58:09 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Aha.. so thats why the guys on support already speak Vegan if you ask them anything.

Yup.

They even have a Vegan version of AH (theyve been watching, you know).

"WWII Atmosphereic Earth Flight Simulator" or some such ****... dunno.. been awhile since Ive seen them and the probing was painful last time.

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2004, 04:03:05 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Radio waves travel at the speed of light.

It is not to hard to imagine why radio waves would be used in some form by an intelligent life.  It is a basic component of what is emitted from various sources throughout the Universe.
If you want to get a handle on what is 'out there', a basic understanding of radio waves is very helpful.

Since we are sending radio waves, since when 1950 or 1960?,
our signals traveled maximal 60 lightyears. We still have 940 years to go for this special star between the constellations Pisces and Aries ;)
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2004, 04:23:03 PM »
IF they sent radio signals a 1000 years ago then they may have the technology to come here by now then perhaps..... and maybe they have been here!!

i better borrow my moms glasses and run outside to look for them!!

:cool:

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2004, 04:24:41 PM »
Originally posted by Gh0stFT
Since we are sending radio waves, since when 1950 or 1960?,
our signals traveled maximal 60 lightyears. We still have 940 years to go for this special star between the constellations Pisces and Aries ;)

We've been broadcasting sice earlier than that. Radio since the turn of the 20th century...Television RF waves since the late 40's

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2004, 04:34:42 PM »
BlueJ, a lightyear is not a time, it's a distance.

A light year is the distance light can travel in a year.  Consider that it takes light from the sun to travel 93 million miles to us in 8 minutes.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2004, 05:08:29 PM »
I have Seti@home software on my PC. 3810 hours according to the latest figures. Could it have been my PC that discovered an extraterrestial civilisation? If it was it would be only useful thing the blasted machine ever did.

Having said that I doubt if some civilisation is out there transmitting something hoping it's picked up by some distant aliens. More likely it's the equivalent of junk TV or whatever. Although it is interesting to think that everything I ever said on VHF  radio is somewhere out there in space.  Perhaps one day aliens will land wanting to speak to 'Charlie Uniform'  or 'Victor Whiskey'. :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 05:11:20 PM by cpxxx »

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2004, 05:15:35 PM »
Originally posted by Coolridr
We've been broadcasting sice earlier than that. Radio since the turn of the 20th century...Television RF waves since the late 40's

ok then, make it plus 20 year more or so but what does this change
compared to the 1000 lightyears LOL ;)
we maybe end up 100 ly maximum at sending our ET broadcast.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2004, 05:25:57 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
I have Seti@home software on my PC. 3810 hours according to the latest figures. Could it have been my PC that discovered an extraterrestial civilisation? If it was it would be only useful thing the blasted machine ever did.

Having said that I doubt if some civilisation is out there transmitting something hoping it's picked up by some distant aliens. More likely it's the equivalent of junk TV or whatever. Although it is interesting to think that everything I ever said on VHF  radio is somewhere out there in space.  Perhaps one day aliens will land wanting to speak to 'Charlie Uniform'  or 'Victor Whiskey'. :D

I've been trying to download SETI@home for some time now..thought I'd help out..but after registering I got to the download page and can't get the download to start. Like their servers are down or something.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
SETI on to something?
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2004, 05:26:09 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx

Interesting, I've had Seti@Home running for 98,325 hours.  Slacker.  :D  

User: Chairboy (Super Karate Monkey Death Car!)
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
SETI on to something?
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2004, 05:30:26 PM »
Originally posted by Coolridr
I've been trying to download SETI@home for some time now..thought I'd help out..but after registering I got to the download page and can't get the download to start. Like their servers are down or something.

Probably overloaded.  I didnt even know this program existed.

Ill end up DLing it.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2004, 06:00:28 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Interesting, I've had Seti@Home running for 98,325 hours.  Slacker.  :D  

User: Chairboy (Super Karate Monkey Death Car!)

Hmm 98 325 hours, that's 4096,875 days or 11 years. So you downloaded the thing in 1993?  Care to explain that? Considering Seti@home only started in 1998?  Are you an alien who had access to future technology way back in 1993?  I think the men in black may be paying you a visit sometime soon.:aok

Joking aside I have seen that on a few PC's Must be a glitch on the software.

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
SETI on to something?
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2004, 06:04:29 PM »
Does anyone have the installation file they can e-mail me....the old SETI@home download is incomplete and the server for the BOINC version is timing out:mad: