Author Topic: @#$@#$# drones  (Read 751 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
@#$@#$# drones
« on: September 07, 2004, 08:10:26 PM »
Cant say this is unique to AH2, but it seems 1/3 to 1/2 of my buff missions (usually B17)---1 drone or the other reFUSES to keep up, this is say...7 k, 2/3 throttle...ya level, and the stupid thing just falls back...had a REAL odd one last night...upped a group of lancs....as they sit on runway, all in a row, the rear-most lanc took off BACKWards, got a few hundred yards away, then exploded....tried it agin, DIDNT start engines this time..same thing happened...damndest thin i ever saw;
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 11:11:24 PM »
I also fly alot of bomb runs, I havent had much of a problem with any of them except the 17's same as you describe so I rarelly fly 17's any more. I never had any problem with them in AH1.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 04:06:52 AM »
everytime that i have chosen to take a formation of bombers, all the drone blow up. the last case i was in a slight climb and they were far behind so i leveled and they blew up. happens everytime

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 06:45:05 AM »
Was this a field in the Baltic terrain by any chance?  As far as I remember there is a field at the north end of the map where the runway runs uphill and it is impossible to take off in any heavy bomber.   That would also explain a drone rolling back without the engines being started.

Great care needs to be take during take-off of bomber formations.  I find levelling off as soon as possible, keeping straight and level and backing off the throttle a touch helps a great deal.  I go to outside view (F3) and Pan mode (F8) to watch the drones as they form up.  If they don't appear to be closing, back off the throttle slightly - doesn't need to be much - until they start to close, then hold the throttle setting until they form up. Once formed you can then start to make gentle turns - preferably by jumping to the chin or nose gun, going to outside view, use Zoom (Z combined with [ and ]) to get a good view, then turn using rudder only.  If any of the drones start to drift away, stop turning until it catches up again, then continue.  Turning too tightly and quickly will cause drones to blow up if they get too far away.  [edit] Turning this way whilst in auto-climb will also hold the climb at its current setting[/edit].

Use the outside view a lot especially during turns and make adjustments as necessary, and you should find they will stay with you OK.  :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 06:47:21 AM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 09:58:37 AM »
Good points Flossy, but there is a bug. I'm as good as anyone in the game in bombers and never spill a drop of champagne while flying them ( :) ), but there is a B-17 drone bug lurking somewhere.

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 11:50:08 AM »
Hmmm, can't say I've noticed it, then.  Took a formation up a couple of nights ago without any problems.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 02:45:46 PM »
I've only had it happen two times, both in B-17s. One drone begins losing altitude after 5 - 10 mins of normal (reduced from full power) climbout. I was unable to recover the drone both times after taking corrective action within 5 - 10 seconds of the drone's descent.

They just don't make drones like they used to. Now, back in my day...

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 08:01:24 PM »
My experiences reflect Rolex's.......To be sure, heap many problems can be had taking off (The lanc issue WAS on the high-alt base on west side baltic map  saturday or sunday)...but the ones that have been giving me new grief are well into flight
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 01:37:53 AM »
Happened again, same scenario.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 07:39:25 PM »
not that its a help to any of you guys, but i have NO issues with drones at all, apart from maybe ar234s........
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
      • http://www.eastex.net/moto
Drone problems
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 12:13:15 AM »
I never used autopilot until AH2. I will fight drones for 5 minutes or more if I try to take off manually. I also have noticed the B17s are harder to get to form up than even the Lancs.

Moto61

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Re: Drone problems
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 05:51:38 AM »
Originally posted by moto61
I never used autopilot until AH2. I will fight drones for 5 minutes or more if I try to take off manually.
Do you mean auto-takeoff rather than autopilot? I have never used auto-takeoff yet, and don't intend to; I prefer to have control, even if it is more difficult, and always use manual.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Drone problems
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 09:26:48 AM »
Originally posted by Flossy
Do you mean auto-takeoff rather than autopilot? I have never used auto-takeoff yet, and don't intend to; I prefer to have control, even if it is more difficult, and always use manual.  :)

well theres your problem there, you probably rotating to early, and trying to gain alt to fast, the drones will simply fall back when the "lead" does things they cant follow.

Use auto takeoff
roll using no flaps what so-ever
just as autotake off starts to rotate, put a touch of flaps out
once you get 300-500agl the drones will start to try and form on you, LEVEL @ 1000agl and throttle back a tad and raise flaps, wait for the drones to catch up, then go around 95% power.
use shift x to try and get 1000fpm climb while your level speed drops to a normal climbing speed, then press alt x. This stops the plane going into a 45 degree climb which is a great way of killing drones.

EVERYTHING needs to be smooth if you want your drones to follow, hitting alt x for auto climb at 240mph will cause a SHARP 4000fpm climb, before stalling out.

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 09:48:11 AM »
Erm thanks...... but it's not me having a problem.  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
@#$@#$# drones
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 10:56:03 AM »
Originally posted by Flossy
Erm thanks...... but it's not me having a problem.  ;)
lol k

but for the others, smoothness is the key