Author Topic: Do we need goon driver incentives??  (Read 551 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Do we need goon driver incentives??
« on: January 07, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »
Seems we have a poor showing for goony bird pilots.. poor bastids seem to get slaughtered for no material gain. Seems like we oughta come up with some kind of incentive for flying one.. lord knows we can get to and destroy bases with buffs but we can't seem to get anybody to bring a goon along on a mission for the capture. Kinda makes a big buff raid pointless.  

How about giving the Goony pilots the same points for dying they they'd get for a capture?? Or maybe gine 'em the same points the fighter gets for shooting them down when they die? Maybe double the points for succesful capture??

I dunno.. but we gotta do somethin I think. These guys are tryin like hell; but get dick for it, win or lose. In any case; the ones that do fly 'em; my hat's off to yah. Damn good show.. without you guys missions are a bust every time. <S!>

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2001, 02:03:00 PM »
I agree, something has to be done. These guys get shot down all the time, and get nothing for it. Without them, the little purpose there is in the game would be gone. I flew a goon for the first time this tour the other day. After Rtb'ing I had to look twice when I saw that you only get 1 frekkin point for an airfield capture. 1 point? Come on now, give a dog a bone.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

[This message has been edited by LJK Raubvogel (edited 01-07-2001).]

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
I am a gooney pilot as well. I do like flying C47's a lot. If there is a call then most of the time I will try and go out of my way to get there.

I do believe that there does need to be some sort of incentive.

Can I just get one thing clear to the whole community.
Gooney Drivers are totally mad  

No but really we do deserve some sort of incentive or "Reward" Don't we  

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »
Sounds good to me. Goons are great planes, if you put aside the fact that they simply aren't any good in a hostile situation. Give the drivers a reward of some sort.

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
Hi all,
 Couldn't agree more. I used to fly goons probably about 50% of the time back in Beta. Now I'll only up in a goon if people shout that a field is flat (and sometimes they lie)   or I will always grab a goon for one of Rips missions mainly because they are so well organised. As far as incentives go the best one I have heard so far was by Duma in another thread. Give the Goon driver points for each drunk into the maproom regardless of capture. That would promote multiple goons to a field. Also I've been responsible for the death of the odd fighter when flying a goon and never yet got any points for it.

Just my 2 cents

TTFN
snafu

------------------
  snafus Homepage

[This message has been edited by snafu (edited 01-07-2001).]

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »
Hey, if points would get more pilots to fly goons, then I am all for it.

I fly goons and buffs.  Flying a goon is a very thankless and tedious task.  I can't count how many times I have parked away from the field to cap for 20 to 30 minutes waiting for the call.

Of course, I amuse myself, and some of my country mates with various rituals while waiting.

I am not a point watcher myself.  I fly the goons because they are needed and not many others will fly em.

Yesterday we had a shining example of the problem.  Several of us bish, in lancs went to take 38 back from the nits.
We leveled the field, even had bombs left.  No ground forces left, no nothing left at the field.
We practically begged for a goon, but to no avail.  We had to RTB as we were low on fuel and finally one of our gusy says I'll bring a goon.  But it was way to late.  The field had completely repaired and we lost a very strategic field.

Of course, goon pilots are burned often when calls for goons go out, when the reality is, the field will not be captured and is not anywhere near ready for a goon (ie 30 enema fighters swarming the field = no cap).

I am all for whatever would entice pilots to fly a goon.

------------------
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
President, AppLink Corp.
http://www.applink.net
skuzzy@applink.net
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
How about a radio msg:

"So-in-SO has captured field x."

Fighters get kill msgs.  Yeah I know, lots of people contribute to a capture but the goon drivers but often there are lots of people who contribute to a fighters kill.

Let the goons have a little glory too.

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2001, 03:43:00 PM »
If successful, free perk points to use as they choose.  If you just lost your perk plane, you might just jump into a C-47 or M-3 .

IC

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2001, 03:50:00 PM »
Excellent thread from someone who has vowed not to fly goonies anymore.

We've all been begged to go to various fields, only to discover a FLOCK of fighters defending it, or that the ACK ISNT down after all.

But what can you do for them?  Sadly, nothing.  Its a sportmanship issue.  Some in the arena genuinely appreciate the work of the goons, while many just forget em or take them for granted.

Paul

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.aasvk.dk
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2001, 04:10:00 PM »
Yes give em it all:
Glory in the chatbuffer - " field xx has been captured by JohnDoe of Bus Drivers Union

More points, maybe some kind of reduction of the damage on the pilots kill/death ratio.
After all a goon pilots death is most often caused by the teams lack of support or a guy who calls Goon in at a bad time.

------------------
GrinBird

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
Good suggestion wabbit.  Throw in some glory for the gooney drivers and it ups the pride factor for those players.  Toss in a score or perk point bonus and bringing troops to the fight might become a little more popular.

------------------
eagl <squealing Pigs> BYA
Oink Oink To War!!!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Frosty1

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2001, 05:13:00 PM »

------------------
===>Frosty
====>Exposure2k.com
=====>Frosty@exposure2k.com

HaHa

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2001, 05:25:00 PM »
I agree, either give goon pilots lots of points when capturing a field or/and relegate the c47 driving duties to AI.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
I, for one, enjoy hopping in a goonie if there's call for one, and I'm not already in the air.  I'm not sure I like the idea of an AI controlled setup...it's the country's responsibility to find some way to get the troops there.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2001, 06:02:00 PM »
Give 10-15 Perk Points if the field is captured, fighter or bomber (driver's choice). But dont give a single point if they don't. Why? easy, because then people would spawn with C47s with no motive at all, just to get points.

with 15 Perk points per succesfull field capture, be sure that not only will be goons available...

there will be GOON RACES