Author Topic: I'm Bored  (Read 1169 times)

Offline RDSaustinTX

• Copper Member
I'm Bored
« on: September 09, 2004, 10:41:39 PM »
HT,

You've known me virtually for a decade now. I love flight sims and you've got an awesome program.

But all this 'balancing' stuff undermines challenge and variety. This ain't software, it's psychology. I haven't had a memorable night in months. The situation rarely changes and SA becomes less important.

You put all this ENY stuff in (I assume) because the rook numbers got high on Sundays. Do you realize the ONLY combined operations the bishops have done in two years was to counter that? Honest to god, Busher organized all our squads in e-mail. It was a blast. For me, the only reason to log on Sundays was to kill rook strat before the #'s arrived. Now that reason's gone.

(so is Busher)

The most memorable (and enjoyable) environment allows for unique, if not extreme, variation: I can remember nights we've had numbers and no fields, nights with fields and no numbers, sneaking 4 bases in a row, losing 4 bases in a row, keeping an hq down 6 hours, losing an hq 6 hours, etc.

Now, it's ALWAYS the same. Semi-even numbers, very slow-moving fronts, stalemate and endless, pointless furballs over the same fields day after day. Horde wars. Bout half the guys I had been winging with have just faded away...

You got one spot left on the smilie menu. Perhaps a big yawn.

Mullah

Offline ET

• Copper Member
I'm Bored
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 11:42:28 PM »
And the other half are suffering with boredom.Baltic map is the worst. Been fighting over the same bases all week long. Log off and come back 6 hours later and situation is the same.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Re: I'm Bored
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 01:11:46 AM »
Originally posted by RDSaustinTX
HT,

You've known me virtually for a decade now. I love flight sims and you've got an awesome program.

But all this 'balancing' stuff undermines challenge and variety. This ain't software, it's psychology. I haven't had a memorable night in months. The situation rarely changes and SA becomes less important.

You put all this ENY stuff in (I assume) because the rook numbers got high on Sundays. Do you realize the ONLY combined operations the bishops have done in two years was to counter that? Honest to god, Busher organized all our squads in e-mail. It was a blast. For me, the only reason to log on Sundays was to kill rook strat before the #'s arrived. Now that reason's gone.

(so is Busher)

The most memorable (and enjoyable) environment allows for unique, if not extreme, variation: I can remember nights we've had numbers and no fields, nights with fields and no numbers, sneaking 4 bases in a row, losing 4 bases in a row, keeping an hq down 6 hours, losing an hq 6 hours, etc.

Now, it's ALWAYS the same. Semi-even numbers, very slow-moving fronts, stalemate and endless, pointless furballs over the same fields day after day. Horde wars. Bout half the guys I had been winging with have just faded away...

Mullah

Yup, precisely. In one of my many posts on this subject I said the following which sums this up nicely.

Having numbers is rarely fun. Being moderately outnumbered is usually fun. Variety and unpredictability are ALWAYS FUN!

If fun is the goal, these are words to live by, code by and design by...

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
I'm Bored
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 01:23:22 AM »
"Semi-even numbers, very slow-moving fronts, stalemate and endless, pointless furballs over the same fields day after day"

These were about my exact words.  What a shame

Offline Purzel

• Copper Member
I'm Bored
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 02:35:57 AM »
Hmm, semi-even numbers let the country win which is best able to organize itself. Usually not us :)

The furballs are usually at one or to bases along the front of 2 countries. Pick another base, and you might be able to sneak in. But then there are these huge towns...

But the ENY-Thing is causing too much anger. I'm a knight, flying german planes mostly. It really doesnt affect me. But maybe it was better to try something else.

Not sure what that should be tho :)

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 03:00:53 AM »
HT,

(so is Busher)

Mullah
 LOL youre bored. Man I wish I was you lol. I cant even run ah2. But I am preety shure my wait for it has paid off.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
I'm Bored
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 07:59:31 AM »
yep.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 08:50:03 AM »
HT,

I believe it's just the opposite. It actually increases the challenge for the team with numbers and at the same time adds variety in the types of planes flown. I've had many more memorable flights/fights lately

(so is Busher)

The Rook numbers were not just high on Sundays as I hear alot these days. They were high EVERY DAY for about a year or so. Average 7-8pm CST was R=210 K=160 B=150

If it's alot of fun for you to sneak bases (avoid a fight) you can still do that now just as before. Killing the radar can still be done as well. Hate that myself. Wouldn't cause an entire country to be without radar for hours. Don't seem fair. Hitting a field dar I can see.

I think it's actually improved. It has become a bit harder to take a base. This has helped to stop the horde rolling over bases. There are more good fights to be found over the last couple of weeks. I think those that are leaving just don't like to fight or found their skills wanting in less uber models.

For this thread.

Mullah

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
I'm Bored
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 09:40:44 AM »
Nice you saved me a lot of typing Dipstick :D

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
I'm Bored
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 09:44:30 AM »
Originally posted by DipStick
I think it's actually improved. It has become a bit harder to take a base. This has helped to stop the horde rolling over bases. There are more good fights to be found over the last couple of weeks. I think those that are leaving just don't like to fight or found their skills wanting in less uber models.
I feel it has become too hard to capture a base.

Like going from the 256 to the 512 maps, it was a HUGE jump. The town seemed to quadruple in size.

Now as mentioned it is all a big furball over base XXX… in the course of a night in primetime seeing a base capture is almost no-existent. Even if it does happen the losers get it back in a few hours.

That thread on the psychology, and the gamers / VS the simmers had some good points... I like furballing sometimes yes...

But I fear the furballers have taken over AH forever. There is no point to the "war" anymore, there is no such thing as a reset, no loss of radar, just endless dogfights against planes below 5K

Which is "great" for my 190 to zoom through for the first few hours, but then the whole point is lost and it gets boring.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like AHII and HTC; I just think the community has changed, and along with the “gameplay” changes lately it seems to be heading in a direction different from what I personally would like.

I think there are others out there who also liked the idea of trying to “win the war” just for having a point to playing. I ALSO think there are people who just fly for “fun” and don’t care about the end result.

A happy medium is something extremely hard to accomplish, and I personally don’t see a solution. There have been many thoughts put out there by the HTC staff, and the community, but most just boil down to ones particular idea of the game.

<> to those that have put time into their ideas, but I believe inherently they are “slanted” towards a pre-defined ideal even with the best of intentions. I don’t think any human can be completely subjective on an issue that affects them.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
I'm Bored
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 10:01:05 AM »
Originally posted by JB73
I feel it has become too hard to capture a base.

Like going from the 256 to the 512 maps, it was a HUGE jump. The town seemed to quadruple in size.

I think the big towns were an attempt to slow down the steamroll and bring back the need for hvy bombers. You can still easily take a base by downing the 3 FHs and 1 VH 1st.

Now as mentioned it is all a big furball over base XXX… in the course of a night in primetime seeing a base capture is almost no-existent. Even if it does happen the losers get it back in a few hours.

Most of the fights I've seen are between bases which is a good thing (sorry to those who can only kill by vulching). Nothing wrong with taking a base back. If you take a base you should stay and defend it no?

That thread on the psychology, and the gamers / VS the simmers had some good points... I like furballing sometimes yes...

But I fear the furballers have taken over AH forever. There is no point to the "war" anymore, there is no such thing as a reset, no loss of radar, just endless dogfights against planes below 5K

We haven't "taken over" anything. HT has made design changes to promote better gameplay over the years. There never has been a "point" to the "war" other than 25 perkies. The "war" is simply there to promote A2A combat in WWII type aircraft.

Which is "great" for my 190 to zoom through for the first few hours, but then the whole point is lost and it gets boring.

You don't have to stoop to our level. ;) You can still fly high and fight others who fly high.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like AHII and HTC; I just think the community has changed, and along with the “gameplay” changes lately it seems to be heading in a direction different from what I personally would like.

The more you learn ACM the more you will like it. Hopefully TOD may be more to your liking too.

I think there are others out there who also liked the idea of trying to “win the war” just for having a point to playing. I ALSO think there are people who just fly for “fun” and don’t care about the end result.

A happy medium is something extremely hard to accomplish, and I personally don’t see a solution. There have been many thoughts put out there by the HTC staff, and the community, but most just boil down to ones particular idea of the game.

I agree!

<> to those that have put time into their ideas, but I believe inherently they are “slanted” towards a pre-defined ideal even with the best of intentions. I don’t think any human can be completely subjective on an issue that affects them.

I agree again!

PS... You're welcome mars. :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 03:26:12 PM by DipStick »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
I'm Bored
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 10:09:38 AM »
and yet those "pointless furballs" are the exact reason I log in nearly every night.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
I'm Bored
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 10:20:59 AM »
Originally posted by DipStick
The more you learm ACM the more you will like it. Hopefully TOD may be more to your liking too.  
nice way of picking apart what i said, and trying to sway me to "your" thought of what the game should be... exactly what i posted.

some people have a different view of what the game should be, and that is that.

i dont want to be an FM2 pilot on the deck with 20 other random con's in a fight for my life.

WWII ws not like that, and dont try and say it was. yes there were fights on the deck, but never a spit shooting an FM2 who's shooting an la7 who's shooting a zeke who's shooting a a different zeke who's shooting a different spit who's dodging a BNZ from a pony.

saying i should learm more ACM i actually take as an insult. i know i am not great, but im not trying to do what i just stated above.

because your l337 uber skillz let you fly in a random mess and get a few kills is no "better" than me being able to attack a bomber formation in a high speed pass without taking damage.

fly how you like, and stop insulting others for the way they fly, and stop trying to make everyone fly like you.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline koda76

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~dwdishman/
I'm Bored
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 10:46:10 AM »
Agree also

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
I'm Bored
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 10:51:04 AM »
"Semi-even numbers, very slow-moving fronts, stalemate and endless, pointless furballs over the same fields day after day"

That sounds absolutely perfect to me for what I expect from AH today and for why I play it in the first place. The best WW2 era A2A combat simulator on the market.

Instead of relying on the exciting strat element of "numbers," why not work towards encouraging HT to add a more involved use of the existing strategic elements  to cure the boredom (as opposed to the tactical base capture elements people keep calling strat)? I can play 50 marriage impacting hours a month of Civ 3 (using bombers to take out strategic elements like that critical oil or rubber resource and impact production while capturing strategic choke points and launching useful amphibious assults to disrupt defense), but have no interest in the "strat" steamroller tic-tac-toe elements of AH. Playing AH for strat with the current model is like using a porsche to haul sand in a landscaping business. IMO

Charon
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 12:39:34 PM by Charon »