Author Topic: nopoop-P47 question  (Read 750 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
nopoop-P47 question
« on: September 11, 2004, 05:56:40 PM »
Hate to even ask, but since your stuff is so good, I figured the worst you could do is say no.

There is an old WW2 fighter pilot by the name of Earl Miller, who used to fly Airwarrior with us.  He actually had an AH account for a bit too but doesn't fly anymore.  Needless to say he's a bit of a hero to those of us who have gotten to know him.

As he lives a few hours from me, I've been lucky enough to get at his photo collection.  He flew P39s, P38s and P47D-27s with the 345th FS, 350th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force over North Africa, Sicily and Italy, earning the DFC and Silver Star in the process.

If you ever get bored and are looking for another Jug to do, his was named Viking.  I'm not positive on the serial number nor is he, as he didn't note it in his logbook, but the 5C is the correct code for the flight he commanded so I did a profile a while back with a best guess at the look.  Including images of the profile, his nose art, and a photo of his flight over the Po Valley in Italy.  He's not in that photo but it was taken by Art Schramm who was one of the pilots in his flight.

IT would be fun to show him a screenshot of his bird in flight in AH

It appears they have the OD behind the cockpit as well like your Eagleston bird.  I missed that in the profile

Thanks

Dan/Slack

« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 06:01:56 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
nopoop-P47 question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 08:53:38 PM »
Hell ya Guppy. Nothin better than a skin from a former player !!

Anything you got on the FG/FS would be great !! His history for submittal and his old "handle" ingame.

Good stuff.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
nopoop-P47 question
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 11:22:44 PM »
Thanks nopoop.

Go here:

http://www.worldwar2pilots.com/AAF-F-Miller,Earl01.htm

An old airwarrior buddy put this stuff up on Earl on his site.  He always went by 'earl' as his handle in AW and AH I assume.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
nopoop-P47 question
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 11:46:20 PM »
Cool, an unpainted nose without invasion stripes.

The picture at that site shows the "Viking" on the opposite side also. Is that so ?? And if you can give me his rank, date of the plane photo, model and base that he flew out of at the time. More the better ie: Missions, area of operations etc.

Then I'm set for submittal requirements.
nopoop

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
nopoop-P47 question
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 12:17:25 AM »
Captain Earl D. Miller
345th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force

Based at Tarquinia Italy, Fall of 1944, flying ground attackmissions in the Po Valley in support of the US 5th Army.

They were flying P47D-27 Thunderbolts.

To the best of my knowledge, "Viking" was only on the left side of the nose.

Earl flew 185 Combat missions, earning the DFC and Silver Star in the process.

Quoting from his Silver Star Citation:

"For gallantry in action.  On 21 December 1944, Captain Miller lead an eight plane formation of fighter-bombers in an attack on enemy rail lines near Gheadi, Italy.  Upon approach to the target, shell fragments from intense anti aircraft fire heavily damaged his aircraft.  Couragously  electing to continue on his mission, Captain Miller dived through the accurate barrage and guided his P47s on a perfect run over the objective, allowing them to score direct hits, cutting the tracks in five places. Despite the crippled condition of his plane, Captain Miller reformed his flight and lead repeated strafing attacks against rail lines and highways in the area, destroying or damaging six locomotives, seventeen freight cars and eleven motor vehicles, before returning his formation safely to base.  His gallant devotion to duty and outstanding proficiency in combat have reflected great credit upon himself and the armed forces of the United States."

Earl later flew over 100 combat missions in A1 Skyraiders while serving as an Advisor in the early stages of the Vietnam war.

Dan/Slack

BTW the photos were taken in the Fall of 44.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
nopoop-P47 question
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 08:40:46 AM »
Fantastic, that's all I need.

Thanks.
nopoop