Author Topic: Changing some settings to the ENY  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Changing some settings to the ENY
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 01:33:07 PM »
Originally posted by kj714
thanks HT for taking the time to analyze the impacts of ENY and make adjustments to it.

pffft.....they said the eny system would be tweaked when it first came out.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 01:37:01 PM »
Ironically, the new ENY curve is very similar to this graph:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 01:37:34 PM »
In an environment this large and dynamic, the ENY limiter needed time to be observed for its positive and negative results. This tweek to it is another validation that Hitech knows what he is doing. I know it is hard, but I wish we could be a little more patient and let the man do what he is very good at.

Ultimatly our FUN is in the best interests of his profit margine and enjoyment of the community with us.

-thanks for the adjustment Hitech-:)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 02:04:55 PM »
Touché Rolex! har har har...
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 02:33:41 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
pffft.....they said the eny system would be tweaked when it first came out.

Yeah, so?

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2004, 02:36:50 PM »
Uh.  Well.  Okay.  ENY, ONY, or INY, me fly, me shoot, me die, me replane.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2004, 02:38:07 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
It also doesn't kick in until there's at least a 40% or so disparity. As opposed to a 20% or so disparity under the old system, that is a big improvement in my opinion.

Zazen

So would it be safe to say that the ENY System isn't ...

"deeply and irrevocably flawed at its core"

and it also isn't ....

"fundamentally flawed and presumptuous"

and all it took was some patience for it to be ...

"a big improvement in my opinion"

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ... ;) :D
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2004, 02:57:59 PM »
Yeah, so?

Your original post came across like you thought HTC wasnt going to adjust the ENY limiter and that you were surprised by this post when in fact HiTech said it would be watched closely and tweaked as necessary.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline GODO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s/fw190.htm
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2004, 03:07:45 PM »
I havent followed all these new discusions and ideas about dissabling planes depending on player balance, but, why to dissable planes when you can perk them?

And a final note, surely already pointed by some one. If team A is obliterating and massively outnumbering team B, dissabling team A La7s (as an example) will be of no help at all for team B. But dissabing 110s, Typhs, P47s, P51Ds, F4U1Ds, P38s and buffs will have an inmediate and very noticeable impact. How about using OBJ instead of ENY?

Offline GODO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s/fw190.htm
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2004, 03:37:56 PM »
perk, ENY or OBJ, whatever system you use, you really can't control which team is really outnumbered, you only can control which team has more players. When some team has noticeable numbers advantage over the other two, it ends usually in an alliance against the most populated team, the result is that the outnumbered team is just the team with numbers advantage.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2004, 04:30:19 PM »
Thanks for the info HT. It is much appreciated  :)

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2004, 04:46:20 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
Your original post came across like you thought HTC wasnt going to adjust the ENY limiter and that you were surprised by this post when in fact HiTech said it would be watched closely and tweaked as necessary.

Nope, just saying thanks.

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2004, 05:07:23 PM »
So, ENY will kick in when a country has 40% more players, when the total online is 200.

Ok, that will work fine if one has faith in the ENY concept. It doesn't seem to get people to switch sides though. We've seen over the past few weeks that it doesn't. The hordes will still up high ENY slowbies. And players who don't like the ENY system will still not like it.

I think what may help players feel better about the ENY system is a new programmer key command (like ctrl-i, for frame rates and memory usage) that would pop up the country numbers and the current ENY percent and ENY value. Then we as players could monitor the team strengths and current ENY value. (If we wanted to keep our ponies and 262's, we would fly them away from the front when we saw that we couldn't reup in them.)

If it looked like the game was approaching ENY time, I'm fairly sure guys would start thinking about changing sides. Maybe.

But, it's the after-the-fact implimentation of ENY that I think really riles the players up. All of a sudden, you try to up your favorite ride to defend a base, and up pops ENY. I wonder how many slammed keyboards have been a reaction to that.

If the players are given more "control" over how to even the teams, I'm pretty sure the guys will take more control. It's really no fun blowing away a country with half the numbers.

If a squad CO sees ENY approaching, they can tell their guys to switch. If guys log on after and don't see their buddies anywhere, they can see what country people are at by looking at the roster.

And if you're flying along in your favorite low ENY aircraft, and you hit the above proposed ENY key command and see ENY is now 15, you'll know it's time to protect your aircraft and run.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2004, 05:13:14 PM »
you're aware right-clicking on the clipboard map and left-clicking on country status will bring up the eny-limiter data?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2004, 05:15:31 PM »
Nope, just saying thanks.

My bad then :)