Author Topic: Changing some settings to the ENY  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Changing some settings to the ENY
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2004, 05:18:19 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
So would it be safe to say that the ENY System isn't ...

"deeply and irrevocably flawed at its core"

and it also isn't ....

"fundamentally flawed and presumptuous"

and all it took was some patience for it to be ...

"a big improvement in my opinion"

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ... ;) :D

No, it is still deeply flawed at it's core. This change just makes it have less of an impact. So, the flawed system doesn't effect as many people as often as it did before, that's where the improvement is. Nothing will change the fact that it is flawed, until a new, more comprehensive system that also takes into account the disposition of forces replaces it.

Zazen
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 05:36:39 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2004, 05:25:47 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
you're aware right-clicking on the clipboard map and left-clicking on country status will bring up the eny-limiter data?

Ah, cool. Learn something new every day. Thanks. A programmer key with the same info would be nice though. Wishfull thinking.

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2004, 05:31:17 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
My bad then :)

No worries!:)

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2004, 05:38:05 PM »
Anything to curb the constant whining of the skill-challenged / historic based / we must have numbers squadrons is great. WTG HTC.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2004, 05:46:23 PM »
The ENY process = Social Engineering.

By its definition, attempting to engineer human nature will be flawed. The best we can hope for is a tuneing of the process to the point that we ignore it, but incorporate it emotionally as a game feature. In the best of cases, over time an evolution is reached that we emotionally look forward to immersing
ourselves in.

ENY still has a ways to go and shows a lot of promise. It would be interesting to see some of Hitech's future tollgates for this process to see where he is going. ENY looks like part of evolving the game into an expanded experience.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2004, 05:49:58 PM »
Originally posted by bustr
The ENY process = Social Engineering.

By its definition, attempting to engineer human nature will be flawed.  

Nice to know someone else besides me paid attention to those long psycho-sociology lectures in graduate school. ;)

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2004, 05:51:15 PM »
Ha!  Mr. HiTech, I say next time your gunna change something just do it and dont tell anyone,  that way, everybody will feel like something is different, but will not know why.   If it works you will know, and seems like you should be the one to notice if its working  or not.  your computers (player whine monitor) should be lower around 25%, instead of the usual 88% whine factor , you know that big red strip on the side of your monitor, that notifies you if its safe for you to log on to AH2, message boards, or when you feel really brave to enter the MA and say hi!  Hey its all good.  

We (well some of us) are gunna help you people figure this out, Not by whining our (most of us) arses off, but, by dealing with them to get to the end result.  The Initial Whiner Flak that flies before people give the (test changes) a chance is what I'm talking about.  Please make all the changes you want to the game(hehe,, like you need my permission) , they may turn out good or may turn out bad,  but its the end results thats added or removed from the game that matters.  thats how its gotta work to improve the game.    

ok who moved the nudie bar?  now thats unforgivable!  put it back and every thing will be just fine!    ahem....   <-- whine

disclosure: I'm not saying anyone in this post is whining!  <---  wheww....

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2004, 05:57:58 PM »
Tactic. I think you are seriously under estimating the AH Community.

As for the eny system...Effectively and practicaly Fine tuning it is going to be impossible.
It will either be active or not. Therefore it will sometimes be ignored (Not active per settings) or it will be dispized (Too active to please the players who want to fly certian AC)
The system by nature takes a tangible tool from the effected players hands. This is what makes the system disliked by some.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 08:47:51 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2004, 06:08:10 PM »
tactic,

I noticed one thing missing in AH2. Hitech removed all of the nudist camps in the high hidden valleys. I used to find em by accident when I would skid in with a dead engine. Thats where the Swedish non-Bikini team was hanging out.

I want those nudie camps back. Makes up for how bad I am at this game.:)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2004, 07:53:50 PM »
So:

Largest country   138
Smallest country  100
Middle country     >100 & <138

This gives us approximately 350 players on line.  This is OK!

If:

Largest country   100
middle country      80
smallest country    50

What does the graph look like?
You see...at this number there is physically not enough players in the arena to reset it.  Yet any cooperation at all between the small and medium countries creates a gang-bang.

I submit that the Eny "Kickin" total number of 200 is too low.  From playing expierence, 350 might be a better guess.  The numbers problem was really only evident on Sundays when numbers of 425 + were playing.

This also only addresses one part of the current problem.

Plane and building hardness - Is this to be scaled as Hitech indicated it might be?  If so....big problem.

Perked rides - The cost of perked planes needs to be scaled at a lesser rate than it currently is when Eny Limiter is in effect.  What does the graph of Perked costs versus Fields owned and player numbers look like?