Author Topic: Aces High Most Deadly  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2004, 08:07:46 AM »
Originally posted by Tilt
btw any one notice which ac consistantly hands the la7 its bellybutton (plane v plane) month on month?

f4u-1c
fw190d-9
typhoon

all 3 have a consistently positive k/d vs the la-7. in no small part due to the nature of the pilots who fly those 3... cherrypickers who have as good an ability to run  (to ack in case of chog) as they claim la7's do.

109g-10 is about even.

fw190a-5 also runs fairly even.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 08:10:31 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Sabre1

• Zinc Member
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2004, 08:27:12 AM »
The large number of GV kills are being influenced by the length of time we have been on this map. 75% of these Panzer kills are coming from Tank Town(Tank Valley, Tank Field, whatever you want to call it now)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2004, 08:38:49 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin
..................... manned ack/ 5 inch guns will be leading the kill lists... you never have to "die" in those.

Its a valid point IMO............. there should be "consequences" for "dieing" in a ship/land gunner position just as there should for dieing when gunning an ac.
Ludere Vincere

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2004, 09:27:39 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin
you see it as "diversification", I see it as *****fication.  People that can't hack it in planes jump in a manned ack, or a flak*****.. pretty disgusting I think.  

Give it about a year, manned ack/ 5 inch guns will be leading the kill lists... you never have to "die" in those.

I think I do just fine in aircraft.
but sometimes I feel like a change of pace. or I plain get bored with flying.
so then I'll jump in a tank. Even for defence against aircraft inasmuch as I seem to be able to kill more plains with the main gun on my Tank then I can in a FP.
Or I just go on GV attack/defence. I've been involved with some great GV battles that were every bit as fun as the best dogfights I've been in.
Like I said I do it as a change of pace or when I get bored with flying.

If you dont like GVs dont up i them,. simple as that. Your choice do do what you like or feel like doing.
Some folks here only do Gvs  and rarely go up in aircraft. And thats their choice.
I dont see the problem with either other then there are some people who will always have the attitude of
"You dont play the game MY way so therefore you are a dweeb"
But those type people have probably been around longer then GVs have.
And like the GVs they aint going anywhere.
So we have threee choices. We can accept it, Do something else.
Or just moan about it.
Either way they are here for good
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2004, 09:46:33 AM »
A classic example of statistics being able to prove anything.
As Karnak says,
Try totaling fighter kills and see how that looks next to the Panzer IV H. That would be a much more realistic view.

Think of it this way: the LA-7 has 17% of the total kills of panzer, ostie and ack combined, and is only 1 of fifty or so aircraft.

Are you lot seriously bemoaning the fact that people are not upping from a 20 plane field cap/vulch - but instead roll an ostie and try and do something about it?  Or for a change of pace chose to play hide and seek in things with big guns?

Total Aircraft Kills : 218901
Total GV, Guns and Boat : 117678

Aircraft have 65% of all kills in AH2
GV's have 35% of all kills in AH2

The current "big 5" (no spitIX or ponyD) have only a few more kills than the panzer: 65158
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 10:19:44 AM by Darkish »

Offline Heiliger

• Copper Member
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2004, 10:12:06 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK

Or I just go on GV attack/defence. I've been involved with some great GV battles that were every bit as fun as the best dogfights I've been in.
Like I said I do it as a change of pace or when I get bored with flying.

Man I agree, I think some of the most fun I have had in this game, were battles involving large numbers of both GVs and planes.

Great stuff!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2004, 10:32:13 AM »
Originally posted by Shane
f4u-1c
fw190d-9
typhoon

all 3 have a consistently positive k/d vs the la-7. in no small part due to the nature of the pilots who fly those 3... cherrypickers who have as good an ability to run  (to ack in case of chog) as they claim la7's do.

109g-10 is about even.

fw190a-5 also runs fairly even.

Well, of those 3, 2 are typically the most timidly flown hands down (Tiffie, Dorun), and 1 is usually only flown in hordes anyway.

G-10 runs about even I'd expect because the planes slightly worse, but typically the pilots are much better, A5's the same way.

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2004, 11:31:26 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak

Try totaling fighter kills and see how that looks next to the Panzer IV H.  That would be a much more realistic view.

Ahhh... I was wondering if anyone else thought those stats were more than misleading instead of just whining about people playing "Aces Low" :rolleyes:

Everytime we have the map with TankTown, panzer kills and deaths go through the roof.  Now that maps aren't rolling until a reset occurs, we are stuck with these "odd" stats even longer.
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2004, 12:10:55 PM »
Originally I posted because I was surprised at the numbers and had  not drawn any conclusions one way or the other yet.  (Now I am actually more surprised nobody brought up spawn camping - which is where I reckon 80% of tank kills originate.)

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2004, 12:27:50 PM »
While an interesting statistic, it is not valid for the argument that is being proported by so many.  There isnt a choice of 50 types of tanks...you have ONE tank...and ONE perk tank.....now divide that number of kills by 15-20 (the number of regularly flown aircraft types, and you get a slightly more accurate view.

Now you need to factor in the rampant spawn camping.  There is no airplane equivilent to sitting in one spot for hours, piclking off anyone who happens by.

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2004, 01:32:01 PM »
Originally posted by Zanth
Originally I posted because I was surprised at the numbers and had  not drawn any conclusions one way or the other yet.  (Now I am actually more surprised nobody brought up spawn camping - which is where I reckon 80% of tank kills originate.)

Well... tank town = spawn camping.   :p
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2004, 02:49:30 PM »
Im in for the fun...used to be in planes but they seem boring for the most part due to overall dweebiness of most ma pilots..gvs are fun..i aint gonna get any better in planes unless i consistently fight a better opponent. .Il2 is my latest toy...this is all subject to change though

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2004, 10:34:39 AM »
Panzer IV is ride of choice...

Second would probably be the IL2 or JU88...

I've become interested in the Ground War since the advent of AH2. I feel that driving a Panzer or providing Close Air Support with the IL2 is more rewarding then getting my but handed to me when I fly fighters.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
Aces High Most Deadly
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2004, 01:45:09 PM »
The Ground game is more fun.

1)  It often turns into a one-on-one fight of stalking and ambushing instead of the stupid hordes inthe air.

2) The GV drivers are devising better tactics and the co-ordination is some of the most fun in the game.

I am seeing gv's as the major force to capture bases, at least in rookland.  There are GV missions with 40 signups.  It's a lot of fun.  With a little co-ordination from the flyboys its a hard combo to beat.

What I love about the GV game is what I hate about the Air game.  On the ground, its mano-a- mano in the air its almost all horde and gang warfare.  There is no affirmation of ablity, skill or courage.  When you engage and before you can maneuver for the kill you just get slaughtered by the next 5 that show up.  

The Air Sim stinks.  Until it get fixed "All your base belong to us".

signed
The Ground Hogs