Author Topic: how many players can fly in a bomber?  (Read 247 times)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
how many players can fly in a bomber?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2000, 10:33:00 PM »
Let me explain it again:
The WB system lets you do it because in WB when you man a gun, you can only fire that gun and not the others (hence otto).
AH won't let you do that, because the current gunning code lets you fire all the guns. (hence no need for otto).
The only way you could change this would be by allowing a gunner to pick which guns (note: not gun, but guns) s/he wants to run, then telling that player's FE that the other guns are "dead".
This is why the AH equivalent of WB's ".gun handle position" (e.g., ".gun dweeb tail") isn't ".join handle position", but ".join handle positions" (e.g., ".join dweeb 53" for positions 7 (32), 6 (16), 4 (4) and 2 (1))  As you can see, this system could be implemented, but it
A. Would be confusing
B. Would probably be little-used
C. Would take away resources from more useful projects (like a more interesting bombsight).

If you just added the WB system as is, nobody would take on gunners, as they'd be less effective than the pilot manning the guns himself.  Let's see, should I jump to guns myself and fire all that can bear on a target, or should I bring aboard a gunner and limit myself to just one?

Or we could bring in otto  .

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
how many players can fly in a bomber?
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »
It is possible to have more than 1 person aboard your aircraft. It's just that after the 1st guy, everyone else would just be along for the ride.

Only the 1st guy would be your gunner, you'd be the pilot only.

anyone else is just an observer.

While I personally would LOVE to be able to carry multiple gunners, it would involve some sort of "otto" for the unmmanned gun positions, and as such would be detrimental to how the game works now.

For "playability" I believe the current system is the best. Much preferred over the only other option, (otto) that would be required.

------------------
GreyBeard, Squadron Leader
Commander, "B" Flight, Aces High
Senior Staff Council
"The Skeleton Crew"
"Fly with Honor"[/i]
"Keepin' the Faith"