Author Topic: turn ack range to ground vehicles back up  (Read 291 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
turn ack range to ground vehicles back up
« on: October 16, 2000, 10:54:00 AM »
this is needed bad.

ostwinds are having a grand old time smashing 40mm acks that dont fire back.

I suggest upping the range of acks vs ground vehicles because it is now rendered insuficient with the ostwind in the arena
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2000, 10:58:00 AM »
Cita, why not take  out the VH's that the OST's are upping from?  Or, take a F4U-1C  out and kill the OST?  Seems to me for every claimed 'arena imbalance' there is a 'arena counter-inbalance'.  

(BTW, don't spend much time in osty's but I assume what your saying is, the OST ammo is reaching the 40mm before the 40mm is in range of the OST's 37mm, correct?  It may be a valid proposition...)

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 10-16-2000).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2000, 01:43:00 PM »
HT turned acks firing range down against ground vehicles when we had just the panzer and m16.

it needs to be turned back to a further range again with the new ack smashing capability of the ostwind
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2000, 01:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by Citabria:
HT turned acks firing range down against ground vehicles when we had just the panzer and m16.

it needs to be turned back to a further range again with the new ack smashing capability of the ostwind

I can hit all your acks down from 1.5 miles out with a tank...whats the point again?

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2000, 03:36:00 PM »
They sit out of ack range blowing planes up taking off without taking down the ack. They are obviously not there to take the field, just to camp. Campers aren't liked in Quake, why is it "oh but you can do this and that while he camps away"? Don't make one bit o' sense to me. You bomb 'em.. oh yeah that works. Too bad the spawn point is so close to enemy air bases by the time you land and rearm to bomb 'em again they're back to where they started. Go and bomb the VH... well while you're off bombing the VH they're still back there camping and sometimes taking down hangars. Depends on their level of dweebery.

-SW
Hate ground vehicles when they came out, still hate them.

funked

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2000, 04:13:00 PM »
If you go on the runway when your airfield is under ground attack, you deserve what you get.

Boosting the range on the AAA would make it impossible to attack a field with ground units.

AAA already has a huge advantage because it can fire THROUGH buildings, hits on the first shot, and rarely misses.

Engagement ranges in ground vehicles are already ridiculously long.  Let's not make it worse.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 10-16-2000).]

eskimo

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2000, 04:37:00 PM »
Tanking is finaly worth the effort in AH.
I solo defended a base for about 2 hours the other night against a combo attack of ground vehicles, bombers and fighters.  Most fun I have had in a long time.  I like it the way it is, as a defender and as an attacker.

eskimo

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2000, 04:41:00 PM »
Perhaps you missed what I was talking about Funked. It's not under attack, they are just sitting out of range killing aircraft as they spawn with no intention of a)killing the base b) taking the base or even c)attempting to look like they are damaging the base.

The panzer is fine. The M16 is fine. The M3 is great. The Ostweenie has got to go.
-SW

funked

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2000, 05:05:00 PM »
Roger SW.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2000, 05:20:00 PM »
ostwin should not be able to kill ack without being fired upon. 40mm ack at field should have same range as 37mm ostwind gun approx. If ostwind wants ack dead, face the 40mm or call in a apanzer. thats what they are there for

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2000, 05:29:00 PM »
Well since no one else has stepped up for the Ostwinds I will.

Been suffereing from connect woe's lately, flying has frankly been impossible. Hence I've got a lot of time in the Ostwind the last couple tours.

Now I realise that there likely are guys who "Camp" off the end of a runway in a osty with no intent on closeing the field. However, for every one of them there are 3 or 4 of us who are provideing air defense to panzers or killing acks & takeing down hangers.

Long as we are all talking about pet peeves here's mine. Why can a 40 mm ack kill a tank with only 2 or 3 hits. A F4u-c or tiffy kill a tank with 4 or 5 hits yet an osty can hammer on a tank and get 60 to 100 hits before it finally dies???

It's getting cold up here in North Dakota so go right ahead & flame away.  

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2000, 05:38:00 PM »

Originally posted by funked:
Boosting the range on the AAA would make it impossible to attack a field with ground units.

I disagree.  We are after a more realistic doctrine here are we not?  Get one of your fighter buddies to jabo or bomb the 40mm ack.  

Then you can Ostvulch to your hearts content.

-Ding

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2000, 05:41:00 PM »
ostwind should only be able to de tread tanks and mabye kill them from rear. 40m,m could not penetrate front of PzIV

Use ostwinds for what they WERE! AAA! Not for field destruction, use Panzer for that.

funked

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2000, 05:42:00 PM »
What Zig says makes sense.  The AAA at a field should be a target for Panzers, not fighter-bombers or tracked AAA (Ostwind).

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2000, 07:17:00 PM »

Originally posted by Zigrat:
ostwind should only be able to de tread tanks and mabye kill them from rear. 40m,m could not penetrate front of PzIV

Use ostwinds for what they WERE! AAA! Not for field destruction, use Panzer for that.

If you'll look up historical accounts of self-propelled AA, the term AAA is very misleading.

M-15a1's, Ostwinds, Whirlwinds, M-16's , GAA's, M-19's...all used as infantry support. Even more so then the AAA role (especially the M-15a1). The ROF of the AAA guns was much better at pinning down troops then the heavy caliber guns on tanks (and sometimes MG's were to light)

But they effect vs structures is lame. Suppresion fire is one thing, but 1000 37mm rounds going off without any cooling time would turn that Ostwind barrel into goo.

Btw the only perk AAA tank should be the US M-19  

- Jig