Author Topic: Yankee Air Museum In Belleville, Michigan  (Read 767 times)

Offline DreadedLlama

• Zinc Member
Yankee Air Museum In Belleville, Michigan
« on: October 09, 2004, 08:06:02 PM »
The Yankee Air Museum in Belleville Michigan was destroyed by fire today. The Museum was home to the "Yankee Lady" a B-17G, "Yankee Doodle Dandy" a C-47, and the "Yankee Warrior" a recently re-restored B-25.

According to local media reports, a small building was being demolished in a controlled burn. The fire got out of hand and spread to the YAM's main hanger. I haven't heard of any injuries or deaths. I have no idea if the 17 or the 25 was in the hanger at the time. The C-47 was visable on the tarmac.

The main hanger, which housed the museum and the aircraft, is a total loss. It was a wooden building built in the 40's along with the Willow run bomber plant.

I've got a screen cap from the video I took at http://thellama.org .The plane in the foreground is the YAM's B-52. it's just a single picture.

I'm dumbfounded and heartbroken.
~DLlama

thellama.org

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 09:30:44 PM »
If they had those planes in a hangar anywhere near where they were doing a "controlled burn" they have to be idiots.  It will be very sad if those 2 birds were destroyed by that stupidity.  Lets hope they were safe and sound.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 11:01:29 PM »
I hope the losses will be minimal.

According to thier scedule,  the B17 was to be in Romeo MI today.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 11:20:06 PM »
Yankee Lady the B17, the B25 and the C47 all were saved.  Apparently they lost all of their artifacts, their library and a number of other aircraft.

A real tragedy

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 11:26:56 PM »
:(
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DreadedLlama

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 11:48:22 PM »
The controlled burn story may not be correct. There is a small structure that's 50-ish yards from the hanger that was slated for demolition, and I had heard story from different sources that a controlled burn had gotten out of control, but that apparently wasn't the cause. For now it's "under investigation." The building itself wasn't exactly fireproof. The main bulding was all wood (it was built at a time when metal was in short supply) and met 1940's standards. The plan was to have a new structure in place soon, since upgrading the old building would've been prohibitivly expensive.

Yankee air lost several planes to the fire. An F-105 that was undergoing restoration to become a static display, A Lockheed Loadstar, their OV-10 Bronco, and their glider were unable to be saved. The B-17, B-25, and C-47 are all ok, and more importantly, there have been no injuries reported. Apparently the C-47 had to be pushed out by a handful of crazy/brave folks. It will need new engine cowlings, since both of those are still inside what's left of the hanger.

Not a good day, but it could have been far worse.

Offline lakc

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.concentric.net/~lakec
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 11:59:10 AM »
Heard that on the radio this morning on my way to Rouge park to fly r/c aircraft. I am dumbfounded. If you ever looked up at the massive wood support structure of the hanger roof,  it was an engineering marvel in itself. Glad no one got hurt. Eagerly awaiting the investigation results. You wouldnt have a place to upload the rest of that video, would you?

:(
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 12:03:10 PM by lakc »

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 01:00:58 PM »
absolute idiots.

unbelieveable anyone would do a controlled burn of a building at an aviation museum, how ****ing stupid can you be.  looks like whoever at the museum agreed to this is gonna get their arse kicked.

just found this, doesnt say anything about a controlled fire?

http://www.mlive.com/news/aanews/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1097403595299010.xml
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 01:03:10 PM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Starbird

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 02:33:32 PM »
Could see the plume of smoke from the house here.

Offline DreadedLlama

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 03:14:30 PM »

unbelieveable anyone would do a controlled burn of a building at an aviation museum, how ****ing stupid can you be.  looks like whoever at the museum agreed to this is gonna get their arse kicked.

If it's the building I'm thinking of, The Museum would have had no say in the matter. The buildings at the site are owned by Wayne county, and were their responsability. Yankee Air was being charged rent on the building that burned by Wayne County, so I'd assume that they didn't have ownership.

According to the folks I know that called 911, dispatch told them that there was a controlled burn going on at the site and that the smoke was nothing to worry about. Take that for what it's worth.

I drove past the site today. It's still smoldering. The smoke was reportedly visable at the Michigan - Ohio Border.

The B-25 just flew over my apartment, that was a very welcome sound.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 07:22:44 PM »
Aww chit.  I loved that place.  

What a disaster.  That OV-10 was the only clipped wing version around.  

At least they got the three big ones out.

Offline matthews

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 07:33:30 PM »
If anyone is interested, the Y.A.F put out a press release today on their website  and about plans for rebuilding.  also, does anyone know where the 3 aircraft were flown to today because when I drove out to the site today, the B-25, B-17 and C-47 were not around the site.

Offline lakc

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.concentric.net/~lakec
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 08:27:49 PM »
Someone said earlier the b17 was due at an airshow, assuming they didnt loose any equipment off of her in the fire. Sounds like the b25 was out flying today, the c-47, sans cowlings, was likely not flying, and probably went over to the west ramp, maybe Kalitta put it up for awhile. I have a friend with a aerocommander berthed on the west ramp, im trying to talk him into some aerial pics.

Offline DOWJackL

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 09:24:41 PM »
I was dumbfounded when I saw the picture of the burning hanger on the front of the Ann Arbor News.  I was driving into town last night and saw the smoke off to the east.  What a loss.  DOWjambu's uncle built model planes from scratch (just pictures) and had one on display in the gift shop there.  DOWjambu and I went to the YAF Thunder Over Michigan air show this summer.  How cool to see the planes we fly in AH for real, and flying!  B-17, F6-F, F4U, 15 TBMs,  and a couple P-51's including one that did some amazing power dives.  We had talked about joining the YAF and getting involved in some of their activities.  I guess they'll need volunteers even more now.

Offline DYGCaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 02:09:02 PM »
Hi all, yeah that really sucks...I've been going to YAM since I was 10, it's good that they saved the 17, 47 and 25 though.  The OV-10 Bronco was actually a few days away from being fully restored, I remember when they first got that plane in and it was a mess.  The planes are bad enough, but all the little things they had in there like bomber jackets, oxygen masks, flags, peices of airplanes, engines, the list goes on, but those are all lost and most of them probably cannot be replaced.  The good news is I've heard that even before this happened they were in the process of raising money to build an all new hanger, so at least the musuem will be rebuilt.