Author Topic: want to know whats wrong with this weeks setup?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline bcee

• Copper Member
want to know whats wrong with this weeks setup?
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2004, 01:01:18 PM »
ahhhhh! i see said the blind man....Karnak`s right, just circle the wagons with PT`s...
Still kinda like the idea of driving down the deck....:eek:

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2004, 06:55:47 PM »
Its true that the SBD-5 and TBM are later varients of the Dauntless and Avenger, but they are attack planes after all. Neither is significantly better in performance as to make them unusable in a 1942 PTO setup. You do need something for the USN to attack with and something for the IJN to shoot?

The Ju87D-3 and Ju88A-4 are both later varients than the 1939-40 types too, but you cant do BoF or BoB without them either. Compromises have to be made. AH simply does not have all the sub varients for WW2.

As for the SBD-5 as an example, its max speed was 255 mph, and its bombload the same as a SBD-3, so Im not sure what the big issue could be with it for an A6M2. Same can be said for a Hurricane I attacking a Ju 87D-3 Stuka.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 07:00:43 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

storch

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2004, 07:05:03 PM »
Originally posted by Squire
Its true that the SBD-5 and TBM are later varients of the Dauntless and Avenger, but they are attack planes after all. Neither is significantly better in performance as to make them unusable in a 1942 PTO setup. You do need something for the USN to attack with and something for the IJN to shoot?

The Ju87D-3 and Ju88A-4 are both later varients than the 1939-40 types too, but you cant do BoF or BoB without them either. Compromises have to be made. AH simply does not have all the sub varients for WW2.

As for the SBD-5 as an example, its max speed was 255 mph, and its bombload the same as a SBD-3, so Im not sure what the big issue could be with it for an A6M2. Same can be said for a Hurricane I attacking a Ju 87D-3 Stuka.

Don't be a nitwit Warloc can't you see that we just like to complain?  While I'm on it I want the Ju 87 with the 37mm pods

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2004, 07:10:22 PM »
Well, I would certainly welcome more attack planes, and the IJ need more of everything, I wont argue that. We need a B6N Jill for the IJN and sub varients would not be hard to do for the other types mentioned above.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »
i think disable-ing the manned CV ack gives the torpedo bombers such as the BN5 and TBM a chance to sink some thing
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2004, 08:18:06 PM »
Squire,

The SBD-5 is a bit faster than the SBD-3 and, IIC, has two 30 cals in the tail instead of the SBD-3's one.

Not too big a difference, but better performance does matter.

The Opposing D3A1 was upgraded to the D3A2 in 1942 and gained 40mph from the change.  We have the 1937 D3A1.

As to the TBM and 1942.  I wasn't saying the 1942 TBF Avenger was needed to balance the 1938 B5N2.  I was saying the TBD Devastator is needed to balance the B5N2.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline taxi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2004, 08:32:42 PM »
So,  the tiger 'story' is out.

And nobody has the gumption to mention names, aside from nearsightedly assuming that it was done on purpose ... all I can say is what a lack of ballz.  I am truly amazed.

Asking and/or mentioning it and/or pointing it out directly where it belongs, channel 1 or 200 (!), would have been the straightforward way of doing the favor of showing the way.  I guess it is too much to expect that here.

If it had happened more than once, any of the above accusations would be valid.  But I am sure the accusers don't have the least idea how often I took out a tiger, nor did they check.  Running to the BBS ... man ... is that 'macho' ?  

Any problem that cannot be solved 'head to head' should lead to forum discussion, but this is blown way out of proprtion.  
Get a hold of yourselves and solve your problems where they belong.

I am here.

taxi

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2004, 09:07:53 PM »
"...and the A6M2 which will never go faster than 290 when it should go 332."

Try climbing it off the deck.   P-40 doesn't reach its top speed at sea level either. If I recall from last time I used the A6M2, it reaches its top speed of ~330 MPH at about 15K.  At the usual altutudes people fly at in the CT, I wouldn't expect it to break 300 in level flight.

J_A_B

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2004, 10:03:43 PM »
Originally posted by simshell
i think disable-ing the manned CV ack gives the torpedo bombers such as the BN5 and TBM a chance to sink some thing

Agreed.......plus the addage of not being able to use what you pay for, this in a way is no different than the eny limiter in the MA, except turning off the Fleet Guns is either always off, or always on.......or viewed as depends on what the CT Staffer on call wants......so if some one on the CT Staff has squad members up flying and they want to use the guns, hey they got a squad member as a CT staffer , they can get to turn them on and vice versa.....

I oppose the selecticism here........
( I am not saying this actually happens or has happened before, but merely pointing out the fact that
it could possibly happen)

sure wish more flew in the CT though.....everytime it seems I get time to fly I only see 1 to 3 people in the Arena :-(
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 01:13:24 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2004, 06:57:58 AM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
Agreed.......plus the addage of not being able to use what you pay for, this in a way is no different than the eny limiter in the MA,  

Giving the torpedo bombers a chance to sink something is probably a good thing; it encourages use of a wider variety of planes.

As to not getting what you pay for:  That's inherent in the CT.  You can't fly a P-51 in the 1942 setups, or drive a Tiger tank (well...usually...).  Limitation on choice is one of the significant differences between the CT and the MA.

- oldman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2004, 10:05:13 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731

As to not getting what you pay for:  That's inherent in the CT.  You can't fly a P-51 in the 1942 setups, or drive a Tiger tank (well...usually...).  Limitation on choice is one of the significant differences between the CT and the MA.

I do understand the limitations and the scenario of what is in mind as far as the CT goes. I do believe though that if a Task Grp is included in the mix or a pacific theme, then we should have the ability to use what the Task Grp has as weapons......

this is what I was refering to as part of the selecticism in my earlier post.........

it is not based on an actual real life time event, or battle yet based on a few select request.........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2004, 10:13:05 AM »
30 minute "quick-n-dirty" b5n conversion to a tbd borrowing from the sbd skin:

Ummmm .... a bit of a problem for now:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2004, 10:47:36 AM »
Still not done but I'm stopping here. You get the idea.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2004, 11:06:17 AM »
Devastating!!! :D

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2004, 11:27:56 AM »
Thanks Arlo.  That would help until we get an actuall TBD in AH.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-