Author Topic: Pyro's Tips on the P-38....  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Pyro's Tips on the P-38....
« on: March 10, 2000, 11:32:00 AM »

heee hee heee. Sorry Pyro.

Harkens back to a day when Rabid and Wardog was just a little puppies in the bright and expanding flight sim universe  
 http://pages.prodigy.com/domain/airwar1.htm

-Westy

(buying travel tkt to get out of the country asap)

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2000, 12:48:00 PM »
Here a short cut.
 http://www.jyu.fi/~mg/lessons/p38.html

Now this is not for Aces High lets let the great Pyro tell if its still good or not.  

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Crew
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2000, 02:28:00 PM »
I never got very far with the 38 in AW, but I could fly it reasonably well unless I ran into a 38 ace or a good 109/F6 driver who would just spiral climb it to death. I did get some help from moss,crzy and coule other nomads at AW99 and really got much better in 26..actually got some clips of multi kill missions against fighters (including 38's) in 1 on 1 fights. In 38 i got close to being good...key being exactly what pyro discusses ..use of 38's slow speed handling.

In AH the premium seems to be more on E retension since all planes bleed E at a higher rate than in AW (IMO). The 38 seems particualarly effected by E loss in comparision to AW model. I believe a spit can easily out perform a co-e 38 under any circumstances even a pos-e 38 easily if it stays to fight. I'm gonna mess with flaps and such in TA and see what I can recall from my AW days.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

funked

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2000, 02:52:00 PM »
What's AW?

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2000, 08:48:00 AM »
I have many times the P-38 could reported "Almost" turn with a Zero.  At low to mid altitudes the Zero had more edge.  At high altitudes the P-38 ruled it.

Someone needs to fess up here.  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew
Trainer

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2000, 01:17:00 PM »
AHAH!  

Pyro: IMO, the P38 has the best flaps of all the fighters because it seems to me that they provide the best lift to drag ratio
Pyro: there are accounts that held that the P38 could turn even with the zeke with correct employment of the flaps

Bullgator: the 38 turning with the zeke thing
Bullgator: was that an AW account or historical
Pyro: historical

Then it should turn with a Spit V or at least with a Spit IX right?

Pyro: accounts I have read have stated the dive acceleration of the 38 to be enormoalmost dangerous
Pyro: shaky

I think enormoalmost dangerous shaky is what happens if you are naughty to one of HiTech's sheep.  

Pyro: is that it seems to have a certain speed at which it can outturn just about anything in the game
Pyro: I'm not sure of the speed, Rabid and I concur that it is around 175 at low alt

I really can't find a noticable "Best Turning Speed" for the AH P-38 and I don't see it having this magical groove speed.  I miss it.  Was this historical or fantasy?  

Once the flaps get modeleled correctly I am hoping to see some positive changes in the P-38's turn rate, especially at low speed.  I am also excited about "compressability" being modeled and using the "dive flaps".

BTW this was a very nice piece on the AW P-38.  I re-read it many times and used it as gospel for flying the P-38 in that game.  

Thanks Pyro!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew
Trainer

[This message has been edited by Minotaur (edited 03-12-2000).]

funked

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2000, 03:09:00 PM »
I have a feeling Pyro has learned more about modeling airplanes since he wrote that stuff.  

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2000, 07:50:00 AM »
I have a feeling he has too  

-Westy

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2000, 11:42:00 PM »
Hehe Westy, that cracks me up.  I'm a kinder, gentler Pyro now.  Actually it was really good advice at the time.  I used to get accused of cheating in that plane because I could hold the "magic turn".  I'm sure it was just a typo in one of the tables that caused it.  I also had totally forgot about "loop fighting", it's been a long time since I've done that.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

No sniveling!

-towd_

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2000, 08:15:00 AM »
well your right that a 38l could outturn now almost turn with a zeke (in the right situation for the 38 yea that is true) cant wait for the flaps/dive breaks

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2000, 09:03:00 AM »
   I just though this would bring Pyro and others a good chuckle.
 It must seem like another lifetime now.

-Westy