Author Topic: F4U-1D or C Simple Tactics  (Read 1353 times)

Offline 28sweep

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
F4U-1D or C Simple Tactics
« on: December 03, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
Normally I fly the La7 but off of carriers I lke to fly this plane.  Any simple things to keep in mind when flying this plane.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
F4U-1D or C Simple Tactics
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2001, 12:48:00 PM »
The -1D tends to be my favorite.

The biggest problem I have with flying the F4U is deciding what I want to do once I'm airborne. By this I mean if I am carrying ordinace do I want to commit to my Jabo attack or will I get distracted by a low con an get suckered into a low alt fight with ordinace because I think I can do both.

So rule #1

Decide if you are a fighter or a bomber.

Rule # 2

Pick your fights. I feel co-alt co-E that I can win almost every 1 on 1 engagement with most A/C. However Spits, Zekes and NIK2's can ruin your day even if the pilot is not that good. So fight them on your terms. Not low and slow where any stick puller can win. In other words. Run and come back with Alt. and save your dogfighting for FW190, P-51 and others. No need to pad someone elses score.

Rule #3

Learn to use rolling maneuvers. The F4U was probably the best rolling fighter or the war through the entire speed range ie. 100MPH to 450MPH. Not the best everywhere (FW190 was the fastest) but it doesn't loose much slow or fast. So using rolling moves like scissors or split-s, barrel roll and others with really help you thrive and survive.

Rule #4

I suck.

So get a real trainer and learn to fight a real plane like the F4U, F6F or P-47. Lephturn comes to mind.

Rule #5

Join a squad that fly's similar A/C to what you like. Flying with Wingmen especially on R/W will make you feel invincable. It is a much more survivable game with someone watching your back.

I won't bore you with any more standard answers like "stay fast" or "always have altitude" because it's just to obvious and eventually your going to get caught otherwise so you might as well learn how to fight that way. However I will say this about the F4U in AH. Other that the ability to "Hang on your prop" like a NIK2, Spit, Zeke or even a P-38 you have the ability to do anything any other fighter can do in AH and do it better many times. In fact many consider the La-7 to be Uber in AH and I find it to be a very fast tow target. So take your time and pick your targets and oh yeah "check 6", hehe.

Good Luck<S>