Author Topic: Aiming Rockets  (Read 2332 times)

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
Aiming Rockets
« on: September 24, 2001, 09:56:00 PM »
I am having fits trying to figure out how to aim rockets...

I want to use them to take out the ack at fields...  I have tried numerous Gunsights and still can't get a handle on what to use as an aiming point..  They all seem to drop low yet hit high over the target ???

Usually I am diving at a 45 degree angle...
But for me to hit an ack I have to be so low that I get chopped up after usually getting only one gun emplacement...

Any Suggestions ???

BOOT

Offline majic

• Silver Member
Aiming Rockets
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2001, 10:39:00 PM »
Guns are much easier to use when taking out acks.  Try rockets on larger targets like vh.  There is no fixed aiming point unless you are firing at the exact same distance each time.  However you could try either to get closer or be in a steeper dive.  Try it offline and good luck.

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Aiming Rockets
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2001, 02:19:00 AM »
Rockets for acks = waste of payload.

For acks take 0.5 cal or hispano armed planes,tracers on and u can deacked from about 600-700 yrds.

Rockets are fine for tgts like soft vh/fh or fuel and ammo (each 2 direct hits to cripple).

To aim (at fuel/ammo) i do the following i fly close to the ground, and line the tgt up at as if i want to strafe it. I put the center of the gunsight just above the top of the tgt and fire from short distance (under 250 yrds), usually i hit 2 outta 3 on those relative small tgts.

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
Aiming Rockets
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2001, 07:36:00 AM »
Something I've been wanting to test out, but havent had the chance, is hitting an airborn bomber with rockets. Is it possible?
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
Aiming Rockets
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2001, 08:21:00 AM »
Possible but very difficult. Basically you either have to be lucky or at point blank range

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Aiming Rockets
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »
Midnight has a very nice sight for aiming rockets (thanks Midnight :))

http://webpages.charter.net/davidlj/

There are instructions for the sight there also.

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
Aiming Rockets
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2001, 07:44:00 PM »
Thanks Skernsk...

This looks like what I need...
Downloaded and trying Midnites site tonite...

BOOT

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
Aiming Rockets
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2001, 10:32:00 PM »
Wgr 21 rocket vs buffs, well mnaget fiew time direct hit on bufs, the main problem isnt the direction aiming or elevation  but the timing and the distance of fire !!

when u fly 250 tas  buff 220 tas disance is 1.1

faster you go or buf above 15 k where flying 320 tas that become more hard  is it around 1.7 but it can variate to much

to kill a buff u not need direct hit on them 1 wgr 21 rocket pufing below b 17  and no more buff , the curiosity when rocket explode above buff they  not geting hit even if the puff is realy close