Author Topic: Is this a good or bad idea of mine?  (Read 1387 times)

Hans

Is this a good or bad idea of mine?
« on: April 01, 2000, 05:52:00 AM »
I was thinking (yes, I really was...no joke) about asking for a reward system in the game.

Since everybody wants some of the more HotRods out there, does anybody think like me that we could ask for them to be the reward?

Oh, say if you get such-and-such score or record, you then get a single sortie in a speacial "red, velvet roped off" airplane.  Those super planes that people want, but nobody can really justify as being an everyday/common ride.

Me262, TA-152, Me163, P-80, Donier Phiel, Kikka, P-47M, B-29, Heinkel Salamander, 177 Grief, Ar 234, M-36 Pershing tank, ect.

Well, it is an idea anyways.

Hans.

------------------
If you did it and lived, you probably did it right.

[This message has been edited by Hans (edited 04-01-2000).]

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2000, 06:14:00 AM »
There's more to it than that, but that's a taste of I've been alluding to.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Perfect plans, aren't.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2000, 11:13:00 AM »
In general the idea of awarding the most successful pilots with better rides I dont like(although it is probably historical from a tuned AC and best armourer point of view)
But Allowing 1 mission in such a plane is a nice addition.
I still think that such planes should be introduced as the situation gets more desperate for a country..A self balancing arena...

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2000, 12:06:00 PM »
I floated this idea a while back, mostly people didn't like it.  If the 262 is modeled, they want the right to fly it.  My idea was that you had to earn the 262 with a long kill streak, you would lose 262 priviledges when your kill streak ended.

--ra--

CANNON

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2000, 02:23:00 PM »
 The number 2 reason i left that other sim was the RPS. Its my nickel. I want to pik the plane.

Hans

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2000, 05:49:00 PM »
Well, now this sounds promising.

Myself I would prefer only having a single sortie in a "special weapon" ride.  Using it over and over and over till you loose the ride in combat wouldn't be too fair.  A single joyride is enough of a bonus to strive for.

I suppose other things like conrol over the (future) aircraft carriers and such would be on that bonus ride list.

Ra, I'm with you.  I think speacial/rare super planes are better as rewards than as the end of an RPS.  They're rare. Keep them that way, but not exclude them entirely.  Or, at least that is how I would do it if I were designing a game.

Hans.

------------------
If you did it and lived, you probably did it right.

[This message has been edited by Hans (edited 04-01-2000).]

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2000, 10:17:00 PM »

Originally posted by ra:
My idea was that you had to earn the 262 with a long kill streak, you would lose 262 priviledges when your kill streak ended.

The problem with this sort of system is that it rewards individuals who fly certain ways.  Anything that rewards extended kill streaks promotes "safe" flying; that is, the tendency to only engage with advantages such as higher alt or larger numbers.  A second consequence is that it rewards vulchers relatively more than others.  Just when Player X vulched 12 people in a row with 4x20mm cannons, he gets to try it again with 4x30mm cannons.  A third consequence is that it further disadvantages those countries with fewer numbers.  After all, they're the ones who tend to get ganged and vulched more; such is the life (and death) of someone flying defensively.  Throw "earned" uberplanes into this mix and the play balance further erodes.

I'm not complaining about those who DO fly safely or who vulch mercilessly.  That's their choice and more power to 'em.  However, the reward system you're suggesting unfairly punishes those who prefer to mix it up regardless of odds.  If the planes are there, let everyone fly them regardless of how they spend their $30/month.

That's what I think anyway.  

-- Todd/DMF

funked

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2000, 11:45:00 PM »
Todd, obviously the numerical measurement needs to be carefully chosen.  

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2000, 11:49:00 PM »

Originally posted by funked:
Todd, obviously the numerical measurement needs to be carefully chosen.  

That's my point, though -- you simply can't measure "success" through any mechanism that isn't biased against some flying style or another.  I've always figured reputation or the "fear factor" is the real measurement of pilot skill, for instance.  How much do people fear the thought of fighting you?  Pretty tough to accurately gauge that though.  

-- Todd/DMF

[This message has been edited by Dead Man Flying (edited 04-02-2000).]

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2000, 11:55:00 PM »
How about this:  One sortie in the 262 every 6 hours or something.  This way everyone can use them, but since you only get 1 sortie in it every 6 hours, you better be careful.  I'm also thinking that since you only get one per person every so many hours, not that many will be flying at any given time.  (Kind of realistic really.)  Of course, the plane should be available 100% of the time in the training arena and the SEA.

I think the same system could be used for TA-152s and any other "uber-plane" that all of us want to try, but are afraid that they will unbalance the arena.

Just my $.02

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2000, 12:49:00 AM »
I would suggect not limiting current aircraft... only soon to come game dominating super uber rides

"the aircraft you selected is in maintenance please choose an alternate.
This aircraft will be airworthy at 20:30 zulu"

! or fly at your own risk and face possible (almost certain) malfunction or equipment failure!! heheheh  

------------------
CitabriAirbatiC

"There Is No Spoon"

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 04-02-2000).]
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2000, 11:53:00 AM »
Rewarding the good pilots is like giving Bill Gates stock options... the good don't need better planes... give the better planes to the worst pilots..... as there score goes up they lose same plane... Personally I like the WWII blimps.....

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2000, 01:20:00 PM »
I think I posted something similiar earlier, I believe some type of campaign (RPS) with rewards for performance would closely simulate real life, This system would penalize folks like me greatly, but still would provide a realistic way to simulate the gradual availability of better equipment.

A historical point of view follows...
Every one knows about Von Richthofen, how bout Lanoe Hawker?...Any takers...he was 5 times the pilot Richthofen ever was, and died at his hands. He was flying a DH2 a plane totally inferior to the Albatros D1 available to Richthofen. RAF loses during that bloody few months were on the order of 70%.

Now I fly simply for the fun and challenge and "score" is irrelevent to me. However, give me a different challenge and my thinking may change. I'm not sure if the MA is the place for this but I agree we need to find a place in AH for this aspect of the war to be modeled.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Elp

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2000, 02:22:00 PM »
Better score or less deaths must be translate in better resistance to G force. In the end of a tour of duty, the better pilot could tolerate 9G's and the average 5G's. Well, the more experience the pilot gets, if anyone kills him, better would be his G tolerance.

Sorry my english but I belive you got the idea.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2000, 08:10:00 AM »
Saw<-------Pushes the stick forward, so that the Donkey has to run farther to try to get the carot...

(Looking at my Killstreak I'll prolly only get to ride a charriot pulled by a Donkey)

HIIIIIIIIIIHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAHHHHHHHH

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
=XO=III/JG2~Richthofen~
GMT T.O.D. SITE

JG2 "Richthofen"
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 04-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 04-04-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.