Author Topic: Basic observations for newer pilots  (Read 837 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Basic observations for newer pilots
« on: March 19, 2000, 12:24:00 PM »
Over the last month I've had a chance to work with a number of newer members and would like to pass along a couple of general observations/pointers.

1) Gunnery

Many new fliers really don't understand the concept of "leading" a bogie. To kill someone in AH you need to shoot in front of them. I'm constantly suprised that 100% of people I've worked with to date cant hit me on bounce with broadcast right hand break turn (flat) at 1.4 or so.

2) Merge Tactics

A basic understanding of merge tactics is really essential to enjoying AH. Although less important here than in AW (my old home) it will greatly enhance your options in the main arena. I preach the basic rocketman merge. Gentle dive on close (ideally 1000 under con at 2000) with some horizontal seperation. turn gently to Bogie at 2000 climb at 1500 with lift vector pointed at back far side of con.

I've found the FM favors either aggresive angles merges or true E fighting but penalizes the "tweeners" heavily.

3) Know your ride

Most of the folks I see really don't understand the relative strengths and weaknesses of there plane of choice. Pick a plane, stick with it and learn it before you try another

[This message has been edited by humble (edited 03-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by humble (edited 03-19-2000).]

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson