Author Topic: Diving underground  (Read 1009 times)

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Diving underground
« on: December 07, 2001, 03:14:00 PM »
I have been flying 190's mostly and found that climb/dive manoeuvre quite effective. Yet it often happens when attacking a field or low flying opponents, that my speed increases past the level the plane cannot be straightened. Aren't there any brakes???

Nearby opponents score kills without even knowing they were attacked   :mad:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Diving underground
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2001, 03:20:00 PM »
The only fighters with dive brakes in AH are the P-47D-25, P-47D-30, and P-38L.

At high speeds it was normal for controls to stiffen.  This is because of the pressure of the airflow over control surfaces.  At very high speeds there is also a shock wave phenomenon called "compressibility" which causes reduced control response.  

If you have this problem in a dive you should cut your throttle and use pitch trim (k key) to give yourself a good chance to pull out.

You can avoid this problem altogether by reducing your power before diving.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Diving underground
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »
only the ju88 has dive brakes. The rest have little lights that indicate the order to deploy dive flaps has been given... and dont happen  ;) *G*

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Diving underground
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2001, 03:45:00 PM »
Thanks, guys! The "Dive Brake" button has embarraced me quite some   . Now I know it is useless to map it on the stick.  :D
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Diving underground
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2001, 03:58:00 PM »
I think the P-47D-25 was pre dive flaps and they are not on the one we have in AH. Only on the D-30. But it's been a while since I flew the Brazilian beauty.

Got to watch the 190-A8. It'll pick up one hell of a head of steam when it's pointed down. Cut throttle some and bleed your energy if you must with your rudder by fish tailing the plane.

Westy