Author Topic: Schwalbe versus Schwalbe  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Schwalbe versus Schwalbe
« on: October 05, 2001, 03:36:00 AM »
Me-262 vs Me-262... interesting match up.

How should a 262 fight against a same 262?  

Would you have to fly it the same way as dogfighting a propeller plane?? To be honest, I know nothing of jet planes, and I'm quite stumped how one should fly a Me-262. They all say "fast yes, turn no".. but seems kind of vague to me. Should I consider a 262 as just an extremely fast 109G10? Would that help?  :)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Schwalbe versus Schwalbe
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2001, 05:35:00 AM »
the 262 isnt as unmanuverable as you think. Its just so much faster that a slower plane can easily cause you to overshot and if you try to follow you will lose some speed.

Now a good pilot will set you up by causing the overshot to get a quick snapshot. You wanna keep your speed and extend and seperate decreasing your chance of getting hit in that snapshot.

However h2h with another 262 you dont want to bleed your e at all and cause the other guy to do so.

I've heard others talk about "formulas" they use and quote the "right" way to fly this and that but go with what works for you. I'm never able to put into practice most of what I've read but it does offer a source and insight as to basics.

with the 262 at 200 perks (which I like) the odds of another 262 wanting to get into a prolonged dogfight with you will be pretty slim. And if you allow yourself to get caught up well then thats your fault  :).

So bnz hold your speed always plan how you will extend and mind your SA. Dont force shots take what they give ya and if you need to repeat as necessary.

imho the 262 once perk values are restored will be as rare as a ta152 which is the way it should be (however 152s were more rare then 262s. Its real value will be in scenarios.

Kweassa (korean?) what time zone are you in. If you want maybe come fly with JV44 for fun onenight  :) most of us are edt though and I'm currently waiting on my x36 to be replaced.........been grounded about 2 weeks  :(

--------------------

Hptm. Wotan Wubke
Rot 3 fw-190d9 Dora

Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn
(By order of the State Railway)

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Schwalbe versus Schwalbe
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2001, 06:06:00 AM »
Kweassa,
I managed a good sortie last night against two other 262s. Basically I flew the plane like a very fast P-47  :). I kept my e up all the time and made easy loops and zooms while trying to get into position.

The cannons are awsome and provided total destruction of the targets with very short bursts and only a couple of visual pings. I did make a couple of passes on some slower prop planes but the window of opportunity is so short due to the high rate of closure I was ineffective.

The ac flies really nice. Like most jets, you have to be ahead of the power curve when manuvering at slow speed, such as approaches. You don't get the instant power available in a jet you do in a prop plane so plan ahead. Slowing down is a bit of a chore too. Fortunately you can start using flaps as high as 300 mph indicated. Or near that speed, don't remember exactly.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
Schwalbe versus Schwalbe
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2001, 06:37:00 AM »
Hey Kweassa

I got in a turnfight with minus in 262, well what the heck perks at there so you can have fun aint they, anyway we went vertical chasing each others tails.  When we finally hit the deck it was standard on the stall horn flat turn fight.  Anyhow I was wondering how the heck he was getting angle on me, thought maybe I drop a notch or 2 of flap but decided against it.  He kills me then announces he had 2 notches of flap himself the blastard.

So if you get in a slow turnfight 262 v 262 god help you and drop 2 notches of flap.

:D

Offline Purzel

• Copper Member
Schwalbe versus Schwalbe
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2001, 04:06:00 AM »
Hey Mark!

One thing that could cause your "ineffectveness" when booming might not only be the great rate of closure, but that you are used to 8 .50s insetad of 4 fast dropping 30mm.
It is very hard to hit with them, this is made even harder by the closurerate.

Maybe one reason is that it was constucted as a buff-killer (when AA at all) where the target doesnt turn too much.