Author Topic: The co E merge  (Read 7837 times)

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
The co E merge
« on: July 05, 2000, 05:30:00 AM »
Hyas .. as for the other post regarding scissors .. 99% of all ladder duells i have fought so far opened up with a CO-E merge followed by a low G immelman merge move.

How to beat the Low G immel ??

What i did:
a) tried a climbing turn -> and got busted being a LOT lower on E and alt than my opponent who is on top of the Loop and hs the option to counter any of my turn with just rolling in the vertical.

b) Low G immel myselfe. Usually i tried to lead the pull up so i was having my nose on the opponent when he comes over the top of his loop .. this ends up usually with a HO merge and then a stall speed scissor (which i tend to loose -> see other thread)

c)High G immel. Pull around at higher G than your opponent, (try to) accelerate and pull into your oppoent again who is now hanging low speed low E but with a bit of alt above ya. Dunno LOL the pull up thing never quite worked as propsed   what happened a lot was that my oppoenent did that move on me while i did a low G immel and i ended up dropping on his 6 (for a few seconds) just to end up lower and slower in a stall speed scissors / spiral climb fight (which i tend to loose again  )

Please post your ways to do the CO-E (duell) Merge (i'm not trying to gather info here on ladder opponents folks   just seeking the ultimate merge wisdom .. i'm easy meat for most of ya anyways  )

Thnaks !!
DW6

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
The co E merge
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2000, 11:02:00 AM »

Originally posted by Duckwing6:
How to beat the Low G immel ??

Hmm....theres alot of variables here that come into play such as the types of planes each pilot is flying.  I assume you are referring to a duel type of scenario where each player is flying the same sort of plane.

In this instance, the vague answer is the best pilot wins.  The only way to beat a low G immelman (which is the best E conserving reversal available), the only defense is to reverse with your own E conserving Immelman.  At this point, the victor goes to the pilot who is able to ride the edge of the flight envelope without stalling and get guns on target.

It also helps if you know a bit about your opponents flight style...is he an aggressive pilot and willing to go for the HO or is he more conservative and willing to expend a bit more E to avoid them.

I'd be interested in seeing what others have to say since I dont have any real answer myself  

-Ding

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
The co E merge
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2000, 01:30:00 PM »
Any of the above merge types can win in the right situation. Trick is to know when to use what, and that takes experience.

Learn at least 3 or 4 merges and be prepared going in to use any of them!

Then sneak a peek over your shoulder to see what the other guy is doing. Done right you should have time to counter almost anything.

If he pulls tight, you go low G & get alt.

If he pulls lo gee match him or throw in a twist. Remember one thing, each time you unload gee's  for a shot, your giveing him a chance to pull harder & gain angles.  Hence the shot better be worth it.

If your going for angles remember to pull hardest when your planes nose down. Gravity will help you through the turn & you'll lose less speed & E. That coupled with a roll into the right plane should put you in a good position.

Last, it never hurts to be able to shoot as well inverted as right side up. Too many guys roll back vert to shoot, then roll inverted again to follow the loop.

Best to stay inverted, shoot, then pull hard onto his 6. Halfway around if he crosses below you might have a snapshot opp. Or another chance to roll & pull hard for angles.

Last, combine practise with someone who's better than you (this is where you'll learn the most) with someone who has more equal skills. (This is were you practise & perfect new moves)

Little things that all eventually add up to makeing a big difference.

[This message has been edited by Ghosth (edited 07-05-2000).]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
The co E merge
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2000, 05:59:00 PM »
There are no easy right answers here Duckwing. In the end I think dingy said it all, the better plot should win...however...you do have two basic merge philosophy's E and angles. A number of factors come into play. Are you "early" or "late" on your lead turn. A "late" 3 G opener will force the other plane to fly further around the circle and can result in an E advantage.

Lateral seperation is especially important in an "angles" merge in order to create an angular advantage via an early lead turn. The general rule is close in on the nose for E fighting and hor/vert seperation for angles.

One last thing to look at is the type of merge, "nose to nose (1 circle)" or "nose to tail (2 circle)"...a nose to tail opener is an E fight and a nose to nose indicates an angles opener.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
The co E merge
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2000, 01:40:00 AM »
Well how can i force in similar aircraft doing a Co-E merge a nose to tail without putting me into a serious disadvantage in therms of position right away?

in regards of timing... is it better to lead turn e.g. giving the oponent something to rect to, or waiting till the opponent starts his move, so you know what he is up to ?

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
The co E merge
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2000, 01:57:00 AM »
I was always told the first to make his move wins, well most the time. But timing is key.  If you go too soon the enema will counter easier if you go too late you lose.
I fight angles better than E still. And I do much better if I don't think about the fight while it happens just go with the flow. So I can't really tell ya how/when to go.  I do know you have to commit yourself to E or angles from the start and make it a full commitment. IF you half-ass the merge not sure which way to go you will be dead sooner than later.  I showed ya that today in the duels. I was thinking about it and didn't commit to one or the other.
Only lotsa practice will get ya better.  Talk ghosth into working angles with ya. He taught me a sh*tload a couple of years ago and it sticks with me today.

S!
Rocket

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
The co E merge
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2000, 02:13:00 AM »
RE: HO after low G merge
I find it's quite difficult to avoid the HO in this situation.  I used to try to avoid it, but I'd be so slow I get shot doing it everytime.  I'd be interested to hear what people do in this situation.

RE: Counter low G merge
I had one guy do this to me in my WB days.  Instead of an immel, he did a flat turn! - a low G one of course.  He just pulled up nicely onto my 6 while I was doing my low G immel.  Although I was above him, his speed on the low G flat turn put him nicely on my 6!  

What could I have done?
Rope..he was too close.

Reverse on him?  He was too close to get a gun solution.

Spiral climb?..for similar planes, I think this is just prolonging the inevitable, coz he'll be on my 6.

I'd be interested to see how people counteract this move too..

Ex.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
The co E merge
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2000, 05:37:00 AM »
190A5(A) vs 190A5(B), 10k merge. Suppose they merge at 250mph, (B) starts a typical lo g immelman while (A) keeps level accelerating to 275. At this point (A) switch on autoangle with 25-30 degrees nose up. When (A) speed drops below 190, (A) switch ON autospeed 190 and keeps in substained climb. At some point, (B) will end its semiloop and will be a bit higher than (A), but much slower, and separation has increased to more than d5. (A) keeps the substained 190mph climb while (B) aproaches it gaining some speed but loosing the alt advantage. At some point, (B) will be efectively at (A) six but a bit lower and with only a slight speed advantage, the distance has decreased to d3. (A) starts to decrease the autospeed to 170-150 and then dissengange autospeed. If well timed, (A) will be in vertical climb with (B) at d1.5 or d2. At the top of the hammerhead (A) will be about 600 yards higher than (B) and the E battle is won.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
The co E merge
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2000, 12:13:00 PM »
Duckwing...both exile and Mandoble are illustrating "nose to tail" openers...Mandoble's is the extreme end of a late E opener that forces opponent for fly the "long" way. I've only fought the 1 ladder duel so far...and dogftr hosed me fair and square. 1 fight (1st) ended on post merge HO. 3 went down to the deck and were edge of envelope fights. I won the nikki and dogftr both 109 and 190(a8)...last was a go thru motion gift from me. reason I brought it up is that dogftr beat me in both 109 and 190 on two circle openers. As far as i'm concerned at the time i thought I beat him on both merges and lost cause he a better 109/190 driver BUT...reviewing it he gave angles for E on opener (never letting me get to much edge) and nuetralized position thru midgame and won both when I "flipped out" on the end game. Text book shaw by a guy who can obviously fly the edge mentally as well as physically. Dangerous if you mess it up..but truthfully pretty safe if you really can hit the sweet spot.

This all comes down to levels of experience and time. This game evens things up pretty well...but when an angles flier meets a "E" fighting expert, the angle flier is going to get hurt most of the time.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
The co E merge
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2000, 11:09:00 AM »
Well, There are several options going into this merge. I use a low G immel alot but not always. Depends on the AC and my "perception" of the pilot. I always watch the other guy and NEVER lose sight of him. My goal is not to gain angles on my opponent--but to get above him and gain a superior E state. Once I am above him, i dictate the fight. My opponent is forced to capitolize on a mistake, which hopefully i will not make. 95% of these duels are decided on the initial merge.  After this its all about making the right decision/maneuver, being aggressive and not making mistakes.

DW--if you like I would be glad to be a sparring partner for you ane evening, or feel free to email me if you have any questions.

ammo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
The co E merge
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2000, 05:09:00 PM »
What is a 'low G Immelmann'?

Many of the AH a/c seem to bleed knots like a stuck pig when going vertical...in some, getting over on your back is an accomplishment on its own...so the idea of pulling up with 'low Gs' with the expectation of making it over the top is worth a discussion.

Since the folks that read these references to such maneuvers may well go out and try it themselves, perhaps you guys can include some suggested airspeeds and recommended G schedules.

How about some more info?

Andy

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
The co E merge
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2000, 07:42:00 PM »
This thread can be a good deal for newbies, but only if folks remember that instruction is not telling the 'what' so much as it is telling the 'how' and the 'why'. In a sim like AH where the choice of views is limited, this becomes even more important.

Why? Because, the 1v1 is a visual exercise...the pilot that manages his views most effectively will usually gain the victory. So, if tips are to be passed along...and that is the way most of us learn...then those tips and techniques need to be explained in language that is transferrable to the sim. Some examples...

>>the victor goes to the pilot who is able to ride the edge of the flight envelope without stalling<<

How do you do this? What does the buzzing sound at high AOA mean and how is this feature of the sim used to best advantage?

>>Learn at least 3 or 4 merges and be prepared going in to use any of them!<<

Sounds good to me. What are they?

>>Then sneak a peek over your shoulder to see what the other guy is doing.<<

How do you do this? What view were you in and what view are you going to? Then...what are you looking for?

>>a nose to tail opener is an E fight and a nose to nose indicates an angles opener.<<

Wrong. The one circle and two circle are both angles fights...unless you define an Immelmann opener as a 'nose to tail'. It's not...the one circle/two circle concepts are meant to be seen as in-plane maneuvers.

>>Are you "early" or "late" on your lead turn. A "late" 3 G opener will force the other plane to fly further around the circle and can result in an E advantage.<<

An 'E advantage' for whom? What is the point of this comment?

>>Text book shaw by a guy who can obviously fly the edge mentally as well as physically<<

Now, what is a newbie supposed to get from this? How does this improve his BFM skills?

>>both exile and Mandoble are illustrating "nose to tail" openers...Mandoble's is the extreme end of a late E opener that forces opponent for fly the "long" way.<<

Nope...again. Mandoble described a blow thru and subsequent climbing extension. Given the geometry, the opponent actually flew the 'short' way, ie an in-plane Immelmann against the extending adversary.

>>I always watch the other guy and NEVER lose sight of him.<<

Great advice. But how is the newbie supposed to do this? What view(s) do you use?

As a young Lt, I always looked forward to Friday nights at the O'Club bar. There was always going to be an 'old head' that would be more than willing (as long as we kept buying the beers) to regale us with tales of derring-do. Our job was to separate the bar talk and BS from the genuine nuggets of info that he could pass along. It's always been that way in fighters...and I don't see things changing anytime soon.

Things aren't much different here. You folks that are really good need to keep the faith with the new guys. Let's not play 'I've Got A Secret'! Spread the wealth around...we'll all be better for it.

Andy

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
The co E merge
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2000, 08:18:00 PM »
Andy:

ouch, ouch, ouch

I don't want this post misunderstood, I mess with this for fun...you did it for a living. So i'm looking for clarification...not argueing.

>>a nose to tail opener is an E fight and a nose to nose indicates an angles opener.<<...

Wrong. The one circle and two circle are both angles fights...unless you define an Immelmann opener as a 'nose to tail'. It's not...the one circle/two circle concepts are meant to be seen as in-plane maneuvers...

Everything i've learned says 1 circle is an angles opener and 2 circle is an E opener..and yes they can be out of plane far as I've learned.

>>Are you "early" or "late" on your lead turn. A "late" 3 G opener will force the other plane to fly further around the circle and can result in an E advantage.<<

...An 'E advantage' for whom? What is the point of this comment?...

This is an attempt to convey the merits of early vs late lead turns on a merge..a part of the 3-4 different merges.

>>Text book shaw by a guy who can obviously fly the edge mentally as well as physically<<

...Now, what is a newbie supposed to get from this? How does this improve his BFM skills?...

Taken in context it was ment to illustrate that how we think impacts how we learn...often newbies focus on one aspect at the expense of another. By using a personal experience I was attempting to illustrate that planning & execution are equally important in a dogfight.

>>both exile and Mandoble are illustrating "nose to tail" openers...Mandoble's is the extreme end of a late E opener that forces opponent for fly the "long" way.<<

Nope...again. Mandoble described a blow thru and subsequent climbing extension. Given the geometry, the opponent actually flew the 'short' way, ie an in-plane Immelmann against the extending adversary....

To me your wrong on this one...mandoble is flying a straight zoom on the merge...the con has to rev and follow...and mandoble saddles up in the vertical at the end...a classic 2 circle merge..in the vertical.

Again, I'm always looking to learn, just curious bout your mindset on this one post.

respectfully

humble

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
The co E merge
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2000, 08:20:00 PM »

>>the victor goes to the pilot who is able to ride the edge of the flight envelope without stalling<<

Well, IMHO, riding the stall efficiently means you MUST be regularly retrimming your aircraft to the current flight conditions.  Having your trims mapped to stick keys makes this considerably easier.  If you're in a edge-of-the-stall turnfight the victor will almost invariably be the person who manages his trim better than his opponent.  Watch the slip indicator at all times, and keep it centred up using trim if at all possible.  Are you holding a heap of back pressure to keep the plane in the turn?  Maybe you need some up elevator trim.  Plane trying to roll to one side?  Counterract with aileron trim.  Anything you can do to decrease drag in the turnfight will help you manage your energy better, and being out of trim can bleed your airspeed and energy substantially.

>>Learn at least 3 or 4 merges and be prepared going in to use any of them!<<

OK.  Just off the top of my head, I'd say to learn the pure vertical zoom merge, oblique immelman, barrel roll attack and flat turn merge (not that I recommend flat turns  )

[QUOTE}>>Then sneak a peek over your shoulder to see what the other guy is doing.<<[/QUOTE]

No hard and fast solutions to this question.  But Andy, if you're flying a merge in RL you don't say to yourself "I must check my back-rear view" after the merge.  You do it automatically I would expect.  If the con shows signs of blowing straight through on the merge, I'd be checking my dead 6 or up/6 view.  If he was in a left hand turn prior to a HO merge I'd be checking my dead 6, up/6 and back right views.  No hard and fast rules I'm afraid.

>>I always watch the other guy and NEVER lose sight of him.<<

And here is the heart of the matter.  Practice using ALL your views, ALL the time.  Cycle between them regularly during combat.  Fly offline aerobatics at 50 feet while cycling through your views and trying not to crash.  Practice flat scissors while only looking out of your 6 and up/6 views.  Practice hard break turns and barrel rolls while only looking out of your 6 and up views.

PRACTICE YOUR VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!  Get used to the hat positions on your stick (assuming you have views mapped to a hat).  If not, get used to having your fingers dancing around the numpad whilst in flight.

Err.. did I remember to say PRACTICE YOUR VIEWS!!!  

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
'feel the heat .......'

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
The co E merge
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2000, 10:20:00 PM »
Humble

No reason for the 'ouch'! I deliberately did not include names with the examples because my intent was not to focus on an individual but to look at the instructional value of the post. We all do this hobby for the best of reasons...mine is to pass along some 33 years now of real world flight experience.

To answer your specific questions...

>>Everything i've learned says 1 circle is an angles opener and 2 circle is an E opener..and yes they can be out of plane far as I've learned.<<

This raises the ever-present issue of terminology and definitions. BFM has been around forever and not much new has happened to the basics...but nevertheless, we see new names sometimes replacing old. On top of that is the fact that some organizations use different definitions and terms than others (USN vs USAF, for example).

Because of this, I tend to follow traditional USAF BFM terminology. In this, the one circle/two circle option is only discussed in relation to in-plane maneuvering...and in basic instruction is referred to as being level with the horizon. The reason is to remove any additional considerations that may get in the way of the primary objective - the advantages/disadvantages of either option.

So, I must disagree with you! As a general statement, the one/two circle option is seen as an in-plane angles situation.

>>I was attempting to illustrate that planning & execution are equally important in a dogfight.<<

Ahhh!! 'Planning and execution' are much better than 'mentally and physically'. Actually, I agreed with your inital statement as far as the real world goes...G effect is a major factor to be overcome in a hard fight and has a definite impact on physical performance and mental stamina...but we don't have to deal with G in our sims (other than to quit pulling when the screen turns dark...and even then we can continue to pull. Try that in RL and you'll get the chance to take a nap!)

>>To me your wrong on this one...mandoble is flying a straight zoom on the merge...a classic 2 circle merge..in the vertical.<<

Hmmm...that's not how I read the description. Mandoble goes straight thru, then climbs. The opponent pulls up into an Immelmann. They are both flying in or close to the same plane, ie the vertical, and, essentially, in the same circle. See Shaw, page 81, figure 2-15. BTW, read Shaw's discussion of the one/two circle fight and you will see little reference to energy but lots of talk about turn performance.

As to my mindset on these posts...I strongly endorse folks passing along tips and techniques. I think your enthusiasm is great and I'd like to see it be contagious. I don't want to play the role of 'know-it-all', but at the same time, I won't let incorrect info pass without comment. It's a lousy job but someone has to do it!!

Jekyll

>>and being out of trim can bleed your airspeed and energy substantially.<<

Good comments on the issue of trimming, but we need to differentiate between trimming off control pressures and an out-of trim flight control surface. If you fly around with your rudder trimmed out of alignment, it will tend to produce unnecessary drag.

But...if you are holding back stick pressure to maintain a desired attitude, the fact that the stick is not trimmed has no effect on airspeed. The elevator is going to be deflected whether you have it trimmed or not. It's not the out of trim that produces the extra drag, it's the control surface deflection to begin with.

>>OK. Just off the top of my head, I'd say to learn the pure vertical zoom merge, oblique immelman, barrel roll attack and flat turn merge<<

Fair enough. Let's get the terminology right. The 'oblique Immelmann' is called a pitchback...a descending similar maneuver is the slice. A 'barrel roll attack' has absolutely nothing to do with a merge...it is a BFM maneuver intended to solve an excessive aspect angle and is usually performed behind the bandit's wingline.

I see only two merge options...you either turn or you don't. Everything else is a subset of those two.

>>Err.. did I remember to say PRACTICE YOUR VIEWS!!!<<

There's no better advice.

Here is what I emphasize when using snap views...(1) the importance of maintaining SA with your nose position, (2) Configuring your snap views to get the best possible advantageous perspective...AH is outstanding in this regard,(3) maintaining an awareness of the lift vector when changing views,(4) understanding how to maneuver out of plane using snap views...in other words, avoiding the 'G for brains' syndrome.

Lastly...and well into the FWIW dept...compared to what RL BFM looks like, snap views are an aberration. They have a certain usefulness for maintaing a good bogey scan, but that's about it. I realize that this is a no-win issue...but I can tell you this. I have yet to meet a snap view advocate that has ever done this for real...they may be out there..I just haven't run across them!

Andy