Author Topic: HOG....manual to get out of spin, please ?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
HOG....manual to get out of spin, please ?
« on: July 11, 2000, 07:52:00 AM »
Man does that bird have a nasty spin if you get in it, I lost 20K alt this morning trying to get out of it !

Cut throttle, pushed nose down...nothing...up to 3K alt...

What's the trick ? (No smart answer like: Don't get into one, please   )

Saw

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 07-11-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2000, 07:59:00 AM »

Originally posted by Saintaw:
Cut throttle, pushed nose down...nothing...up to 3K alt...

What's the trick ? (No smart answer like: Don't get into one, please     )

Saw

Saw,first of all WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN A F4U?!?!?! GET BACK TO THE 190! NOW!  

to the matter   you forgot to apply opposite rudder to stop the stall, and the rudder is the most important thing in a spin.

what I do when I spin:
Move stick forward, cut throttle and press rudder opposite to the direction of the spin.

you must be very careful and watch when is the spin stopping. Too much rudder input will mean an OPPOSITE spin  

But once you get the taste, its easy (I sometimes stall the 190 as last ditch move to avoid bounces...sometimes that means a spin, and it is VERY funny to get it out from the spin while praying god that the con doesnt get you in the meantime  )

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2000, 08:21:00 AM »
The AH HOG sometimes ha the tendency to flat spin . (especially when you stalled out more or less goig straight up and then pull or rudder hard.

What i found is that wen normal spin recovery methods:

Full stick forward full opposite rudder and throttle idle

don't bring me out of the spin you have to try and "swing" the aircraft back to a flyable ange of attack .. eg. i'll try and alternately apply full throttle and idle and push / pull on the elevator in an attempt to get a steeper spin that is recoverable.

DW6

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2000, 08:44:00 AM »
I did use the Rudder (Might have to recalibrate my stuff tho...)

RAM, am no longer flying German Iron, as I am now part of the 323 Death Rattlers (F4U D ....tryingtolearn!)

------------------
SAW/Saintaw
VMF-323 Death Rattlers

"It's supposed to be hard; that's what makes it great!"
Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

.squelch creamo

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 07-11-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2000, 11:26:00 AM »
I'm not sure if this is applicable in AH but...in a flat spin you have almost no airflow over control surfaces. In Bob Hoover's book he talks about inverted flat spin recovery in the P39. He was out of options and popped the gear. I'd say you need to work flaps and gear to try and alter drag profile enough to get plane to tumble a bit.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2000, 11:41:00 AM »
Got Hoovers autographed book, great person if you ever get a chance to chat with him, he's one of the "men behind the scene" (Yeagers wingy)

Anyone tried dropping gear for dive bombing in a hog?  Does it help?

Been away from the Hog too long, time to saddle her up again!

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
VMF-323 Death Rattlers
Panzer Group Afrika~15th Panzer Division~[/i]
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for 15th Panzer info

I spare no class or cult or  creed,
My course is endless through the year.
I bow all heads and break all hearts,
All owe homage-I am Fear.

-------------General Patton

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 07-11-2000).]

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2000, 03:32:00 PM »
Hi -- I had a stall experience in a hog that is about the dumbest thing you ever heard.....I was lazy and hit "X" when I was in a steep bank, the plane stalled from the rapid recovery and I didn't recover until I took autopilot off by hitting "X" again.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2000, 06:52:00 PM »
Saw,

Someone mentioned the auto-trim being on. This reminds me of a death stall i did in a P38 from 18k. I was on autoclimb 170 when i took auto climb off and started a banking turn (which musta taken more speed off) and i then pressed X. The auto trim tried to trim the aircraft which then started stalling and finally ended up in a vicious wing stall. I chopped throttle (not that does much in a 38) applied full opposite rudder, and stick forward. It just keeped on spiralling down. I tried add some throttle to see if that made any dif, but no. So i plumetted 18K to my death.

When i thought about why i couldn't pull it out its because the auto-trim had trimed my aircraft at the point of stall. I shold have neutralised my trims when my initial attempt at recovery failed.

So when you get into a wing stall that seems hopless, just take a peek at ya trim settings. and adjust as necessary.

Hope this helps.

cya up, Spat.

BTW - get back in that stang - you were getting a dab hand at that...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2000, 03:42:00 AM »
Well, my Hog was trimmed level at 250 IAS, right before I engaged Extreme, missed him on 1st pass & we started Loopin' & flippin all around the skies. At one point I was flipping over him (not watching my Dials, but looking at him in the UP view...) When the TRRRRRRRR starts going mad & I started spinning like a ...

Will check trim next time & apply flaps...

Saw

PS: Want to fly HOG D exclusively for the time being as it is the plane I will be flying during Squad Nights & I Totaly forgot HOW to fly it... me needs training !  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2000, 08:54:00 AM »
Saw fly it like a 190 and you will do fine in it. As for the spin use the throttle by pumping it from idle to full it will help pull it out, you may also need to input some aileron also.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
Member Of The 1st Aces High Trainer Corps.
Everthing else is just Second place.
Indian's Homepage

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2000, 08:59:00 AM »
LOL, Indian, I was just gonna post that!~
more specifically, fly it like a 190A8

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2000, 10:43:00 AM »
Yes Rip how true the A8 it is.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
Member Of The 1st Aces High Trainer Corps.
Everthing else is just Second place.
Indian's Homepage

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2000, 10:23:00 PM »
If you haven't seen this check it out.  It's what got me flying the Hog and loving it.
 http://members.home.com/mefletcher/wbhog.html

Ex.

Offline Rickenbacker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2000, 05:50:00 AM »
Good advice from all here I think...

IRL you'd just neutralize stick and push full rudder against the spin, or push the stick forward (although in the gliders I fly you might be at VNE before getting out of the spin if you did that). In the Hog, though, full throttle might actually help, IF the standard method doesn't work.

If you're still spinning helplessly towards the ground, rock the plane back and forth with the elevators, pop flaps and gear or whatever comes to mind. Just don't EVER try to stop the spin using ailerons. That only makes the spin worse, since the already stalled low wing will now create even more drag.

Rickenbacker

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2000, 12:49:00 PM »
I found that turning the engine off dramatically reduces the time it takes to recover from a spin in the Corsair in AH.  Even at idle, there is some component of engine torque that seems to adversly affect spin recovery.  I only do this if the spin is unrecoverable from standard recovery techniques.  Unfortunately, rudder induced drag is so high in AH that full rudder application to stop the spin will also hinder acceleration to flying speed to break the stall.  Turning the engine off reduces the amount of required opposite rudder to break the spin and allows quicker acceleration back to flying speed.  Once you're flying again, remember to start the engine quickly.

MiG