Author Topic: Volunteer to be a towed target?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
Volunteer to be a towed target?
« on: April 14, 2000, 07:12:00 AM »
Hi all.....

I need a volunteer to act as a towed target for me.  

My problem is that either the modeling of the gunnery isn't right, or the sights supplied are wonky, suffering from some sort of distortion.

I've been trying out the P51 and wondering why I wasn't obliterating bad guys when on their dead six at 200-300 yds.  I'd open fire and the rounds seemed to drop below them, which I don't believe should be the case at that range.  In WB, if one opened fire in close like that, the rounds had a very straight trajectory and would impact generally where one placed the sight dot.  I began to experiment and found that if I placed the sight dot considerably ABOVE the target, even for a straight and level shot at 200-300 yds, I would get a tremendous amount of hits.

I've never fired 30 or 50 cal from an aircraft, but have considerable experience as a tank gunnery instructor firing these weapons from both stationary and moving ground/vehicle mounts.  I've never seen such dramatic round drop at such short ranges before.  Of course, tracers being lighter in weight than standard ball (lead) rounds do fire higher (variable by distance), but here in this example I'm talking about the lead projectiles only.  Actually, to digress, I really don't see any difference in AH between trajectories of tracer and ball munitions, when there actually is in real life.

Anyway, since it's only a game, rather than get into a whole flamefest about why they've modeled it this way, I simply want to create and adjust my sight picture (dot) to correct this phenomenon.

What I need is someone who will fly straight and level for me during a training session so I can mark up my screen with various indicators and then create a sight that removes this strange parallax condition for me.  Unfortunately, with no off-line capability I can't accomplish this on my own.

Anyone willing to help me out?

Regards,
Badger

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2000, 07:25:00 AM »
Sure badger, just let me know when to meet you online, I'll be happy to be a drone.

ts

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2000, 07:28:00 AM »
Of course I would!

But getting back to your problem, have you customized your views? If so, you may want to try this; in the forward view, hit your "home" key. This returns the view to its default. Look at the site. The green of the crosshairs should be a bit darker than when you are off-center. If that made a color difference for you, then try shooting someone.

I don't think the bullet drop is that considerable for me...

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2000, 07:45:00 AM »
Badger, you'll most likely always find a trainer online in AH.  Check the list of  trainers on webpage, then go online,  and page one of  us.  We *may* be involved in a sortie, but after sortie, anyone of us is sure to help you.

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
I/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

Turning Spitfires into Bud Lite cans since 1992

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-14-2000).]

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2000, 07:57:00 AM »
Wow.....thanks for the quick response guys, especially from some great "sticks".

It's probably the ONLY time I'll actually get to win a fight against such talent.    

Anyway, I will go to the main and training area next time I'm on and see if any of you are there.

Kieren.....you make a good point about the "head position".  I should validate that I haven't actually distorted it somehow by repositioning it.  I hadn't thought about that.....thanks.

Maybe I just need to get my bifocals changed.  It's kind of hard to peer over them and fire at the same time.

Regards,
Badger

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 04-14-2000).]

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2000, 09:58:00 AM »
If you see me online Badger, just give me a yell and we can go over to the Training Arena, and work on it  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
Carpe Jugulum
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2000, 12:07:00 PM »
Ditto Badger!  Same here!

Just let me know!!  I'll check the TA when I log on to see if your there!!    

------------------
Swager
-XO- II/JG2~Richthofen~
"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 04-14-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2000, 11:49:00 AM »
  Hell, I'm a target of every other type.  Might as well add "towed" to the list.  

Also, consider 'where' your head position is saved in default forward view.  That can throw off aim pretty much.  And, are you using the default gunsight or one of the mods?

I use the circle (scope) with 2 45 degree bank indicators.  On the 51, it comes out to fighters wing touch circle equals 225 yards or close to it.

Good hunting  

------------------
Tern
"Live to Fly!  Fly to Fight!  Fight to Live!"
========================
"There I was, inverted at 50 feet and 120 kts. and the only thing running was the radio."

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2000, 02:16:00 AM »

The 50.cal, browning would not drop within 400-500 yards. Its is zeroed in at 500 yards.
This is atleast true for the groundversion.

Now I am a happy M2 Browning owner. ( From swedish mustang) made by springfield 1943, swedish designation "akan m/45" (akan stands for Automaticcannon, 12,7mm (.50) was considered to be Cannon in sweden thoose days) it was delivered with solinoid, sights, optional gripes, spare barrels in a nice green wooden box. Photos coming up! And yes, it is fully operational.

Crabofix.