Author Topic: Anyone catch SNL last night?  (Read 444 times)

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
Anyone catch SNL last night?
« on: October 31, 2004, 08:13:54 PM »
Absolutely had to be the worst episode I've ever seen. The only part remotely funny was the initial OBL broadcast/translation. The animated bit where McCain suffers flashbacks and wigs out a-la Apocolypse Now was funny, but way over the top of the wierd scale.

What's happened to that show over the years? It used to make me roll of my couch laughing...now I just look at it the way a guy might look at his first date if she farted loudly in a restaraunt.

O.o

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 08:15:26 PM »
Try Mad TV.  It's falling too, but I still think its better than SNL.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 08:33:07 PM »
I tried to watch SNL last night, I lasted through 3 skits and eminimim.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 08:39:37 PM »
Chris Farley died, Tim Meadows actually retired after 20,000+ years, Dennis Miller is doing his own thing, a bunch moved on to movie careers (David Spade, Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, and many others).  The rest of the greats have moved on.

Basically the new cast sucks bellybutton and has sucked bellybutton for quite a few years now.  Horatio Sans is ass, and Jimmy Fallon, how the shreck did they find him anyway?  Sandler clone - and a horrible one at that.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 08:41:48 PM »
My standard is the original cast, seen live, and even those "greats" you mention were barely watchable.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 08:45:32 PM »
and G.E. Smith left the band, really miss his guitar
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 08:58:09 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
My standard is the original cast, seen live, and even those "greats" you mention were barely watchable.

Included in "the rest" would be:

Murray
Kaufman
Belushi
Hartman
Aykroyd
Murphy
Short
Carvey
Lovits
Meyers
Nealon
even Rob Scheider :)

I consider all casts pre-1994 to be golden and the casts pre-1984 to be in a league of their own :)
octavius

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 09:02:06 PM »
They even had women!

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 09:03:20 PM »
I can count the number of times I've laughed out loud during SNL on one hand.  

Most overrated pile of crap ever.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 09:06:42 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
I can count the number of times I've laughed out loud during SNL on one hand.  

Most overrated pile of crap ever.

It used to be really funny. I don't watch it anymore beacuse 1) it isnt funny anymore and 2) it isnt interactive like my comp is :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 09:11:36 PM »
They're not easy to remember :)

Radner, Jackson, um, Kurzizowski or something?
octavius

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 09:17:45 PM »
I still enjoy SNL. It's not the same show it was 25 years ago because, well it's 25 years later. I think you guys just hate Tina Fey's liberal views. Guess what? The show has ALWAYS been liberal. They have ALWAYS parodied the sitting President, Republican or Democrat from Gerald Ford to Bush, Jr.

You want badly written, seriously unfunny SNL? Look to the Eddie Murphy / Joe Piscapo years. The current crop is plenty talented.

BTW, the Smigel cartoon was great. You really have to feel sorry for McCain. Being saddled by the RNC with campaigning for a man he does'nt respect has to be hard for him to swallow. (Exactly the point of the cartoon.)
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 09:23:51 PM »
It isn't the lefty perspective that turns me off. They'll make fun of anybody almost equally across the board. What I don't like is that it just isn't funny anymore. The skits are awful, the cast is mostly awful, and the new charachters they've come up with like that fat rapper and the hyperactive kid wanting her ears pearced are just awful. The Smigel cartoon might have been funnier if it were more scripted instead of just playing with the same sound clips over and over. I got the point of the cartoon just fine.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 09:34:59 PM »
Did you see the story 60 Minutes ran about SNL tonight? It followed the show from Monday to air. They pick 10-15 skits out of 40 or so. They then thin that out by the audience reaction during Dress. Comedy is probably the hardest artform to create. Add to it the fact that the show is live (the only one on TV) and it's a very tough row to hoe.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 09:49:02 PM »
No, I didn't catch the 60 mins story and didn't know how they chose their skits. Maybe it's just me, then. I'm not exactly in touch with what's popular these days. I don't even think of Eminem as an artist after hearing his performance last night. (But I wish I had his bank account)