Author Topic: Smack your kid and leave a mark? Prison for 5 years  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Smack your kid and leave a mark? Prison for 5 years
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 06:38:47 AM »
5 years for a little mark? :eek:

I bet you *might* get the same if you beat up an adult very bad.
What a reasonable time to spend in jail for a little scratch.

Kids needs to have the respect for authority and that does not happen if theres no need to think ahead of the actions.
Besides nowadays kids do know the law pretty well.. they know what they can do for little or no consequences.
Some people just tend to underestimate their intelligence and gets overprotective.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 06:48:32 AM »
I got my parenting degree thru equivalence by black belt in taekwondo.

Proper logic?? **** that! I've got brass knuckles for the little pissers!  A mistake in some nuance they haven't learned to appreciate yet? 15 taetokooshedans in the jaw, till they figure it out.  If they can't see the corelation, wellemme tell ya, **** THEM, they're flying right out the ****in window!
And if you think my methods are exaggerated and inadapted to the simple need for guidance of the little ****s, well I direct you to my precision 40lb brick-braking fingertip technique diploma and precision katana-cutting degree: I can brake/slice thru anything without upsetting a spinning dish on top... don't tell me about "inexperience" or "guess work".
Eye for an eye, today's youth is decadent and ****.

Convincing, right?? :D
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 07:00:59 AM »
Went to visit my wife at work a few years ago and someone had a book by some Ph.D. I flipped through real quick when my wife was on the phone and saw an interesting point made. And one I happen to whole heartedly agree with that went something alone the lines of this
  "There is a difference between dicipline and abuse.
If you send your child to his/her room for the night, Thats discipline. If you lock them in their rooms for 3-4 days, Thats abuse.
Likewise, IF you beat the dickens out of your kid thats abuse, a simple pop or two on the butt is discipline"

I am lucky, I have raised my hand to both my kids combined maybe 1/2 dozen times. But they know I'll do it.
 Interesting thing is I've never swatted either of them harder then I have when playing with them in fact probably lighter. The only difference is in the circumstances and tone of my voice.

But you also have to know your kid. And what works with them

Some kids I've seen thats all they really understood other  kids I've known no amount of beating in the world would help.
But by the same token their parents rarely gave punishments that stuck either.

There are some that wont touch their kids because it will "emotionally scar them"

I say YES,,, EXACTLY!

the Same type of emotional scar you get when you grab a hot pot without a potholder.

Not all scarring is bad.

This law however is.
Unless there is real abuse going on. I do not believe the government should have ANY right whatsoever to tell you how to raise your child.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 07:05:36 AM »
I'm just saying your authority means jack**** if you aren't credible.  
Anger is inherent to one's incapacity to articulate his or her pov, for one reason or another.
Difficulty is symptomatic of incorrect method; that's not reinventing the wheel is it...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 07:16:49 AM »
I will lay my cards on the table so to speak

I have "beat" my son (he was 14 at the time)

Hell yeah i would do it again in the same circumstances

2yrs til he is 18 so until then i can be charged with abh maybe even gbh who knows with fubar uk laws

And before bleeding heart libs jump on and ask if i was "beaten" as a kid and am doing what was done to me NO

My mother smacked all four of us (2 elder sisters and a younger brother)

My dad belted me ONCE

I took a damn about my sons life but now it doesn't matter

Laws are seemingly more n more for the louts in the UK, I tried and failed to stop my son from turning into one and resorted to beating (violence) as a last resort and even this failed but i truly believe i had to try it

Some people you just cannot change and alas my son chose his path and couldn't veer from said chosen path

Society here is imho crumbling fast and without common-sense smacking/beatings (beatings as several smacks/slaps etc not battons or alike that so goes hand-in-hand with mental image of "beating") it's just gonna worsen

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 07:21:13 AM »
First off, swatting a kid after roughly age 3 or 4 ain't gonna do anything.  Removing priveleges or restriction works better from my experience.  Secondly, if/when you do swat them on the behind, if it leaves a welt, then you're using too much force.  The mear act itself without excessive force usually gets the message across.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 07:34:29 AM »
Originally posted by moot

No kids yet.

:D   Would be interesting to see how long your "no spanking" views hold after you actualy have children.
  I believe you might tend to bend those views when you come home from a bad day at work looking for a little peace and quiet and shortly after grabbing a cool one and hittin the recliner your wife informs you that the little darling has just keyed both sides of your new Vette and broken out the headlights in form of a rebellion for the ever so popular "Time out" you had just enforced.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2004, 07:43:52 AM »
Never heard of time out and wouldn't have thought of it.  Might be useful in some cases but so far it's described like a end-all bandaid solution which is in itself flawed, no need to debate it.
Kids are more lucid than that.

I don't think I could get mad at them.  I don't know what to tell you except it's just not a viable solution to any problem.  
You're responsible for your actions and your emotions are part of those, so why should an irresponsible act be the counter-argument to another irresponsible act?  The point is to convince them otherwise, not reinforce their perception that "BEING PISSED GETS **** DONE".
Intolerance for dissatisfaction is another story though.

"Things've gone far enough and I can't take it anymore!"
well wtf.  Is that the example that'll convince them to trust you?

Key my sports car and I'll make you, the kid, understand why you should feel guilty.  But more importantly why guilt is subordinate to reason.
Crayola the wall and I think I'll probably put a frame around the centerpiece and leave the kid to embarassment when guests inquire :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 07:48:17 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2004, 07:57:45 AM »
Originally posted by Curval

I have left red marks on my kid's backsides after a spanking with my hand...
...BUT, the times where I have hit my child a wee bit too hard I am fully aware of it and stop immediately.
...I'm not a "child beater".

Gotta remember that excuse if I find myself again from court and being accused of assault, "When I noticed I had hit too hard I did stop immediately, I'm not a violent assaulter"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2004, 07:58:49 AM »
Read the first post in this thread on how a neighborhood kid turned out when his parents chose not to spank.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2004, 08:26:29 AM »
Originally posted by Staga
Gotta remember that excuse if I find myself again from court and being accused of assault, "When I noticed I had hit too hard I did stop immediately, I'm not a violent assaulter"

AGAIN Staga?

One of us has a problem...it ain't me.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2004, 08:39:33 AM »
I HAVE TWO KIDS

And as a matter of fact I wooped my son twice last night.  Even good kids need a little sting every now and then to bring them back to reality!  My kids seem to get in a zone every now and then were they close their ears and shut their brains off.  They could spend hours in the corner doing time out and as soon as the timer goes off they do something to go right back in there.

The way to spank a kid properly is never do it when you are angry, it should hurt you (your feelings) as much as it hurts their rear.  Parents can do real damage to a kid when they do this so being calm about it is important.  

Myself....I don't woop them to cause major pain it's more to cause a sting than anything else.  I also put the guilt trip on them afterwords saying how "dissapointed" I am at their behavior.

BUT for me the most IMPORTANT thing parents can do for their kids when punishing them......Explain what the kid did wrong afterwords!  Kids should know why they are being punished for whatever reason.

as far as a govt. banning this, I do not approve of a govt. telling me how to raise my kid.  It doesnt take a villiage, just a strong and loving parent.

Just my thoughts!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2004, 08:41:20 AM »
I gotta agree with the parents in here. I just spend the much of the day yestterday with friends and their 2.5 year old and a 4.5 year old kids.  The 2.5 year old ran his tantrums (the terrible two's IIRC) and hit a few some with his toys and generally made some trouble. You couldnt tell him anything "rational"  but a little smack from his daddy on the behind got him in line and calmed down - he realized he should stop. I got the impression that kids his age are selfish and do whatver they want to explore and test limits so the smack helps give somne direct  selfish consequences to stop the behavior.

The 4.5 year old kid would actuaslly listen and would respond to here parents wishes more directly... This one seemed a whole bunch more rational and of course coulkd talk and communice much better with us.

So from what I have noticed this 2 to 4 year old window where a little smack on the behind works well seems to hold.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2004, 08:59:07 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I gotta agree with the parents in here. I just spend the much of the day yestterday with friends and their 2.5 year old and a 4.5 year old kids.  The 2.5 year old ran his tantrums (the terrible two's IIRC) and hit a few some with his toys and generally made some trouble. You couldnt tell him anything "rational"  but a little smack from his daddy on the behind got him in line and calmed down - he realized he should stop. I got the impression that kids his age are selfish and do whatver they want to explore and test limits so the smack helps give somne direct  selfish consequences to stop the behavior.

The 4.5 year old kid would actuaslly listen and would respond to here parents wishes more directly... This one seemed a whole bunch more rational and of course coulkd talk and communice much better with us.

So from what I have noticed this 2 to 4 year old window where a little smack on the behind works well seems to hold.

That's a very good observation there Grun.  That's basically how it is with my kids..... 2.5 and 5.  What's REALLY frustraiting though is when the older one reverts back because she see's it working with her younger brother.  

Or even worse when you have two parents working against eachother when raising kids

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Punishment, Corporal, duly administered
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2004, 09:05:34 AM »
Well, the day I need a belt to get my kids (now grandkids) attention will be a cold day in hell.   That's outrageous to me, and I was on the receiving end as a kid.

That said, I do strongly believe in a swat on the rump, timed perfectly......     Get's attention, no harm done.

When the child is old enough to reason, you don't even need a swat.....you simply reason away privileges for infractions....it becomes self evident and a life lesson - actions have consequences.

You don't need a weapon to discipline a kid....use your hand, the same one with which you administer love.    Discipline is love.  Kids need and crave it.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)