Author Topic: Smack your kid and leave a mark? Prison for 5 years  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Smack your kid and leave a mark? Prison for 5 years
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2004, 09:06:48 AM »
Originally posted by moot
I don't think I could get mad at them.  I don't know what to tell you except it's just not a viable solution to any problem.  
You're responsible for your actions and your emotions are part of those, so why should an irresponsible act be the counter-argument to another irresponsible act?  The point is to convince them otherwise, not reinforce their perception that "BEING PISSED GETS **** DONE".
Intolerance for dissatisfaction is another story though.

"Things've gone far enough and I can't take it anymore!"
well wtf.  Is that the example that'll convince them to trust you?

Key my sports car and I'll make you, the kid, understand why you should feel guilty.  But more importantly why guilt is subordinate to reason.
Crayola the wall and I think I'll probably put a frame around the centerpiece and leave the kid to embarassment when guests inquire :D

Your Holier than thou attitude will change.  You THINK you know what you are talking about, but you really don't.  BTW, I have a 3 year old son.  

This isn't Leave it To %^&*( Beaver.   I had to unplug the lamp cord and hand it to my father.  But, that happened twice, because my little mind realized I did something wrong and did not like the after effects.  

My wife and have spanked our son.   Why have humans become pussified?  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2004, 10:09:24 AM »
pussified? holier than thou?  wtf are you on about?
You don't know what you're talking about, you don't know what I was put thru, what I saw others of my age or my parents' being put thru, you don't know what I put my parents thru, just wtf do you know besides your quick interpretation of my posted text?

but ok, I'll hit my kids.  They'll understand.  There is never any better alternative that my brain nor any other homo sapiens brain might synthesize.  
I want the best for my kids and will not fall for glorifications nor holierthanthouisms like appealing to force or fear.  I want to be an example for them and thus will exempt myself as the exception to all the rules I teach them.

I'll start by choking the first one in response to his newborn cries, it'll make a perfect example for the ones after him.
They won't even have left my testicles yet at the time, so it'll make no sense, but I'll probably be pissed off at the time so it doesn't matter.

case closed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 10:12:36 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2004, 10:18:36 AM »
Moot,

You are taking things to the extreme and not producing a credible arguement. Try staying in the real world here please.

There is a difference between beating and spanking.

As far as your situation with the Teachers not usiung rulers and so on. I think you need to spend some time in a classroom. Try a Junior High or High School and look at the behavior of the students. Perhaps if Teachers still had the swat option the classroom wouldn't be as bad as it is now.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2004, 10:30:49 AM »
Funny that a guy that apprently screams out aginst "irrational" responses now compares a quick spank to choking infants.

Moot you have no, none, zero, nada clue what you are talking about...

Let it go before you embarass yourself more..

Offline Chortle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2004, 11:41:36 AM »
He's making sense to me, Bravo moot.

p.s. I have no children.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2004, 12:03:39 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
AGAIN Staga?

One of us has a problem...it ain't me.

I'm not the one using violence when raising kids. Thanks for playing :)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »
The age thing is the key. You can tell someone who doesn't have kids because they believe you can reason with a two year old - well I've news for you Moot - YOU CAN'T THE'RE TWO !! they just don't have the capacity that you think they have.

And yes I smacked my daughter when she was young when she needed an instant message that what she was doing was wrong.  Give her a smack for running out into the road - hell yes - it's an effective message.

A smack on the rear at 2 - 4 years and you won't need it after. I have not laid a hand on my daughter since her early years because I haven't needed to and now she is old enough to talk to - as they get older an emotional beating is more effective.  The point is it's in the early years that you teach a child you mean what you say. When that message is set you can talk to them.

This is just another example of Fuhrer Blair's fatherly state......

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Smack your kid and leave a mark? Prison for 5 years
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2004, 12:43:25 PM »
Originally posted by Swoop
That's the law in Britain now.  Leave a red mark on your kid when giving the little git a clout after the rotton little bastard sets fire to the cat and you could go to prison for 5 years.  Daaaaymn.  My Grandad would take his belt off and use it.  

I have no children (that I know of anyway) so my opinion doesn't count.  What do parents think?

I believe that all children need discipline. For my two boys it just so happens that they get the leather belt, a hand across their bottom or on their leg if its the only place I can get to at the moment.

If you don't discipline your children you run the route of allowing them to overtake you and set the rules when you as the parent should be the one setting and maintaining the rules of the house.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2004, 12:48:55 PM »
Blair out in 2005.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2004, 12:54:15 PM »
Originally posted by moot
Why don't teachers at school still use metal rulers on fingertips or public spankings?

To pull one segment of your quote here moot I will say this. Teachers aren't allowed to use "corporal punishment" because you have a very vocal minority that pushed their opinions via the court system and law suits onto the majority of the nations education system. I can honestly say that after getting 4 or 5 "licks" from my high school football coach for failing a test that I never failed another test in high school.

To say that a parent "lost control" is one thing but to experience life as a parent is another thing entirely. The day you think you can handle my two boys solely on word discipline is the day I challenge you to step over here and take charge of them for a week while I go on vacation. I don't think you could do it and maintain the level of respect that my children have for adults in positions of authority.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2004, 01:00:13 PM »
Originally posted by Staga
I'm not the one using violence when raising kids. Thanks for playing :)

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.  

Here is what you said:

"Gotta remember that excuse if I find myself again from court and being accused of assault, "When I noticed I had hit too hard I did stop immediately, I'm not a violent assaulter"

The "again" in that sentance implies you have already been in court accused of assault.

I haven't been, nor will I ever.

When I say I "spank" my kids you are probably thinking I do this regularly.  I don't...at all.  I use the "twack" method that Ripsnort suggested years ago for the most part.  I take my middle finger and apply pressure against my thumb...then I "thwack" the kids forehead lightly, but hard enough to get their attention.

If that fails and the child is being totally unreasonable and uncontrollable I will swat them once, maybe twice on the backside.  

As far as the "excuse" thing goes, I was just simply saying that "if" anyone spanks their child they should NEVER use anything other than their hand.  You have no way of knowing how hard that object is hitting your child.  With your hand you do.

The only time I have ever spanked my son "too hard" was once, when I thought he had a diaper on.  Believe me...if you spank a three year old who has a diaper on if you don't add a bit extra force he will just laugh at you.  When I hit him I immediately realised he didn't have the diaper on and was horrified at the strength of the hit.  But, he followed me around like a puppy dog for the rest of the night trying ANYTHING to please his daddy.  I probably haven't been hitting hard enough previously.  lol

Anyway...all of this is quite amusing as so many of the anti-spanking dudes have no children and have absolutely NO CLUE as to what raising kids is like.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2004, 01:12:08 PM »
whos to argue with several thousand years of child rearing with minor violence. if it worked 2000+ years ago, it will probably work now...

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2004, 01:12:11 PM »
Quick story about the discipline in my home.

On September 26th my oldest son turned 8 and we allowed him to buy a Gameboy SP with his birthday money and money he had saved all year long. On the next day September 27th; Parrish took his new gameboy to school without our knowledge and was caught playing it in school. When I got home that afternoon to take him to football practice I got the story. He knew the rules and paid the price which was no practice that day and no game the next day along with 6 weeks of no gameboy and 3 weeks of no television (he only gets 1 hour a day of tv time split between the morning and evening). He was able to go to the game the next day but couldn't dress out and was questioned about why he couldn't play. When asked his response was I messed up in school and now I have to pay the price for messing up. At this age having him not be a part of the team and seeing them struggle without him meant allot to him. With him they would have won easily but without him we barely got by in the game. He learned his lesson and has publicy and privately said it many times since then.

Does he get spankings now....no because he was spanked enough early on to realize that when mom and dad talk I better listen and if I don't then the punishment is swift and hard but warranted.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 01:18:01 PM by Reschke »
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Just for the sake of discussion.......
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2004, 01:27:39 PM »
Why screw his team because he disobeyed?   He should have practiced and played the game.

Donating the game to charity would have conveyed a strong message.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Re: Just for the sake of discussion.......
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2004, 01:50:32 PM »
Originally posted by TalonX
Why screw his team because he disobeyed?   He should have practiced and played the game.

Donating the game to charity would have conveyed a strong message.

Reschke taught his son a valuable lesson and one he (son) will never forget.

If he let the kid play he would have failed to teach this lesson.

It is as simple as that.

....and by the way, if you guys think that this teaching of lessons to your kids is an easy thing to do...THINK AGAIN!!

If a parent loves their child it breaks their hearts to have to disappoint them or make them feel bad in any way whatsoever.  In many cases it hurts the parents more.  No joke.  It is a plain and simple FACT.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain