Author Topic: Smack your kid and leave a mark? Prison for 5 years  (Read 1153 times)

Offline tce2506

• Copper Member
Smack your kid and leave a mark? Prison for 5 years
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2004, 01:58:37 PM »
Curval, you may want to ask a doctor about your opinion on using your hands. According to my doctor, hands are large and heavy(compared to a child's body) and transfer alot of energy to a child's body. This has been known to dislodge kidneys. It is far better to administer a sting with a wooden spoon or something similar, and not hard to test on yourself to make sure you're not hitting too hard. JMO

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2004, 02:14:17 PM »
Honestly, I simply "swat" my kid's backsides.  I do not spank them hard or regularly.

But, here's a little factoid for ya:

I attended boarding school in jolly old England back in the days when "Six of the best" (six whacks with a bamboo cane) was standard punnishment for everything from talking when you weren't supposed to, to running away from school.

We had two disciplinarians...the Headmaster and a science teacher...Mr. Johnson.

Mr. Johnson was diagnosed with early stages of Parkinson's disease while I was at that school and as a result was not allowed to use a cane on the kids.

The reason:

The school was afraid that due to his shaking he might miss and.......hit the children in the kidney area causing serious potential damage.

Wooden spoons are about the same diameter of a bamboo cane.

This condradicts your doctor's theory.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Punished the team or the child?
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2004, 02:24:53 PM »
No, I disagree......  You don't keep a kid from a team sport because they broke a rule?  Who said the punishment COULD ONLY BE APPLIED TO THE TEAM SPORT?

As I offered, there were plenty of other ways to "teach the lesson" rather than hurting the other children on the team.

Now, if the infraction were specifically related to the team sport, I'd agree with the punishment.

heheh

Gotta love debate.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2004, 02:31:22 PM »
The team still won, so the point is moot, but I do understand what you are saying.

Fact is, Reschke not only made his son admit his transgression to himself and his family, he also had to admit it to the TEAM.  Maybe the team learned a lesson too.  

If he is THAT good and is such an important part of the team it is possible that his teamates will do anything to ensure nothing like that happens again too.  I doubt they will have to though.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2004, 03:22:08 PM »
Curval what do you think; if I'd "whack" or "Swat" some fellow out in the city and he'd sue me would court order me to pay fees and fines?
Of course it would.

Now what if you'd do the same? Of course.

Why should childrens have worse protection by law than some adult?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2004, 03:34:54 PM »
Originally posted by Staga
Curval what do you think; if I'd "whack" or "Swat" some fellow out in the city and he'd sue me would court order me to pay fees and fines?
Of course it would.

Because most psychologists will tell you a child needs positive reinforcement combined with negative punishment.  You can't have one without the other.  Well, you can, but then you're gonna have one nasty azzed kid to deal with.

Naturally more positive reinforcement will mean you use less negative punishment since you're always rewarding them for good behavior. Kids learn fast.

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2004, 03:38:39 PM »
Originally posted by Staga
Of course it would.

Not sure I get this question....but if you are trying to compare the requirements of discipline for a parent over his children, to two adults interacting in public, I think you are way off.

If I saw an adult misbehave, I'd have no right to reprimand him.   I have an OBLIGATION to reprimand (punish even) my children for such transgression.

Analogy failed.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2004, 03:41:29 PM »
Children NEED discipline Staga.  It is a parents responsibility to provide that.

If they DON'T then that is why people are getting whacked or smacked for no reasons out in the streets.  It is why there is rampant problems in our eductaion systems with out of control children disrupting those who are trying to learn.

Look at it this way:

Why do you think that under contract law that a child cannot legally enter into a contract?  It is because under law he/she is not of sufficient age of responsibility to understand the implications of a contract.

An adult can enter into a legally binding contract.

That is a legal difference applicable to children vs adults.  Are you arguing then that a child who signs a contract that they do not understand should be legally bound by it?

You can't have it both ways.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Punished the team or the child?
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2004, 04:04:27 PM »
Originally posted by TalonX
No, I disagree......  You don't keep a kid from a team sport because they broke a rule?  Who said the punishment COULD ONLY BE APPLIED TO THE TEAM SPORT?

As I offered, there were plenty of other ways to "teach the lesson" rather than hurting the other children on the team.

Now, if the infraction were specifically related to the team sport, I'd agree with the punishment.

heheh

Gotta love debate.

So if when my son is older and he gets caught smokin pot or something similar when he knows its against not only my rule but the team rules he should be allowed to continue playing? Kinda screwy logic there Talon but I will run with it on this line of reasoning.

Think about this for a minute. A former college coach of mine (Sammy Queen head coach for Pelham High School here in Alabama) disciplined about 20 kids on his team for breaking team rules. BTW this is in Pelham, Alabama this past week. The kids were at a party and pictures were taken of them drinking and those kids were suspended from playing even though the team was out of playoff contention. http://www.al.com/hsfootball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/109904161468420.xml]Here is the link to the story.

I know this coach and know that even if they would have been going to the playoffs he would have suspended those same players but probably would have done it for a longer time frame.

The simple fact is that if you don't teach a kid the hard lessons early in life you get freaks for children who think that jsut because they didn't get punished as a child they should be able to do anything as an adult and get away with it.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2004, 04:55:30 PM »
One of the fallacies of modern parenting is treating young ones (below 5) as little adults.  Unfortunately for these kids their brain is still developing and they have difficulty understanding or grasping an adult viewpoint; which only exacerbates the situation.

Where a discussion will fail, a swift smack will engender instant understanding.

I agree with earlier posts though.. there is no excuse or need for damage - it is the quick and instant experience of pain that clues the child in.

The reason humans experience pain is to let us know when something is wrong - why should this not apply to children?

They're too soft by half thesedays.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2004, 06:08:52 PM »
Yeah... Why use brains when you can just *****-slap and say "Sorry but I had to do it" :)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2004, 06:34:05 PM »
Rip and I are on side on this one.
I also think that its easy to exagurate how much the law is involved in our family lives. The extremes are not any where near the norm.
Its rewarding to raise kids and if you put them first it seems to work out well

Allthough ***** will happen.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2004, 08:22:31 PM »
Staga, lets just make sure we are on the same page here.

Do you think these children look abused to you at all?

I wish I was my kids for heavens sake.

lol

:)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2004, 08:25:39 PM »
Nice looking bunch there Curval!

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2004, 09:42:14 PM »
My daughter is almost 13, my son is 9, I haven't had to lay a hand on either one of them in I can't even remember how long. When they were younger if they needed a swat to the ass, you can damn well be sure they got it. After age 3-4 or so it was no longer necessary, they understand the boundaries and what happens when they cross them. Raise a child right when they're younger and it's much easier when they get older.