Author Topic: What now, what 4 years from now?  (Read 114 times)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
What now, what 4 years from now?
« on: November 03, 2004, 10:29:43 AM »
Well, my guy didn’t win :( Nor did he get enough votes to even be mentioned as a factor :) Ah well, I feel comfortable with my choice compared to a lesser of two evils deal. However, I believe this offers opportunities for true the believers in both parties.

Had Kerry won, the Democrats could have continued being the party about nothing, trying always not to lose. Now, they may have to stand for something, develop positions and find a candidate that is a leader instead of a Washington hack.

As for the Republicans, well, the balls in your court. For eight years there will have been a Republican President and Congress. Like it or not, the ability to pass the buck to Clinton or “Dashole” or anybody else will require an extreme case of “liberal victim disorder” to pull off. As Airhead pointed out, no “Blame Kerry” opportunities now. The good thing is that the Republicans can now get full credit for any successes that are finally are given enough time to bare fruit. Based on Bush’s promises, and the assumption that he knew/knows what he’s doing with his various courses of action, here are my expectations. What are yours? What do you expect to see when the next election rolls around in four years?

Iraq: A functional and stable government (with some issues perhaps, but fairly good by developing nations standards) that is roughly democratic. A standard of living for the Iraqi people higher than pre-invasion, with greater human rights for all segments (women, various religious and tribal minorities, etc.) Significantly less violence than today (not expecting a complete end, but getting things under control to a much greater degree), and significantly less US military involvement (numbers, casualties, etc.). No significant increase in US spending to support Iraqi operations. And of course (as both candidates promised) no draft and an end of the backdoor draft. No mention of WMD because that’s not much of an issue for most people, I guess. Ends justify the means and all that, so let’s see how it ends.

Afghanistan: Same as above.

Terrorism: Bin Ladin brought to justice, Al Queda driven to insignificance, no successful major attack on US soil. As for an attack, terrorists are clever people and the vulnerabilities are many, so the extraordinary can always happen. But with the terrorists truly “on the run,” following our invasion of Iraq and fighting on foreign soil vs. US soil, the office of homeland security in place, tightened borders and security in general, there should be nothing that you could look at and say “that could have been easily prevented if only there had been funding or emphasis…” Return to the “roadmap.”

Economy: The bubble burst and 9/11 (not blaming Bush at all), Bush proposed controversial solutions that should start to bare fruit in a reasonable amount of time (unlike, say, the Chicago Bulls rebuilding period following the Jordan era). A stabilization to reversal of the deficit trend and solid job growth at reasonable wages. An effective policy in place to fix social security and Medicaid. Oil prices stabilized at around $30 bbl, and some serious funding for research to move to the next phase in vehicle propulsion.

Social: Real tort reform, but reform that balances the need to keep knowingly negligent companies and doctors, etc, in check. Improved educational opportunities (K through college). No Child Left Behind as something more than a slogan - for Bush it was the major feature of the last debate. No reappearance of the assault gun ban legislation. No use of the Patriot Act for non-terrorism related cases. I would personally like to see increased scrutiny of insurance and drug company policies, and fewer corporate and other tax loopholes, but I didn’t have major expectations for either party. The same goes for drug policy - neither party offered a progressive look at the issue.

Environment: I don’t really have any positive expectations. I believe some of what he has opposed needed to be opposed, but I have no doubt that when it comes down to it the shareholder will win out over the naturalist.

FWIW, I would have also posted this in the case of a Kerry win. He passively to actively supported the war in Iraq, and made a whole bunch of promises for a rosy future in all of these areas. IMO more hot air than anything else, but worth accountability.

Charon
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 10:43:37 AM by Charon »