Author Topic: HTC, please fix the inaccuracies on the Spitfire Mk IX  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
HTC, please fix the inaccuracies on the Spitfire Mk IX
« on: July 02, 2001, 01:46:00 PM »
The Spitfire Mk IX in AH has, by Pyro's admission, a Merlin 61.  This means that it is a Spitfire F.Mk IXc.  The Spitfire F.Mk IXc did not carry .50 cals.  The Spitfire F.Mk IXc did not carry rockets.

HTC, please remove the option for the Spitfire Mk IX to carry .50 cals and rockets.  Please rename the the "Spitfire Mk IX" to its accurate designation "Spitfire F.Mk IXc".

Please give the Spitfire F.Mk IXc an appropriate droptank, not the German 300 litre droptank that it has now.

No other aircraft in AH is allowed to get by with such inaccuracies.  The German equivilent of the Spitfire Mk IX that we have now would be a Bf109G-2 that is labeled as only a Bf109G and has the options to carry a 30mm cannon in addition to the standard Bf109G-2 options.

The community would never stand for that, why should it so passively accept the inaccuracies of the Spitfire Mk IX?

Like with the Bf109G series, there are many versions of the Spitfire Mk IX series.  Like the Bf109G series in AH, the Spitfire Mk IX series should be properly modeled.

Thanks.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Karnak ]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2001, 03:31:00 PM »
I aggree with you as you know. But to say the comunity is being passive about this is a crock. Post the info. Lots of us will reply and enhance it. This will be done.
It is no chore for you and I to keep popping up spit IX threads and pleasently discuss the differences with Funked and Nashwan till the end of the world if need be. We enjoy it.
The spits will be rationalized. Take heart!
And the spit vb will have to lose its -g carb metal control surffasess and about 10 mph when they do!

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
I thought the SpitVb's carb was fixed so it was air pressure driven rather than gravity fed?
-SW

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2001, 04:11:00 PM »
Pongo,

You are, to some extent, correct.  The fact is that the German aircraft fans are much, much noisier than the RAF aircraft fans.

The reason I posted this is because of what you and FunkedUp were posting in the Aircraft & Vehicles forum.  The thing is, even there, only a small core of people were supporting our position.  Many were mocking it or using the existance of a Spitfire thread to slam Spits and call Spit fans names.

I wanted to get it into the more commonly viewed General Forum.

SWulfe,

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

As I understand it, historically, there were three methods used on Spitfire MkV carbs.  One was the simple float carb, which cut out under negative Gs.  Another was a modification of that which would delay the cut out allowing for limited negative Gs.  Last was a pressure driven carb that eliminated the negative G fuel starvation.

In AH we have the third system modeled on our Spitfire Mk Vb.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2001, 04:19:00 PM »
Was a MK IX with a Merlin 61 ever built with an "e" wing?

For what its worth according to Janes, "Ultimately MK. IX versions were adapted to take the new "E" wing with an armament of two 20mm cannon and two .50 inch machine guns

Shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
are you sure about the 300 L drop tank. My comp is in the shop still so I can not go and check, but I'm sure the drop tank on the spit is 150 L's. As I can not check right now, I could be wrong.

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
I don't think any production variants of the F IX ever had the E guns There were a great many experimental weapon configs, so prototypes may have had such a configuration.

I found this on another site:
According to the official Pilot's Notes (3rd edition, 1946):

"INTRODUCTION
1.(i) The variants of the Spitfire IX,XI and XVI are distinguished by prefix letters denoting the general operating altitude or role and the suffix letter (e) is used where .5-inch guns replace .303-inch guns. The aircraft are all essentially similar, but the following table shows the main features that give the various versions their distinguishing letters:
F IX      Merlin 61; 63 or 63A; two 20-mm. and four .303-in. guns.
LF IX     Merlin 66; two 20-mm. and four .303-in. guns.
LF IX (e) Merlin 66; two 20-mm. and two .5-in. guns.
HF IX     Merlin 70; two 20-mm. and four .303-in. guns.
HF IX (e) Merlin 70; two 20-mm. and two .5-in. guns.
PR XI     Merlin 61; 63, 63A or 70.
F XVI     Merlin 266; two 20-mm. and two .5-in. guns.
(ii) Merlin 61 and 63 engines have S.U.float-type carburettors, but on Merlin 66, 70 and 266 engines these are replaced by Bendix-Stromberg injection carburettors.
(iii) All these marks of aircraft are fitted with Rotol 4-bladed hydraulic propellers and on the majority of aircraft the wing tips are clipped http://folk.uio.no/hungnes/avia/spitfire/mkixvar.htm
So according to the offical pilot's notes, the F IX never had 50 cal guns fitted.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2001, 09:31:00 PM »
Karnak, F.IXc is a non-existant designation - since the Spitfire F.IX only ever had the "C wing" armament, there was obviously no need to designate it with the "c" - I have never seen this designation used.

However, the Spitfire VC in AH should be (re)named as such. And it should have the 30gal slipper tank and 2x250lb underwing bomb options. Oh, and the blanked-off cannon stubs need to be added to the 3d model.  :)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2001, 03:02:00 AM »
Karnak, we may be more noisy, but look where it has gotten us.

No changes, and all suggestions made are labelled whines. Even if they're based on numbers - check the roll rate thread  :).

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2001, 03:47:00 AM »
Ya lets blame it on the LW fans.
snore

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2001, 11:09:00 AM »
I didn't mean it in that fasion.  I was saying that it was good that the Luftwaffe fans were noiser.

We RAF fans need to speak up more, I think.

StSanta,

You are right about the roll rate.

However I seem to recall a poll that Pyro conducted in which he asked which new aircraft were desired.  There were 3 German aircraft on that list along with 2 British, 3 American, 2 Russian and 1 Japanese.  In 1.06 all 3 German aircraft from that list, even the Fw190F-8, were added along with 1 of the British aircraft, the Tempest Mk V.  No other aircraft from that list has been added.

Your noisyness has gotten you guys quite a few aircraft.

Sure, there are issues with them and there are many others from your list left to do, but those two things hardly set you apart from the fans of other aircraft.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline samu1

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.sammu01.clara.net
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
Right on my spitty brothers,
The LW's loudness has gotten them noticed by HTC and has gotten them many of the A/C they desire, so my fellow RAF guys, lets crank up the volume and get our $30's worth  :).