Author Topic: Attack planes, Do we allow them?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Attack planes, Do we allow them?
« on: November 09, 2004, 02:59:40 PM »
Here's the forum to voice your opinion....

I was approached by one of the players with the proposal to allow the use of any planes listed as attack planes...  We currently only allow planes listed as fighters, but E/KoTH is an event hosted for the players' enjoyment.  That being said, I'd like you all to put in a vote (For/Against), and a brief reason for your vote.

We'll do whatever the populace dictates... It's YOUR event! :aok

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »
I am for it,  if there is a rule to where you are not allowed to use any gunner slots, only the Pilot / cockpit guns available
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 08:18:15 AM »
Aye!

what TC said

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 10:18:34 AM »
I'm all for it.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Lord RedHwk

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bbde.net
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 07:15:07 PM »
Im in.  Give him his Val ;) I agree with the "cockpit guns only" scenario.  Last thing I need is to saddle on someone and see tracers from front...lol

RedHwk

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 07:22:54 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
I am for it,  if there is a rule to where you are not allowed to use any gunner slots, only the Pilot / cockpit guns available

There is currently no way for a CM to restrict available position in any Air Frame...

I'll reserve my personal opinion until there is more discussion...

Offline Jish102

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 01:56:16 PM »
I'm in.:)
MA: Irish
71 Sqn

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 10:41:14 AM »
bigmax, i think pilots flying the KOTH are mature enough to control themself not to man gunner positions.

besides its pertty ez to tell if you are being shot at from a gunner position, especialy rom planes like the A20 Val or Stuka :)

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 10:52:21 PM »
I remember a KOTH a long time ago when we flew Bf-110's.  The CM had everybody shoot off all their rear ammo, though how he could be sure it was all gone, save for joining as a gunner, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm for it, mostly.  Planes like D3A Vals and SBD's were used as fighters sometimes, and I've even read of Stukas getting into dogfights/vulches with their forward guns.  On the other hand, having TBM's or Boston III's fight each other seems silly.

MRPLUTO

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 03:25:52 PM »
i think any plane is fine for koth..(excpet 262's)..heheh i hate chasing

infact..who cares..let them man the guns..this means they cannot do evasives whiel firing...sounds like a fair balance to me..

fun as hell too

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 12:03:19 PM »
Seems that there is no real opposition...

My only concern is this, from a CM's perspective:
I have no way to determine "IF" someone was their different gun positions.  Therefore, I think it would be best if we didn't put any stipulations against being able to use them.  Also, it would head off any people claiming a win was illegal.

My thought is to keep the rules as simple as possible.  If we allow the plane type, then you should be able to utilize every feature of the plane.

Is that agreeable to all?  & I haven't been able to discuss it with Gremlin yet, so I do want to get his thoughts before we make a policy shift. :aok

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 12:32:36 PM »
I think sitting in a gunner position and sniping at people totally defeats the purpose of KOTH.  I'd like to see attack planes available, but there's no way you should be able to use the gunner positions.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 01:49:03 PM »
stang..but if someone jumps to there guns..there plane stops making evasives....well rudder turns only..seems like a fair trade..

I mean..what plane do you feel comfortable enuff to battle in the rear guns?..Hell they are all pea shooters..

I would rather have a guy jump to his rear guns them make evasives...Easy pickens: )

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 11:12:04 PM »
Bigmax...we did this before back when i used to play.
Just have everyone merely jump into their secondary guns and shoot them untily they are dry. Doesn't take long on most planes and many people will dump them. Should 1 not. He/she should be booted or fight restarted.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 12:54:40 PM »
Originally posted by Wadke
Just have everyone merely jump into their secondary guns and shoot them untily they are dry. Doesn't take long on most planes and many people will dump them. Should 1 not. He/she should be booted or fight restarted.

All are good points/ideas...  But all of them rely are completely unenforcable and something I, as CM, can't check easily, and enforcement of any possible enfraction becomes one player's word against the other's.

As your host, a broken rule MUST be obvious to everyone watching or it makes for many disgruntled players, and people would leave KoTH...  I have to do everything possible to make sure that doesn't happen...

I tend to agree that I'd prefer that guns not be manned, but it opens a HUGE can-o-worms from a CMing perspective.  Hosts must be able to make an "objective" decision vice a subjective one.

As a consession, perhaps we mandate that ALL players turn tracers "ON" for that round so that everyone can see "IF" other gun positions are used?  That would probably work.

Thoughts?