Author Topic: New worm, careful  (Read 449 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
New worm, careful
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 10:50:07 PM »
Originally posted by soda72
IF Microsoft doesn't release it's source .. they will fall behind eventually...

they are already falling behind LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
New worm, careful
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 10:56:18 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
<--- loves worm and virus writers.... sells mah more firewalls :D

Which is why. Be I right or wrong I have long suspected some of the people writing some of these things are somehow connected to the very people developing software to stop it.

Who stands the most to gain with these things in existance?

Would it be in the best interests of the firewall/anti virus developers for these things to go away?

Like Jessie Jackson.

Soon as the problem goes away they are out of a job.

And considering the corperate scandals and other underhanded dealings that keep getting exposed.
I would hardly put it past them
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
New worm, careful
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 03:30:12 AM »
I use the latest antivirus/firewall products from http://www.trendmicro.com and never have an ounce of trouble. I get notified of lots of hacking attempts though.

Speaking of emails from Paypal, there's another scam the hackers are trying. And that is to send an email purporting to come from eBay or PayPal, informing you that you must visit a certain site to revalidate your account details. Tomato got one of these mails (the eBay version), and eBay confirmed that it IS a hoax. I can only guess that the hackers are doing the same thing with Paypal.

These attempts are known as "phishing"! One telltale sign is that the email comes addressed anonymously to "Dear Customer" instead of addressing you by name. Delete these emails!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
New worm, careful
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 04:18:10 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
I R paranoid

Nah, I've met firewall developers, they don't need to. They're to busy getting the defences organised, plus they don't have the resources to research MS bugs, plus the legal implications are far far to dangerous.

Beetle: if phishing scams are getting through then you still aren't using the right stuff ;) I prefer mcafee corporate products for antivirus, but the Netscreen firewalls we do use Trend Micro so it provides a nice diversity between gateway and desktop.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
New worm, careful
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 05:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Beetle: if phishing scams are getting through then you still aren't using the right stuff  
No, it's OK. I forgot to mention that the "ebay" phishing scam mail was rooted to my Yahoo bulk mail folder - out of harm's way. I only noticed it when doing a clear out.