Author Topic: Here I go with my evil tips and trick's (F4U-1D)  (Read 912 times)

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
Here I go with my evil tips and trick's (F4U-1D)
« on: August 16, 2000, 03:17:00 PM »
Well I continue with my planes try, to see wich one will be my favorite plane of AH.
I tried the  spit's, the pony, now go with the corsair. IMHO this is one of the hardest planes to fly  .
when slow he shakes like a snake (I cant aim) I think is too sensitive not like spits that have a very smoth fly , when fast lose E very quick .

ok F4U-1D experts can u give some evil tips and tricks to fly this snake?

tnx's for any help or comments  

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2000, 05:19:00 PM »
I hope you try the 190A8 soon  

Definitely not a newbie plane, but when you master it you will rule the sky in any plane  

give it a try...you know I'll help you with it  

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2000, 10:58:00 AM »
yeah thanks RAM when I see ya I will yield you to have some help, like you allways do  

sure now Im with alies planes them I go with the luftwaffe ones, I now this planes rules but are to hard to fly too  
and I now that you're one of the finest luftwaffe pilots and I will find you
thanks

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2000, 01:07:00 PM »
Don't have many tricks to give you with the F4U, but the one I know that always gets me is : Hide your E.  The F4U is a big heavy plane and can handle very well at high speed.  Guys like Torque have this ability to get it going very fast and hide a lot of E in speed.  With 450+mph the F4U can do some amazing conversion of that into alt or to egress.  It's hard to tell the difference on a incoming con between 300mph and 450mph sometimes depending on angles.  It's a huge difference in E though.

Nothing is worse than seeing a low F4U coming, thinking "damn, he's low, this'll be easy" then watching that F4U pull up gently, blow right through your altitude and keep on going skyward".  They seem to be able to do that with frightening effiency.  <S> to Torque for teaching me this lesson once or twice.

Soda
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2000, 07:59:00 PM »
For me speed and smoothness is the key to winning.  The fights I win are fast.. above 350 and smooth on the stick.  E is too precious and a rough stick will slow you down fast.  I have had many an opponant go "nice cannons" heh, my 1D doesn't have cannons but a burst of 6 .50s at convergence on a really high speed pass does wonders to rip enemy apart.
When I win I have nevered turned more than 45-90 degrees with the enema. Anymore than that spells death in a hurry.  
Keep Gs down to 3 or less unless going for the kill shot.  Then I will pull a hard snap but be warned this will kill your speed and if you miss count on the fact the other guy can gain advantage.
Never fight without the advantage.
Example:  I always takeoff with 100% fuel and fly from a farther field to try to ensure that I have some alt going into the fight.  The other day I take off from A25 heading S to get some alt.  I look up and back and there is a dot. I set speed to 200 and climb S.  The dot turns into a 109.  Bad news for me climbing out.  I level abit and try to keep heading away knowing I have the better fuel state for a long drawn out ordeal. I grab a tad of alt from time to time trying to even out the tables.  Finally 109 gets tired and I grab like mad.  I come co-alt and think this is close enough. I have burnt my fuel down to a good 50%. Reverse and find the 109.  He is slighty hi but I have some speed now and feel a bit safer.  The fight lasted a good bit before he finally nailed me. If I had full advantage I believe I coulda pulled it out : )

Sum it up:
1. Stay very FAST
2. Stay HIGH
3. Never turn more than 90 degrees with enema
4. Don't fight without advantage
5. Stay SMOOTH!

S!
Rocket

------------------

The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

www.reddragons.de

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2000, 09:46:00 AM »
good tips
tnx guys  

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2000, 10:50:00 AM »
terra, fly iot just like i showeed the in the P-51. Cant go wrong. remeber that it has a much better roll rate than the pony too.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2000, 11:42:00 AM »
good ammo
 I trying to do that but the hog looks like lose E quickly tham pony
Im wrong???? and shakes more too   and need a lot of trim more tham pony and without rudder pedals is to hard to drive this plane any advice about that??? sure buy a rudder but one less expensive solution while I have some money to buy that? Im using the A S D keys but I need this hand too, for the view keys   (numpad)so any tip there about a better configuration I mean one that I dont now   ">

[This message has been edited by terracota (edited 08-21-2000).]

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2000, 01:03:00 AM »
To make things easier for me I remapped my look up key to the R key.  Nothing is assigned to it in the stock setup. With my hat and hitting R I have full views without moving my hand near as much. This may prove helpful with you using your rudders on the keyboard. (Unless you don't have a hat either). If you don't have a hat I really suggest a stick with a hat and twist for rudders. These are fairly cheap and the twist rudder really helps alot! And you know by now that the #1 rule to fighting is If you lose sight you lose fight.  The better the hat the better the views the better the views the more you win : )

S!
Rocket

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2000, 10:11:00 AM »
No rocket no HAT  
well I think is time to buy my equipment  
I will look for a good joystick now, Im flying with a 2 buttons joystick  , and is really hard to drive just with a 2 but joy
and without rudder pedals
anyway thx for the help

S!

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2000, 11:32:00 AM »
A MUST read for any F4U fan is this one:

"Whisteling Death" Fletchmans guide to fly the F4U

I learned a lot from this one ..

Another thing with the F4U is that most people underestimate it#s turn capabilities. It can turn with most fighters in AH although never for a prolonged period. Use of Flaps in the turn decrease the turnradius significantly. Even tho i prefere never to get THAT slow  

DW6