Author Topic: Nova "Great Escape"  (Read 597 times)

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 06:40:45 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35

...if you are going to rip the movie version of the Great Escape, then you might as well rip "The Battle of Britain" where they did the same thing, changing names, compressing stories to fit the film etc etc.

Dan/Slack

Ironically enough the Battle of Britian was fought by American pilots, for the most part, although the mess cooks, porters and cleaning people were British.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 06:55:54 PM »
LOL ok now I believe ya.  We Americans fought the Battle of Britain for the British?

Seems last I checked there were 7 Americans who are acknowledged to have flown in the B of B, with a few more who were flying with the RCAF.

Off the top the 7 Yanks in the RAF during the Battle were

Billy Fiske, Andy Mamendoff, Shorty Keogh, Red Tobin, Art Donahue, Sam Leckrone and Carl Davis.

Either you don't have a  clue or I have to quit biting on that nice shiny hook :)

Dan/Slack

Originally posted by Airhead
Ironically enough the Battle of Britian was fought by American pilots, for the most part, although the mess cooks, porters and cleaning people were British.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2004, 11:56:12 PM »

Where did that notion come from Airhead? Having spent a good deal of time corresponding with and meeting former RAF Spit pilots, .

You base your comment on what exactly?

Dan/Slack

Airhead corresponds with a lumberjack (his mom) for the info, she ain't no liar....

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 01:08:45 AM »
Originally posted by Airhead
Tinpot, I have two Mel Gibson classics- "Braveheart" and "The Patriot"- on DVD. I watch them every day to remind myself how brutally England treated those peoples they conquered, then I thank God America threw off the yoke of British oppression.

In Braveheart, the battle of Sterling Bridge was depicted without the bridge.  This puts the movie into total disripute.  

If it wasn't for Sophie Marceau, the movie would have no redeeming social or historical significance whatsoever.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Fuzzy

• Copper Member
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2004, 02:20:49 AM »

Off the top the 7 Yanks in the RAF during the Battle were

Billy Fiske, Andy Mamendoff, Shorty Keogh, Red Tobin, Art Donahue, Sam Leckrone and Carl Davis.

Dan/Slack

You mistakenly excluded Ben Affleck from your list!!!

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2004, 05:32:11 AM »
I love PBS, and when I grow up I'm going to marry it.

Was an interesting show. Prison escapes are a great showcase for how a group of minds can redifine what's imposible.

Another even more fantastic WWII escape that pbs did a show on was where these pows had secretly built a glider and planed to fly it off of the roof of the prison. They were liberated before they had an oportunity to use it. They never got to prove that it worked. So on the show they got some of the old guys back together and built a replica of the glider and flew it!

Offline Tinpot

• Copper Member
Ok
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 05:53:01 AM »
I was slightly wrong.

Nevertheless you'd think that the Americans won the war on their own if you got all your history from Hollywood.

On Holiday in SD in 99 I met a guy who more or less ordered me to thank the USA for the whole outcome of the war and my freedom! That grates a bit. My Grandparents and Parents would have a different view as would the thousands of other people from the commonwealth nations and Europe who bled themselves white fighting the Germans while the USA decided whether or not to Join in and Russia decided which side to fight with then betray!.

Its just an opinion! and I'm entitled to it!

Offline Tinpot

• Copper Member
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 05:54:15 AM »
Sophie Marceau is a total babe though.

( but you stateside Franco phobes...... she's French! lol )

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2004, 06:28:56 AM »
Originally posted by Tinpot
...she's French! lol  

Is that why she speaks with that outrageous accent, you silly english pig dog?  I fart in your general direction, your mother was a hamster and your father smelles of elderberries!
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Blue2

• Zinc Member
Run away run away
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2004, 06:34:08 AM »
:D

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2004, 09:43:42 AM »
It's more fun Brit bashing than French bashing cause less is lost in the translation.

Any Germans in the house? :D

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2004, 10:09:37 AM »
Why do the evil guys in films have british accents.

Does this mean the new BoB movie with Tom Cruise will be an american saving Britain from the British?:confused: :confused:    aaiiiiiiieeeeeee!!!  My brain hurts!
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Nova "Great Escape"
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2004, 05:42:57 PM »
Originally posted by thrila
Why do the evil guys in films have british accents.

Because the English are inherantly evil.