Author Topic: Do the french charge us money to maintain the graves at Normandy???  (Read 2979 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Do the french charge us money to maintain the graves at Normandy???
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 01:13:27 PM »
[I would say that the answer to your question is NO, the french do not charge us to maintain our cemeteraries, or lease the land to us.

Bohdi,

Thanks, thats interesting.  So the land the cemetery is remains french property?  They allow us to site the monument there free of charge and the US is responsible for maintainence?

Or did we buy the ground?

Thanks,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 01:15:50 PM »
Originally posted by parker00
Not much for sticking up for the French but if it wasn't for them, would we be who we are today. They are the ones who helped us win our independance.

68Parker

INCOMING!!!!!!!!

True, but nevertheless....DUCK.  ;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2004, 01:24:44 PM »
You Americans are really turning stones to find a argument to bash a Europe country nowadays aint you?

The hate against Europe seems to have increased after this last election...

Enjoying your Freedom Fries AkWabbi`t? :rolleyes:
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 01:25:58 PM »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by parker00
Not much for sticking up for the French but if it wasn't for them, would we be who we are today. They are the ones who helped us win our independance.

68Parker
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think thats an interesting issue worth discussing, but I think it deserves its own, separate thread.

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline airguard

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.me109.net
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2004, 01:29:48 PM »
Originally posted by AKWabbit
Actually I'd prefer not to assume its true.  I found the claim incredulous.   Not finding any Google reference suggests its not, but before I call BS I'd like to know I'm on solid ground.

I don't like the french, but the one classy thing I thought they did was provide this monument to all the thousands of American boys that died on their beaches trying to liberate their country.  While individual people tend to forget the sacrifices others have made for them, institutions tend to have a longer memory.    However, if their making a profit off it, it sorta make that argument seem rediculous.

Thanks,
Wab

yeah if it was not for the USA we woulda been speaken German all of us, and USA woulda have to bargin with them after you  beat the Japanese (if). There is no way in hell USA coulda stayed out of that war anyway. And it is a pity too see how some is using the fact that thousands of american soldiers died in Europe that way. They was killed because they belived in freedom not for you guys to use it against Europeans 50 years later.
While you liberated the French coast you libereated yourselve also, dont forget that.

What you guys is forgeting is that you did not have much or none civilian losses in that war, what if hitler woulda won the european mainland and England. He woulda been in the position to manufacture nuklear weapons too and that woulda been nasty.

You are slashing the same thing over and over again just to remind us of how much we need you, and yes we need you Americans. But you need us Europeans too, we are the only part of the world that have the same way of life, but some of you guys seems to forget that.

Please could the stupid Euro vs USA soon stop ?
I am a Norwegian eating my fish, and still let my wife mess me around in stupid shops...

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2004, 01:30:42 PM »
Originally posted by Maniac
You Americans are really turning stones to find a argument to bash a Europe country nowadays aint you?

The hate against Europe seems to have increased after this last election...

Enjoying your Freedom Fries AkWabbi`t? :rolleyes:

Mainac,

You aren't terribly bright are you?  Thanks for your input.

:rolleyes:,
Wab

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 01:36:02 PM »
Originally posted by AKWabbit
Bohdi,

Thanks, thats interesting.  So the land the cemetery is remains french property?  They allow us to site the monument there free of charge and the US is responsible for maintainence?

Or did we buy the ground?

Thanks,
Wab

the ground is considered US soil, and it was given, or I prefer to think paid for... sadly it was with their blood.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 08:42:15 PM »
I recently watched a documentery about the french grounds keepers at the US War Cemetary in Normandy.
Regardless of exactly who's tax dollars pay these men, what they do, they do for the US, and out of respect for the young men who gave their lives on French soil.
It really came across that these guys didn't just consider their jobs as 'work', to them it was obviously a great honour to be entrusted with the upkeep of the last resting place of so many American soldiers.

I guess what I am trying to say is that no matter wether it is the French people, or the American people who pay their wages, the men who look after the cemetary do an exceptional job, and they are fully aware, and certainly grateful and respectful of the sacrifices made by those who rest at their feet.

There are several Australian War Cemetaries around the world, (even a couple in France) and every single one of them has it's upkeep payed for by the Australian Govt.....regardless of where they fell, those men were fighting for Australia, just as the men who fell at Normandy, although there to free the French, were fighting for America.

It would be a bit of a disgrace if our governments didn't pay upkeep on the foreign resting places of our fallen I feel, sort of an ultimate betrayal of sorts.

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 08:56:05 PM »
I would complain IF:

The US Govt didn't pay to upkeep if the French didn't upkeep the site.

Or if the French want to get rid of the memorial.

Theres graves, the American flag, the monument, and upkeep at the site. If it was to be defaced, destroyed, or wanted to be rid of, then I bet there would be a lot of unhappy people.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 10:48:14 PM »
Originally posted by Airhead
"I don't like the french, but the one classy thing I thought they did was provide this monument to all the thousands of American boys that died on their beaches trying to liberate their country. While individual people tend to forget the sacrifices others have made for them, institutions tend to have a longer memory."

Ah...good, good...now we're getting to the moral indignation part.
Thanks for hurrying it up for me Wab.

Now get in here, Bodhi, Nubob and Mazz- we have a short week  so we need to get this pigpile done by Thursday..

Does this look like French bashing to you, Airhead?

Originally posted by Neubob
Personally, I don't harbor resentment. I've spent enough time in France(mostly in the south) to know that, like all places, the stereotypes don't hold out for too long. There's good in every group of people, enough of it to warrant a second, third and fourth chance to redeem the mistakes of the past.

This is the way I would want to be treated...

If you need to instigate, at least do it with real bait.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2004, 12:49:53 AM »
Originally posted by Airhead
What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter if it's true or not- this Thread will deterorate into a French-bashing one within twenty posts.

Hell thats not hard.
all you gotta do is start a thread titled" France" for that to happen
LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 01:14:22 AM »
Originally posted by Neubob
Does this look like French bashing to you, Airhead?

If you need to instigate, at least do it with real bait.

Nah Neubob, it looks like the villagers dropped their pitchforks and rakes, doused their torches and went home to their hovels. Whatever, nine out of ten threads that start out this way quickly degenerate into a French bashing fest, if this one didn't then that's a good thing and a tribute to Wab for being genuine in his question and not just opening the doors to another one of "those" Threads.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2004, 02:16:23 AM »
It's managed by the  "American Battle Monument Comission" and owned by the USA.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2004, 03:25:29 AM »
Just a tad curious, are there cemeteries in America for the French soldiers and sailors, who died helping to gain independence from Great Britain?

Must be something around Yorktown, no?

Offline ET

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2004, 04:06:11 AM »
For years I have watch the ceremony's on TV with the American graves in the background. Where are the British and Canadien cemetary's located and do they show the ceremony's with their graves in the background on British and Canadadien TV ?