Author Topic: Not new, but not good at combat flying  (Read 657 times)

Offline falcon86

• Zinc Member
Not new, but not good at combat flying
« on: January 06, 2002, 07:48:00 PM »
I am not new at Aceshigh, but sometimes, it seems like everybody can always shake me when Im on their tail, and they end up on my tail!They always out maneuver me. If somone could give me some hints, or teach me some maneuvers, I am sure I could use it, and I would appreciate it  ;)  rcflyer@midsouth.rr.com    thanks

Offline Asmodan

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.raf303.org
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2002, 03:55:00 AM »
Me to so there are 2 of us that need training...

Im a but rusty after 3 mounths brake... and can use some training too. !

Offline xxbow

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2002, 07:58:00 AM »
Anyone can give helpful tips on the message board. But the best advice is to find someone good, visit them and have them show you. Worked for me. But seeing as that might be hard for some folk. Get someone to spar with you in the training arena. That is always a big help. Just telling you how a person flies wont do it. Its like reading a golf magazine. I read a ton and i still sucked, but when i took lessons i got better.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2002, 09:55:00 AM »
Ghosth is very good...
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Beach

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2002, 11:15:00 AM »
Dont follow me around for fighter tips, lol two years playin and still the only way i get a safe langing is when I forget to grab a DT and have to get off runway befor taking off.lol. guess i could use some help too.
BeachS

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2002, 11:25:00 AM »
Hey Beach, your email bounced, email me please so I can get the orders out to ya:

ripsnort@aceshighcs.com

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2002, 01:00:00 PM »
I guess it depends on how much you care to know.
Some of the places to start -- Check the AH training links.
Heck, take a look at Andy Bush's articles on simhq.com (or his comments here).
You might also find useful some of the pages for WarBirds.  I remember a long time ago reading Fletchman's description of energy fighting; if you don't want to read Shaw, that's a little more lightweight.
(who's Shaw you ask?  Someone will be along to post the link to order his book from Amazon).

Anyway, the problem you describe might be helped by a study of the difference between "lead pursuit" and "lag pursuit".  Type those terms into a search engine and see what you turn up.

First though, it's time to remember your high school physics: potential energy and kinetic energy.  The faster you go, the more KE you have (and it's something like a function of the square of the velocity, so the energy difference between 100 and 200 mph isn't as much as 300 and 350).  The higher you are, the more PE you have.
Second, think of your plane: it has an engine that generates energy (excess power) for you (if it's a prop, the faster it goes, the less power it generates), and it has wings that generate lift (and, generally speaking, the more lift, the more induced drag).  Again, generally speaking, the more lift you generate, the more energy you retain in turns, but the more induced drag you generate, which often translates into a lower top speed.

what this means:
If you keep lining up for a shot on a bogey of similar performance, you will burn energy faster.  A smart bogey can either (A) wait till you're well below maneuvering speed and reverse on your wallowing ass; or (B) perform some energy-efficient maneuver that takes advantage of your tendency to pull lead, draining you of energy and putting him in your rear quarter.

For example the one I use too much at the moment is the following sort of rolling scissors:
A bandit comes on my six and starts pulling lead.  I effectively perform a large looping barrel roll through the sky.  This huge corkscrew burns little energy, and lets me cover less distance at the same speed than if I had flown straight.
The bandit pulls lead, burns energy, and eventually sees me slide in behind him, with higher energy (=more potential for maneuvering) and a modest complement of cannons.
---

To boil it down for you even more:
Don't pull for a shot at every waking instant.  Hang back, follow behind the bogey, until the moment is right; then convert for the shot.

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2002, 12:15:31 PM »
im in the Main Arena almost all the time. just private me or somethin and i'll be glad to go over to the TA and help ya out.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2002, 10:27:04 PM »
guys, he is a H2H only flyer. I tried to get with him the other night but for whatever reason I CAN never join a H2H session. I would join his and it would freeze my machine and then host connection lost. His machine would crash to desktop.  Can someone get with him in a H2H?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2002, 09:05:05 PM »
i usually go into H2H every night and host a room. just hop in there and i'll be glad to help ya out:)

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2002, 03:27:19 PM »
Salmon.....The other pink meat! - Pimpjoe

lmao :)
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2002, 06:44:56 PM »
:D

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
Helpful info
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2002, 07:29:45 PM »
Falcon

Dinger has said it right! Lag pursuit!

Read up on what lag pursuit is and what it accomplishes. Then go on-line with one of the very good AH instructors and ask specifically for help in flying lag pursuit behind a hard maneuvering adverary. Concentrate on yo-yos, management of angle off, and lift vector control.

Second point: view management. Get the AH instructor to teach you what view to use and when to use it. BFM in AH is as much skill in view management as it is skill in BFM.

Good luck!

Andy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2002, 07:31:52 PM by Andy Bush »

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2002, 02:14:37 PM »
Falcon:
Yeah what has been posted is useful. And also, there is a certain amount of finesse which you must have as well. If you are too ham fisted with your controls, you will be out of control and miss opptys.
There is also the issue of throttle control. You shouldn't dive full bore onto an nme and expect him to hold still; he will most likely see you and simply change direction. If that happens, he will be out of your line of fire and you will blow past him. He then can simply turn onto your six and turn the tables on you.
Knowing the controls is important, particularly the trim controls on climbs and turns (aileron, Rudder and elevators).
Make use of filming your fights. You can learn from wins and losses to make yourself better.
Finally, give it time and try not to expect it all to come together at once. ;)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2002, 03:24:40 PM »
Any books written by Robert Shaw on ACM prove helpful. I suggest viewing films as well.

I won't lecture you on plane sets, but maybe your style of fighting is not suited for the type of plane you're flying?

I, for example, couldn't kill anything but myself in a Hellcat, but I learned the Hog and Pony, and they suit me just fine
(I disengage with dignity!)

Don't ask me for ACM advice, I'm not that good! :) Good luck!

Gainsie