Author Topic: Title:"My new X52...or how to waste $130.00"  (Read 1657 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Title:"My new X52...or how to waste $130.00"
« on: November 24, 2004, 07:43:40 PM »
I am jaded. After years of using the best stick ever created by mortal men..the MICROSOFT FORCE FEEDBACK2 JOYSTICK (Spelled in caps and full because it deserves that respect) no other joystick comes close.

Ive tried CH Fighter stick, and the new X52....chintzy, plastic-y, wobbly crap. The spring tension is almost non existant. Its pretty...and if I ever need an attractive nightlight I know what to use. But it flops around like a latex dildo on a ball-point pen spring, being held by a "queereye" fella.  

Im not so pissed I wasted 130 bucks as I am there are no alternatives out there. For those of you who used the FFB you know what I mean. For you others, its best you never knew what you missed.

If they spent a few more pennies on a stiffer spring and saved a few on that gay "safety lid" for the top trigger, it might have been better. Im hoping they have a mod kit to replace the spring so ill hang onto it. If nothing else I'll hang from the Christmas tree...it is pretty :)

~AoM~

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 07:46:00 PM »
So do you like it or not? :rolleyes:

:D

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 07:47:30 PM »
Yep the old MS sticks were the best affordable all in one joystick option.

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 07:58:40 PM »
The spring is very loose...but some prefer that.  You may want to try it for a few days, to see if you get used to it...takes time but its actually easier than a hard sprung stick.

On another note, I dont see any reason you couldnt replace the spring, it appears to be the same size as the X45...and Im sure with a little looking you could find a spring from a supplier that would fit perfectly.

P.S.  Dont ever get a CH Stick....the springs on those are only half as strong as the X52:eek:

Offline acetnt367th

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 08:37:46 PM »
Still use a ff2 microsoft stick - best I ever owned

Acetnt

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 08:47:27 PM »
i like ur analogy of the dildo on a pen spring lmao im gunna us that one.  But i have one question, How do u know what a dildo on a pen sprig looks like?:lol

Offline JB35

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 08:49:49 PM »
FiLth take a look at this stick , I dont have one as of yet cause I use the MSFFB2 like you ,  My only handicap is that Im a Lefty
, but I have been usin the MSFFB2 since 97 and hopefully Santa will drop this new stick by for X-Mas

http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/cyborgevoforce.html

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 08:55:39 PM »
I'm going to make my own joystick.

If any of you stop me, please say it was for a good reason.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline 6GunUSMC

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.fasteasynet.com
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 09:21:48 PM »
Originally posted by ALF
The spring is very loose...but some prefer that.  You may want to try it for a few days, to see if you get used to it...takes time but its actually easier than a hard sprung stick.

On another note, I dont see any reason you couldnt replace the spring, it appears to be the same size as the X45...and Im sure with a little looking you could find a spring from a supplier that would fit perfectly.

P.S.  Dont ever get a CH Stick....the springs on those are only half as strong as the X52:eek:

I only use CH... The only weak springs I ever found in a CH stick were in a used Flightstick Pro! you may have grabbed a bad one... it happens.  (I had  FFB2! - liked it too)

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 09:25:05 PM »
I went through 2 MS FF sticks and then to the FF2.  Had spiking problems with MS FF2 and a strange lack of response in AH.  Switched to a CH products Fighter stick and never looked back.  The change in spring tension took a little getting used.

Even learned how to program it, but haven't had a real need to.  I thought programming the gun camera to start when the trigger was pulled would be really cool.  Turns out, in AH (and any computer sim for that matter) it's not.  Setting the throttle for wep above 90% sounded cool too.  Nope on that one also.  I have considered programming the hat views (particularly the six oclock) to scan across a viewing area.   Have to see how that works out.

Switching to CH products was the best decision I ever made for a game controller.  I have no vested interest and am not an investor in CH products.  They advertise in EAA publications and produce industrial (i.e. high quality) products.

Regards,

Malta

Offline Zoldamite

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 10:02:50 PM »
Originally posted by JB35
FiLth take a look at this stick , I dont have one as of yet cause I use the MSFFB2 like you ,  My only handicap is that Im a Lefty
, but I have been usin the MSFFB2 since 97 and hopefully Santa will drop this new stick by for X-Mas

70 bucks for that? i have that stick and only pay 39 for it at bestbuy and then buy the 2 year warranty for the 4 joystick replacement

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 10:50:06 PM »
JB35 I looked at that one just before getting this one. It looks like it uses the same spring as mine has (x52). Take care of your FFb...love it...for one day, it too will leave you, as mine has me. Only when you come home excited from BestBuy, and try out the imposter the first time, will your head turn to the closet you store the old girl now...and you will weep.

PS Everything but the hat switch works still..but whats the old saying.."Lose sight....um..ya dead?

~AoM~

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 10:57:15 PM »
Originally posted by JB35

The stick does left or right  just like my Cyborg Gold 3D. Good stick {IMO}

Offline RTGorkle

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 02:56:50 AM »
Thrustmaster USB. $15. Bottom of the range. Feels just like my worn out MS PP2.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 04:54:23 AM »
I have never ussed  a force feed back stick but have owned  A saitek Cyborg and the X45

The Cyborg was the best stick for spring pressure and "feel" I have ever owned............its base buttons and throttle were a pain tho.

For me the spring on the X45 was always too stiff and adjustment thru small degrees of movement was "sticky" due to the frictional properties of the spring and cup assembly (even after lubrication and modification).

For me the best combination would have been an X45 with the lighter action of the cyborg........I hope thats what the X52 provides.

(still awaiting delivery)

Saitek have two force feed back sticks...........just dont get any thing that says "rumble" on it. I tried one of these it was a pulsed resistance feedback with totally no "feel" at all.

If I was  intio FFB then this would be worth a try.....

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/cyborg_evo_force.htm

.....actually Saitek in the UK are very good I am sure they would allow an exchange for a customer dissatisfied ........dunno about the US.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 05:00:10 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere