Author Topic: Exploding Drones  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Exploding Drones
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2004, 04:22:18 AM »
MachNix I think the autoclimb your refering to is actualy auto speed, alt-x. I found on the 24's I get alot more porpoising than 17's cause its trying to stabilize speed at 160mph so until its gets a constant 160mph its going to be adjusting the angle of attack. Up and down....up and down.

I fly level till about 200mph then use shift-x and then the buttons K and I to set my climb rate. When I do that I dont get all the stall horns and ups and downs like what happens while autospeed is trying to establish its speed. If alt-x isnt what your using then just look past this here response.

:)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Exploding Drones
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2004, 06:24:28 AM »
One thing I should mention is I never use auto-takeoff.  I take off manually and 'fly' the lead plane until it is safely above any trees or other obstacles (about 500-1000 feet), then hit the auto-level and reduce throttle to let the drones catch up.  I don't engage auto-climb or make any turns until they are formed.  Oh, and I never use flaps except on Lancasters sometimes.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Exploding Drones
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2004, 09:45:38 AM »
:rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
Exploding Drones
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2004, 10:07:23 AM »
Wolf14,  Yes I was referring to alt-x but it is called "AUTO PILOT CLIMB" in the Aces High Help even though I too think of it as "auto-speed".  After the porpoising, the alt-x speed settles to 139 mph indicated for a fully loaded B24 – 140 for lightly loaded.  (Use the E6B on the clipboard to get a digital reading of the speeds.)  And at 139 mph in a fully loaded B24 there is a slight stall horn.  But this is a little off the topic.  I only presented the info here hoping it would help HTC identify the problem.

Back on the topic, Flossy's method works.  If you try and climb out immediately after takeoff, you will lose the #2 drone.  Now why the #2 doesn't perform like the #3 is a mystery.  Is it a bug or by design?

MachNix

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
Exploding Drones
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2004, 10:42:44 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
6gun.

1. Drop the attitude if you wish to remain on this bbs.
HiTech

After reading this thread, I don't see any "attitude" different than any other thread where there is a legitimate difference of opinions.

If someone is pissed off at how the game performs, they should be encouraged to speak their mind, not discouraged.

We the Aces High customers, pay the bills for HiTech and his crew. As long as we don't get verbally and personally obusive on the boards, we should be allowed to speak freely.

And oftentimes, the only way to get through to the mangement is to start jumping up and down, screaming one's head off.

Offline acetnt367th

• Copper Member
Exploding Drones
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2004, 04:47:46 PM »
Originally posted by peterg2

And oftentimes, the only way to get through to the mangement is to start jumping up and down, screaming one's head off.

Is it that difficult to politely make request while maintaining your resolve? This is never the way to solve problems, often the emotion and anger leads to more conflict and very rarely a solution.

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
Exploding Drones
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2004, 08:08:18 PM »
Originally posted by acetnt367th
Is it that difficult to politely make request while maintaining your resolve? This is never the way to solve problems, often the emotion and anger leads to more conflict and very rarely a solution.

In general, most of the guys who post on the BB are quite polite in expressing their opinions. But, sometimes people get pretty frustrated with the game, especially when game features change, usually at no request of their own. And the squeaky wheel gets attention thing starts happening.

During the evolution of Aces, the gameplay has changed in significant ways. If one becomes a paying member after playing a certain version, make buddies online, and invests a considerable amount of time learning that particular version... some people get understandably upset when playability and features change. The trouble is, sometimes there is so much noise on the BB's that the management doesn't have the time to notice some issues and threads. So people can get frustrated and have a meltdown sometimes.

When I reach that point, it's time to shut the computer off. But, that's just me.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Exploding Drones
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2004, 05:23:57 AM »
I found out a real easy way of getting the drones to merge up with ya 300 yards after the runway.  When your plane takes off and lifts its wheels.  Just keep full throttle and put down 1 more notch of flaps then when the default is.  All drones will line up with ya very quickly especially the 2nd drone.  He won't lose out or drop off.  So far its worked for me 100%.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
Exploding Drones
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2004, 09:24:10 AM »
I use auto takeoff but i go level just as soon as it is safe to do so, then level plane and pull throttle way back until that last drone starts to settle it.

With this high fuel burn, on some maps there are some deep strat targets that require more than 75% (so 100%) fuel to get to and RTB.  I have even come close to landing dead stick.  Sad but true and depends on how the map maker laid out the strats.