Author Topic: I never knew Micheal Jordan had a brother...  (Read 723 times)

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
I never knew Micheal Jordan had a brother...
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 07:52:41 AM »
"bloated chicken **** war monger".  It sure looks to me like that was directed at grun.  By someone that obviously didn't read the article, at that.  It was a cheap shot.

But then... so is continually saluting soldiers as some attempt to overcome the lack of desire to serve in the millitary while offhandedly dismissing those on the boards that did.  It really is a subject that should be left alone by some.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2004, 10:57:44 AM »
Err... I must have missed that too (if that was directed at me).

I do have respect for those who serve(d).
I have none for those who sit on their chair at home and patronise us on what/how we should think.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2004, 11:04:46 AM »
Originally posted by deSelys
He'll probably tell you that he can't enlist because he needs a reinforced titanium soapbox....

ROFLMAO :aok

I love it when people who never served a day in their life get all war mongery.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2004, 11:16:28 AM »
Jordans service is only extra ordinary in contrast.
GH very nicely provides that contrast.

Offline firbal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2004, 11:50:17 AM »
I read the artical and the one thing I learned was that both Brothers came from a good family. Both went into differant fields but became great example to those around them.
I understand CSM Jordan staying with his troops till the mission is completed. I wish that I was younger and my body wasn't so broken down. I'd be back in the Army doing what I had trained for. AND DON'T ANY OF YOU CALL ME A WARHAWK!!! You wouldn't under the feeling. It's not about going over and "killing", it's about being being left behind and not contribute to the mission.
Fireball
39th Fighter Squadron "Cobras in the Clouds"

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2004, 12:15:24 PM »
So... Who is the fellow that is going thru the American service mens record for "Famous relatives".

Is this a draft thingy?

The post about Yeager was cool, Airplane connection and all, but MJ´s brother seems a bit far fetched.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Finrod

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2004, 12:18:44 PM »
CSM Jordon is fairly well known. Post Public Relations would have been aware of his connection to his famous brother.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2004, 12:29:50 PM »
You want to change peoples' opinions about the Iraq war? Easy- start drafting middle aged, right wing Neo-con bulletin board posters. Somehow having your arse on the line manages to change most peoples' opinions.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2004, 12:40:26 PM »
Hey ... it worked for dubya dubya two!

Ahem.

Thread went and gone daffy early on, I see. Heh.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2004, 12:41:53 PM »
I disagree, Airhead.  There are millions--yes, millions--of Americans who support the war, and a lot of them are in the military, in Iraq, going there soon, or just back.  Have you served?  Would you serve?

War is unglorious, deadly, and frightening.  But sometimes it is the only answer.  I am proud to have served (years ago), and would be proud to serve again, if they want my fat old body for anything.  We are given so much in this country, and we are obligated to give back.  Some choose to ignore the obligation, for whatever reason.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2004, 12:50:32 PM »
Originally posted by Airhead
You want to change peoples' opinions about the Iraq war? Easy- start drafting middle aged, right wing Neo-con bulletin board posters. Somehow having your arse on the line manages to change most peoples' opinions.
Any idea how the military voted on the last elections?

I think many people would be proud to serve if given the opportunity .  It just doesn't work when someone who declined the opportunity to serve the first time pretends they wouldn't the second time in front of a large number of people that have already established their willingness by actions instead of words.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2004, 01:37:56 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Any idea how the military voted on the last elections?

I think many people would be proud to serve if given the opportunity .  It just doesn't work when someone who declined the opportunity to serve the first time pretends they wouldn't the second time in front of a large number of people that have already established their willingness by actions instead of words.

You're right MiniD, the military is more conservative and generally supports President Bush, as you would expect them to do.

If we institute a draft, tho, and parents are seeing their kids get ripped out of college to go fight a war halfway around the world, then you'd see that support go to hell in a handbasket in a hurry.

Remember, the demonstrations against Viet Nam stopped once the draft was abolished. We're tolorent of wars only as long as participation is voluntary.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2004, 01:46:10 PM »
There is no draft.  Hundreds of thousands of parents are watching their children go to war.  What do you think the beliefs amongst the parents that have lost children in Iraq are today?  I believe you'd find a response from those parents pretty much to be in line with the voting distribution.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2004, 01:46:14 PM »
I'd say we're tolerant as long as most feel the war is "justified" in some way.

WW2 stands as a prime example. Korea in a similar fashion.

I disagree that "the draft" made all the difference in VietNam. The first draft lottery was in 1969; I think public opinion about the the reasons for our involvement significantly deteriorated before then.

The Diem Coup certainly did not reflect great credit on our politicians, our government and our involvement.

The idiotic rules of engagment under Johnson/McNamara long prior to the institution of a draft made it clear to anyone with a brain that we weren't trying to actually beat the NV.

Given the fact that long before the draft it was clear we weren't fighting to win, I don't think it's too much of a mystery why the American public withdrew support for that war. Added to that is the somewhat lackluster enthusiasm of the SV themselves.

Just my .02.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2004, 02:49:03 PM »
Wow, was I ever wrong. I Googled, and we had a draft from 1948 til 1973.