Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 773 times)

Offline HiRise

• Zinc Member
Newbie Questions
« on: July 02, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
Hi folks!

I'm at AH since yesterday and I would like to ask you some questions. I'm from Germany and have some experience with WarBirds - so I'm a newbie only with AH, not with online Flight-Sims in general.
Now bout my questions:
 [list=1]
  •  In flight the engine sounds, stall sounds etc. work fine, but I hear no sounds of my guns or the acks. Is this a problem of my PC or do I have to download additional soundpacks for that?
  • I have a problem with the fuel indicator in the cockpit. When I start with 75% of fuel (just an example) after just a few minutes the fuel indicator shows me, that the tanks are nearly empty. Some moments later it shows again something near 75% of fuel, only to drop very quickly to zero again (I had to ditch without fuel some moments ago, cause I thought "Well, might go up again"  ;) ). Is this a bug / PC-Problem / my fault?
  • On the new map today there are some red arrows forming a "circle" looking like a patrol path or something similar. What the heck do they mean?
  • What means  "  <S>  " ?
  • [/list=a]

Thx in advance for any answers

HiRise

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2001, 01:52:00 PM »
1.  Pull up your clipboard.. hit setup.. Sounds.. now look and see if any of your sounds are turned down.  Try turning your engine sound down a bit and see if it is drownin out the other sounds.  If this doesn't fix it post your system specs and we will see if we can dig further into it.

2. Depending on the plane you are flying there are multiple fuel tanks.  If you look on your indicator you should see something like A-Main or A-right A-Aux  .. The A means Auto fuel selection.. it switches tanks for you to help keep the plane balanced.. and the rest is the tank it is using.  You can use Shift F to cycle thru your tanks.  You can manage it yourself or cycle around until you see the A infront of the tank.

3. The arrows are indications of the travel of the Carrier Group.  

4. <S> or S! means Salute!  Good Fight.. WTG.. etc.  :)

S!
Rocket
AH-Training Corp

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Newbie Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2001, 04:00:00 PM »
Rocket pretty much summed it up however I thought I might add one thing about fuel. The planes in Aces High use fuel at the rate of 2.5 times the normal. That being the case it is very common to take off with full fuel in most planes unless you are going a very short distance. One option is to carry 50% to 75% fuel internaly and a drop tank. Use the drop tank to get where you are going and the internal fuel to linger over target and return to base.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline HiRise

• Zinc Member
Newbie Questions
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2001, 10:57:00 AM »
Thx for your answers. I'm sure, that i will have more questions soon  :cool: .

Offline HiRise

• Zinc Member
Newbie Questions
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2001, 07:45:00 PM »
Here are my next questions    :D :
  • My sound problem is not yet solved. ALL sound settings in the setup are at 80%, but there are no gun- or ack-sounds. So here are the specs of my system, that I think might be interesting here:

WIN98SE
Duron 700 overclocked at 933 (rockstable   ;) )
Abit KT7A Raid
HD WD 400BB Ultra-TA100 at IDE Port 3 (HPT370 Controller Chip)
Soundblaster 128 PCI (Creative Drivers from 8-15-2000)
ISDN Adapter: AVM Fritz! Card PNP ISA
MSI Grafic Adapter with Riva TNT 2 Pro and 32MB (Drivers are Detonator 6.50 from 12-04-2000)
If other specs are needeed, I will post them on demand
  • How long is 1 square of the map?
  • What exactly do the 2 graphs under "Net Status" mean and how can i judge my connection with them
  • What is the "Combat Trim"
Thx
HiRise

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: HiRise ]

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Newbie Questions
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2001, 09:20:00 PM »
HiRise,

"My sound problem is not yet solved."

Sorry, I don't know the answer to this one. What you listed as a system should work. Two questions though, are you running the DX8Beta versions or the 1.07p3 version? If you are running the beta version are any of your gun sounds or ack sounds in stereo? The only way you would have gotten those is with some third party sounds.

"How long is 1 square of the map?"

If you look at the top of the map on the right hand side it shows you how long each square is. Each square is a 25X25 mile square.

"What exactly do the 2 graphs under "Net Status" mean and how can i judge my connection with them "

Lephturn can give you a much better answer to that one.

"What is the "Combat Trim""

Combat trim is a automatic trim mechanism that keeps the airplane in approximately good trim. It keeps you from having to manualy trim the airplane for the different flight modes you would find yourself in.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Newbie Questions
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2001, 06:51:00 AM »
Right then, I heard my name mentioned....  :)

Well HT has not to my knowledge ever explained exactly what the net status graphs mean.  However, I can make an educated guess.

There are two graphs if I remember correctly (I'm at work), one for "Host Delay" or something like that, and another for your connection latency.  What you are looking for in both respects is a smooth line.  It is not important what your "ping" time is, so much as if that line is stable.  If the "Host Delay" line is jumping up and down a lot, this could indicate that either the network between you and the host is losing packets, or the host itself is overloaded.  In my experience it's almost always a network problem.  The connection delay in the bottom box is most important.  This will tell you if your connection latency is nice and smooth.  If it is spiking up and down a lot, that is indicating network problems between you and HTC that will likely manifest itself as "warps", or seeing the enemy planes jump around a bit erratically due to delayed or lost information updates.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Newbie Questions
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2001, 06:52:00 AM »
Oh one more note, you should post in the tech support forum about your sound problem.  You'll get much more help for that sourt of thing in that one.  :)

Offline HiRise

• Zinc Member
Newbie Questions
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2001, 09:48:00 AM »
Ok, i'll continue with my sound problem in the Hardware Forum.
Much Thabks so far for the quick answers.

HiRise