Author Topic: your tips about fighting in or versus Yak 9U  (Read 701 times)

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
your tips about fighting in or versus Yak 9U
« on: July 20, 2001, 05:04:00 AM »
What is your expirience about figting in Yak 9U or versus ?

What is offcial tactic in this plane ?

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2001, 06:01:00 AM »
in it, get real close before firing.. against it, dont let it get close.  :)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2001, 06:12:00 AM »
As a Spit Pilot, The Yak is faster than I in level flight under 20K, but Yak pilots seem to be unsure of their planes' strength and I find if I ping them with the .303's even at max. range they'll usualy start to turn, and that's when I can catch them.

I'll catch them in the begining of a dive, they'll out pace me if the dive is prolonged, but ultimatly I'll catch them at the bottom, but I've a feeling thier high speed handling is a bit better than mine.

They seem to need to be very close to do any damage, and I'm rarely hit by a Yak snapshot, they really do have saddle up properly; so I find my self flying somewhat similar to a 190 when bounced, that's to say rolls and jinks with an aim to run their ammo dry rather than actualy turn tables. They usualy get impatient and make a mistake at that point.

If I can, I'll get the fight going uphill, and turning to the right. If I'm following a Yak uphill, and he starts turning left, I usualy break off with an out of plane manouver and re-engage.

Yak pilots (in general) generaly seem to fly as turners, I rarely see good E management, and I often find my self 2 or 3 K higher  after an inconclusive engagement with the Yak running for the hills. At that point I follow but hold my alt, and quite often they get nervous about fuel and turn to re-engage at a disadvantage.

Hope that helps.

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2001, 02:16:00 PM »
Most good Yak drivers I've seen use the vertical a lot.  It's a good climber and you can outmaneuver a Spit that way (I know, it's been done to me).  Loops are good as most people try to follow Yak thru the loop and the Yak ends up with more 'e' in the end.  Then, when they try to break it off the Yak has the 'e' and acceleration to follow and saddle up quickly.  Or if you're driving a Yak try to get them to follow you up and when they stall out first and drop you pounce on them.  BUT, make sure you have an 'e' advantage before doing this.  Try to hide you're 'e' by pulling low 'G's and unloading on the zoom climb.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, NEVER HO a Yak unless you're absolutely sure it's the -9U. If you're wrong, you'll get a face full of 37mm from the -9T which'll put you back in the tower faster than you can say "what the he...!!?"

Scissors moves are good defensively against a Yak.  With limited ammo they have to get close and lay on the lead since they only have 1-20mm cannon with poor ammo loadout.  Lots of time you can get them to blow their ammo (20mm at least).

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: SpitLead ]

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2001, 06:40:00 AM »
Yes i know that Yak is good turner and good climber... ty for posts

SPitlead.:  If i wil sit in yak and spit 5 behind me with same speed. how far he have to be to do that low G climbbin and then fall on his tail ?

Btw. My expirience is that Yak is as good turner as Spit9 , and much faster than spit5
about 5k is also faster then Dora and and a bit fater then typhoon without wep ... true air speed is about 390-400 MPH

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2001, 03:57:00 PM »
The Yak is one nasty opponent, fast and good on the vertical as well as a good turner.
My feeling is that the La7/La5 accelerate better, but Yak turns better...wonder if I am right...
From flying it, the main weakness I spotted was a little vertical instability at lower speed, making it a bad plane to aim with.
 I prefer to fight the yak with a spit9, the spit definately turns better and handles much better under 200 miles speed, so try to lure the agressive Yak pilot into stalling, then toast him. Spit 9 with .50's plus cannons also has better firepower.
The yak tactics versus spit is therefore high speed and vertical tactics.
Yak performs nicely against other planes, especially 109's, 51's, typhs, f6f, p47, etc. It needs a bit better roll rate for the f4u and 190, but not all pilots are good roll-fighters.....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2001, 06:51:00 PM »
EagleC, I'm really not sure about the low-g climb.  It's not a maneuver I've tried very often though I've seen it used on me successfully at times.  I usually figure this out too late.  My only suggestion is that if you're sure you're co-'e' (equal energy state) then just climb making sure there's enough separation so they don't get a shot.  Look back at your 6 position and wait until you see he stalls first.  If he waits too long he'll drop like a rock and you can pounce on him.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
Angus, historically (I haven't tested it in game) the La7 and the Yak-9U should both make a 360 degree turn in almost identical times. Except the Yak turns the best to the right, while the La7 turns best to the left, due to opposite engine torque.

Comparing the two's acceleration depends highly on altitude, with the La7 superior on the deck to around 5k, and the Yak superior in the 5k-15k range. Of course they both stink above 15k.

Best defensive manuever in a Yak is the horizontal (flat) or rolling scissors, due to its incredible roll rates.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »
EagleC, I have a film of me flying a Yak9U and getting 4 kills in it before landing. It's roughly 1MB zipped up, either I can email it to you or I will have it uploaded to the squadron server and will give you a URL to it. I filmed it Tuesday or Wednsday night.
-SW

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
http://gandalf.totalcs.com/ahinfo/mark/yaksw.zip

Here's the film of me in a Yak9U.
-SW

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
Thank you for advise...
I had few times 7 kills in yakU in one sortie. But most time about 3kills then rtb. I just wanna know if there is somethink what i didnt know  :)
Yak 9U is quite coool fighter under 15k