Author Topic: Learning to fly  (Read 7928 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #285 on: April 02, 2005, 11:52:40 PM »
So....   I went flying this morning as some last minute practice.  I flew out to the Simi Valley practice area and practiced steep turns and S-turns, two things I knew I needed practice for.

I also did a soft-field landing.  I'm feeling pretty good about them now.  They're kind of awkward, but I think I got it.

I came back and did a short field landing...  sort of.  I overshot my touchdown point, but I'm confident I'll get the next one.  If I feel it going south during my checkride, I'll do a go-around.  According to the examiner, that's ok.

Regarding the checkride, the plane didn't get back in time, so I had to cancel my flying test today as well.  Glargh!  Tomorrow at 4 it is.  A friend of mine organized a little get together (he called it 'Ben Voyage') at Speedzone in City of Industry to wish me off tomorrow at 6 (I'm moving to Oregon).  Since my checkride is at 4, I'm sure I'll be a little late, but I think people will understand.

Hey, if any of you in LA want to come and race cars and whatnot, come on down!  Might be fun, just look for the group of people spazzing out on Dance Dance Revolution and drinking and yelling at someone named 'Ben', that's me.  :D
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #286 on: April 04, 2005, 02:18:44 AM »
Ah!  I'm 49 inches around my chest, and I'm 6'2".  Does that make me a 49L?  Ah, I'm learning new things all the time!  Speaking of which, time for my update.....
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #287 on: April 04, 2005, 03:58:00 AM »
*** NEWS FLASH *** NEWS FLASH ***

This afternoon, I was hanging out at a friends house when someone asked me what time it was.  I glanced at my watch and told him it was 1:30.  Puzzled, he asked me if that was taking daylight savings into account.

"Daylight what-now?" I asked.  After a brief discussion, I realized with a chill that if I had not had this chance discussion, I would have been an hour late to my check ride.

I showed up about a half hour early to the airport.  I went to the FBO where the examiner was based and he was chatting with another gentleman when I walked in, and he greeted me.  We walked out to the plane and he stood back and let me pre-flight it without any comment, then climbed in.  I started it up and taxied to the run-up area and got the engine warmed up and all the instruments set up.  When I was done with my checklist, I called for clearance and taxied to the runway.  As I did, he told me he wanted to see a short field takeoff.

We waited for 5-10 minutes because of a bunch of traffic coming in and leaving ahead of us, but when we got our turn, I rolled out onto the runway (he told me I didn't need to hang my tail out over Bundy, the street right off the end of the runway), pivoted, ran up the engine, checked my gauges, then started my takeoff roll.  I rotated, then (when he called the 50' obstacle) pushed the nose down, cleaned up the flaps and climbed out at 87 knots.  I felt good about the maneuver, and he didn't say anything, so I started climbing out over the pacific towards the practice area.

As we approached the Topanga pass, it became clear that there were a bunch of clouds in the valley.  "It didn't look like that this morning," the examiner mentioned.  I ended up having to dodge a cloud to maintain VFR cloud clearance rules.

In the valley, he told me to find Santa Paula airport and point it out.  I find it on my chart, and see that it's due north of Camarillo airport.  I've used that as a landmark many times, and landed there too (heck, it was my first non-Santa Monica airpoirt I landed at).  "No problem" I say confidently.  After five minutes, I was a little less confident.  The valley is filled with low clouds, and at one point I had to climb a thousand feet to clear some clouds before descending back to look for the airport.

After a couple passes over the town, I was really starting to sweat until I finally noticed a runway-like structure sticking out of a river.  On closer inspection, I was able to see that the airport had been halfway washed out by the river, but it was indeed there.

After this, we did steep turns.  I got it perfect, we re-intercepted our wake.  I did a stall recovery, as well as unusual attitudes, and some instrument course changes.  After we finished this, he gave me an engine failure.  It went ok, but I could have picked a better field.

Finally, he told me to take us home.  I flew back through the Malibu canyon, then up the coast back to Santa Monica.  I made my calls entered the pattern and did a short field landing.  I was really nervous about touching down within 50 feet of the white mark, and I was tempted to do a go-around, but touched down and made it.  

I taxied back, then did a soft-field takeoff.  Finally, I brought it in for a soft field landing and taxied back to the lower southeast to park it.

He wasn't saying anything, and I started to get more and more nervous.  Did I pass?  Did I fail?  I had a sick feeling in my stomach, but I kept a positive attitude and parked the plane.  As I brought the plane to a stop (with the engine off) he turned to me and said "Congratulations!"  I just about passed out, but I took his hand and shook it.  I swear, the grin on my face is going to have to be surgically removed.

I got my temporary airmens certificate, so I am now a pilot!  I can't wait to exercise the privileges of the certification!

I drove out to Speed Zone and met my friends, where we raced and drank and climbed a moving rock-wall (it's like a vertical conveyor, hard work).  I got back late this evening, and am just now going to bed.

Tomorrow morning, I'm getting in my car with the last of my possessions and driving up north to live with my family again.  I can't describe how happy I am to be going to them.

I called my wife after the exam and told her "Honey, do you want the good news or the bad news first?"  She told me to give her the bad news.  "Honey, the bad news is...  we're gonna have to buy a plane, because I just PASSED MY EXAMINATION!"

Of course, if she had asked for the good news, I would have responded "The good news is...  we get to buy a plane, because I just PASSED MY EXAMINATION!"

PS, my wife Kaydee also did something very cool today.  She took a gun safety course, and went in one day from really nervous about guns to the point where she's planning on getting her concealed carry permit in the next few weeks.  Wins for both of us!

I AM NOW A PILOT!  W00t!

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #288 on: April 04, 2005, 11:01:52 AM »
Given your past entries in this thread sir...

I was not surprised to hear the good news.

Very well done!  and a big fat "Doh!" on your size, I misjudged ya.  I am selling a few items on ebay and I had one of these items not on the auction block yet.  Tis a very nice Nomex flight suit size 46R and I had a contact who can make nametag ID's with your air force wings on them.  You can either get lyposuction this week or not worry about it and enjoy your new white slip :)

Congratulations, sir.

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #289 on: April 04, 2005, 12:52:09 PM »
Congratulations!  You've earned it.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #290 on: April 04, 2005, 01:01:20 PM »
WTG Chair and welcome to the Club!!!

Blue skys and Safe flying !!!

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2005, 01:59:31 PM »
I have followed this thread from the begining. What a great trip and congrats. You will be a great pilot.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2005, 03:48:56 PM »
Congrats Chairboy.  Now don't go out and kill yourself.  Get a few hours every month and time/$$$ permitting, get some extra ratings too.  You've got a license to learn, so use it :)

Seriously, lots of dead guys were the ones who got their licenses and then didn't fly enough to keep proficient.  Budget enough time/money to keep proficient (additional ratings is a great excuse), or do like my Dad did, admit that you're not flying enough to be safe, and stop altogether.

But enough philosopherizing...  To the bar!!!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #293 on: April 05, 2005, 02:19:29 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I can't wait to go out and stay current, and I look forward to starting on my instrument rating as soon as possible.  

Golfer, that was an awful kind idea!  I think I've got a ways to go before I'd fit (if ever), so I think I'll follow your other advice and go enjoy my new certificate instead, but thanks anyhow!  Next time I'm in Vegas, I'll look you up and take you out for a drink.  Heck, maybe I'll be able to show you whatever dirt cheap IFR plane I've managed to buy at the same time.  :D  In regards to that, it's now time for Operation "Convince my wife to let me buy an airplane".  I'm pretty sure there's a better codename out there somewhere...  this might not be as obfuscating as usual.

Not a second too soon on getting the certificate, btw.  This morning, I moved for keeps out of Los Angeles and now live in Springfield.  It was a long drive, but...  it was close!  If I hadn't passed, I'm not sure WHEN I could have taken the retest.  Whew!

In the immediate future, I think I'll get my complex endorsement and tailwheel.  There's a Cessna 172-RG (A 'Gutless Cutlass') at a nearby airport for rent, and anothre airport has an Aeronca Champ.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #294 on: April 05, 2005, 07:27:54 AM »
With regards to Vegas, it was a short two week stint of good weather to knock out my CFI, CFII and MEI ratings.  I'm a resident of Ohio and will remain so for the time being :)

Do you have any particular bird in mind for "Operation Canary?"  You just missed out on two 172s a friend of mine had for sale he had to sell at a loss because of a bad situation with a flight school to which they were lease backed (they simply did not pay him and he is owed by them in excess of $15,000) so be very cautious on leasing the airplane back should you choose to do so.  A nice Cherokee with a 160hp engine is always a good choice.  The always faithful and forgiving 172 is a fantastic instrument platform as is the 182 should you be requiring six cylinders to feed your appetite.

Excellent choice on the complex/tailwheel endorsements.  Now is the time while you're keyed up on learning and they are going to do nothing except make you a better pilot.  Make friends with the gear handle in that Cutlass...I've had to use it twice for real in the 172RG.  Inspect prior to each and every flight by pulling it out and having a look-see at it's condition.  It's on the checklist, but take care to do so because it's often skipped in practice.  I did my tailwheel in a Citabria only recently, though I have about 50-60 hours in tailwheel airplanes including an Aeronca Chief, Taylorcraft, Luscombe and even a Pitts among others.  I offered to help one of the old timers at the airport build banners and set them up for pickup in exchange for a tailwheel endorsement so I could start logging tailwheel time.  Kinda stinks to really "need" the total time and you're not allowed to put it in the book.

Now I'm in the market for a Pitts S1C however things are quite hectic now and I don't have time to really shop around which is a very good problem to have as a freelance CFI with no initial private pilot students.  All of mine are either IFR or multi students and I've got such a full plate I've already got two ground schools in the works.  One for Instruments which runs 3 hours once a week for 6 weeks the other for Multi which is only 4 weeks and a 2 hour class.  I signed off my first checkride last week.  A Multi-Engine add-on for a commercial pilot and darned if he didn't pass :D

Enjoy your ratings.  Keep your eyes & ears open and absorb all the information you can for your first 200 hours because like anything else, when you're new at something is your highest level of risk.  Stay current, and for goodness sake if you are feeling uneasy about a flight...take a CFI with you.  That's a cheap $20/hr (off the flight school's books) insurance policy.  Congratulations again :)

Chairboy flying off into the sunrise: