Author Topic: trainers available  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
trainers available
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
I'm in the TA quite a bit
newbies always asking for trainers and no trainers on.

with all these new people you should have trainers lurking around the TA looking for people who need help?

this "you send me an email asking for help and I will get back to you" attitude is not working

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
trainers available
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2001, 12:23:00 PM »
[sarcasm]I agree with Citster'.  Once you guys become trainers you shouldn't fly for fun anymore.  Leph should work out a schedule so that the TA has at least one trainer on duty all the time.  If no one is asking for a trainer at the time, the trainer can either participate in the FFA or just practice JABO or something.  Sorry ammo, but you've got training duty this Friday night, so you'll have to miss the TOD frame.  Sorry ghosth, you can't give us Mongrels training on Wednesday nights anymore, cuz you HAVE to sit in the TA.  Leph, as head trainer, you can only make schedules or police your charges to make sure they're in the TA.[/sarcasm]

Last time I checked, these trainers are volunteers.  They are in no way obligated to have set duty times of being in the TA.  Many of them will stick their heads in the TA to see if someone needs help.

another thing.  It doesn't take an official Aces High Trainer to teach someone how to do things.  Cit, nothing is stopping you from helping a newbie in the TA if a trainer isn't there.  You play this game more than anyone, and you fly it better than almost anyone.  Letting a newbie follow you through some BFMs and then try to hold your 6 would be some of the most beneficial training I could think of.  

Anyways, training was available for me when I asked for it.  I was told to come here and ask for a trainer.  Wasn't all that hard, though I had to wait a day.  MarkAT helped me out with some basics, showed me some ACM concepts then let me shoot him down...  twice!   ;)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
trainers available
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2001, 12:36:00 PM »
Fester does have one point...

Emailing trainers isn't a good idea.

Why? Because the reply is invariably a cheerfull and friendly "How can I help you? What needs to be worked on?"
And the student doesn't know what's wrong; he just knows he dies too much.

This is lazyness, and it's not fair to the student.

I know AH hasn't done it upto now, but AH could take a good look at the old Air Warrior "Flight acadamy" and learn some thing. Newbies _like_ working through a training program - they can see the progress as they pass through the syllabus and they feel equiped to face the MA - rightly or wrongly - it feels like flight school and that's what they want. Ask Silat if you see him, one of AW's best ever trainers.

The most important step for a newbie is skills assesment as a tool to see what needs improvment.

And it needn't take long.

The next thing would be "trainer TOD's". There *should* be a trainer available in the TA at peak times, both Yanqee and Euro, to pick up the stragglers.

Remember; HTC just cut the prise in half and if we're lucky it's news in the gaming mags. We MUST be ready for the influx of seals and help 'em out.

Cit, could you do that? Could you train helpless puppies with sensitivity?

To be honest you've always come accross as much more a Svengali than a Sensei.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
trainers available
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2001, 12:41:00 PM »
When I was a trainer, I would talk to them in the MA or TA and setup schedules with my "trainees". We would hook up in the TA and I would show them various moves and sent them a few scans from Shaw's book.

I also flew "target drone" for them and would have mock dogfights. I would fire the light calibre guns and only try to hit them once (so they know I had a solution on them) but they had free range on me and if they got a solution were to shoot me down.

It worked pretty well, and only took a few sessions before they got a hang of it.
-SW

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
trainers available
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
yeah I will help just cuz im a nice guy.

as far as being official trainer big deal. I already paid for a years worth of AH so that part dosn't matter.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
trainers available
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2001, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fester':
yeah I will help just cuz im a nice guy.

Hell hasn't frozen over yet....
-SW

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
trainers available
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
Fester,
      I'll call your bluff, if I may.

How about a  class? I'd be happy to set up a H2H if you want.

I know I suck; but I don't know where. I've read the books, and the sites, I can talk the talk but just can't walk the walk.

I don't know what time zone you're on, but it must be close to mine, we've run in each other enough times.

I'd like to learn.

rexkeene@get2net.dk

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
trainers available
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
I never flew AW, so I'm not sure exactly what sort of a training regimen you mean Seeker.  I'm certainly interested though, it does sound good.  If any of you have something to suggest... please do!  I'll take material and/or input from anybody.  :)

In regards to skills assessment, actually I find many students can give me a decent idea when I ask.  The real skills assessment comes when we set up a session though.  I pretty much ask what plane the trainee wants to learn in, if there is one, and we go from there.  Once you get with them and mix it up in the TA, you can assess skill pretty quickly.

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
trainers available
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2001, 03:15:00 PM »
seeker you can ask any trainer you like to exchange email and egt back to you and set up a time.

thats what they do

if you wanna learn a few tricks i picked up then ask me in MA TA or CT.

what do you need help with?
why not voice your concerns questions and needs in this forum?

why private email bs?

if everyone sees it then they may join in and watch and learn too eh?

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
trainers available
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »
i looked at your stats seeker.

seems you fly p38 quite a bit and die a lot in it. more so than other aircraft you fly.

if you want to kill more and get shot down less its your SA that needs work not your flying skills.

I've seen you fly and you fly quite well.
but you dont see a bad situation before its to late and thats why you get shot down more than you shoot others down.

the other key is gunnery. if you are missing your targets you need to record your sorties and watch where your bullets are going when you shoot.

this will help you become better at judging lead and deflection shots

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
trainers available
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2001, 04:04:00 PM »
Lephturn,

The following link shows what Seeker is referring to.

Brooke's AWTA Manual

This is Brooke's AWTA manual. It basically served as a syllabus/textbook to go along with the inflight instruction of the Air Warrior Training Academy.

Newbies would move through the course with a set group of others, so upon graduation new pilots would have a good skill base, and some good friends. A few squads' nucleus grew out of AWTA graduating classes.
Hornet

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
trainers available
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2001, 07:51:00 PM »
I will testify in Festers defense. he has sent me film before. He has never been a jerk to me.

xBAT

P.S>\. But hell...who COULD hate a cute little furry winged rodent that eats bugs and stuff?
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
trainers available
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2001, 10:56:00 PM »
the way the TA is set up currently it is not used in the way it should be. When i first became a trainer I spent many an eve in there. What I learned very quickly was that what most people go there fore is quick, relentlless furballing. And eventually someone gets there feelings hurt. I spent alot of time telling folks no, stop that. Please go to the DA, thats what it is for, etc... There were even very accomplished pilots , not unlike fester, that hung out there and I guess were just boosting there ego by killing the many new guys or just the regular furballers. These same regular furbalers were not that great of pilots so they made easy targets for the accomplished guys like Nathbdp, fester, etc. I am only illistrating what the trainers are up against there. I have long since went to an appointment type thing. The private email thing is definately not "bs". It gives the trainee the idea that this is "his/her" time. And it is just that, his time. Assesing the skill of trainee is first, then going from there. But this way I know the guy wants my time and is willing to let me help him.

I have always agreed that there is alot of room for improvement in the TA. I support a trainer schedule. Not unlike what WB's used (do they still use it?). You knew by looking at a posted schedule that there would be a trainer in the TA ata given time. Now along with that those guys had ways of enforcing the atmosphere they needed to keep it a training atmosphere. It really ran well. I spent alot of time there.

Well Maybe I am wrong but I figured it was the fact that fester knows hes a better stick than me, he is NOT a AH trainer (wants to be bad), I am and maybe he just resented that. Something caused him to flame away at me in this forum and attempt to bait me in the CT two nights ago. Nice guy? Depends on who you ask. I just thought he wanted a Comp'ed account.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
trainers available
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2001, 11:39:00 PM »
i would just like to say that i have sent an e mail to ammo and i had a training session in no time. sure maybe haveing a trainer lurking around in the TA might not be that bad of an idea but it certainly isnt the end of the world if there isnt. i would just like to say thanx for the help ammo. its much appreciated

Offline air_ReCoile

• Zinc Member
      • http://airsquadron.com/
trainers available
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2001, 01:59:00 AM »
I've seen you fly and you fly quite well.
but you dont see a bad situation before its to late and thats why you get shot down more than you shoot others down.

With all respect Cit, but this is something you CAN'T learn in the TA.
This you can only learn in the MA, CT and events. Best way is to fly sorties with buddies and evaluate each sortie with the same buddies afterwards. Now that is why you want to fly in a squadron for.
Hell, I know I've been told I dive into a furball too quick and didn't watch the eminent threat coming in many times.

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: air_ReCoile ]