Author Topic: Photoshop Question  (Read 579 times)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Photoshop Question
« on: December 19, 2004, 10:12:37 AM »
I'm asking this here because you guys pour out some incredible work and some must use photoshop.  I want to try and make an image and want to use a layer that looks metalic.  I cannot find a nice color that looks metalic .. can more colors be downloaded or do I need to use a filter?

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Photoshop Question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 10:24:20 AM »
If you want a solid color for metal, like an underlayer for weathering and scratches, just use a shiney gray layer.  I use the color
Red: 128
Blue: 128
Green: 128
mostly for this type of work.  If you want a textured bare-metal look, then you're going to have to ask someone else. :)  I recommend oboe, waffle, and nopoop.  There are many more out there that have worked with bare metal, but I cant think of any more names off the top of my head.

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Photoshop Question
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 10:36:13 AM »
Colors are not metalic or non metalic.  Making something look metalic is a matter of reflectivity, diffusion and highlight.

Offline airmess

• Nickel Member
Photoshop Question
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 07:53:12 PM »
Skernsk. You have to play arround with different layers. One in light grey, one in  blue and one wich has some structure which makes the metal surface looking a bit "waved" (sorry, cant find the right word).

I'm working on a metallic surface right now, but i cant tell you if its accurate or not.

If there's a prof on that issue, it would be great to make and post a short "how to do" manual about.

airmess
Intel QuadCore 9350
Asus P-5E
Nvisia 9800 GTX
8GB Ram
Samsung 245B

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Photoshop Question
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 07:23:01 AM »
Photoshop has some nice texture treatments that you can overlay on the base color to give a metal look.   Just use the opacity adjustment to let enough of your orginal work  show through.

Also, google on 'Photoshop tutorials metal' and you'll find some specific instructions....

GL!