Author Topic: Follow-on from barrel roll  (Read 739 times)

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Follow-on from barrel roll
« on: August 23, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
Ok, so you've evaded the con on your 6 with a barrel roll. Your SA tells you that he's gone high, perhaps trying to sucker you in. What to do? A dive or split-S and scarper? Obviously you don't follow him up!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
Dont lose sight, watch him for his move, what AC is he in? what advantage does your AC hold over his? Initially I would probably be looking for an extention. But if he seems to be rookie, or just greedy he may afford you a an easy overshoot shot. If he just avoided following your roll, and grabbed a little to keep the overshoot then it may be best to bugg out if you can. A break turn would be appropriate if he is in a energy AC..IE a pony, FW, Jug etc..

Lots of variables.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2001, 06:01:00 PM »
Yep, lots of variable here...

Ammo is right... watch him carefully.  While you are watching him you should be level or slightly nose down in WEP gaining E.  The rest is really going to depend on the situation, relative energy states, and relative plane performance.  Ideally you have a few thousand feet below you, and you are in a better diving plane... at this point you can 0G dive out and escape.

Basically escape if you can, and if not watch him and prepare for his next attack.

Also... if the fellow zoomed before the overshoot and is setting up another attack you might want to be careful.  A less experience pilot would have overshot.  The guys that counter your move intelligently are putting up a warning sign that they may be very dangerous fellows.

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.webtreatz.com/tod/lognew.html
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2001, 07:39:00 AM »
The brutal fact is many pilots are poor in SA.  If ya can get outta of sight you may well confuse the pursuer enough to give you manoevering room.  I find a sort of rolling scissors best for this.  Well actually half of one. (assuming you got enough e to make a resonable tight turn)  What I do is break either left or right with a nose up attitude (usually about 30deg) using pro-rudder to perform a barrell motion at the same time.  The end result is you not heading back the way you came but about 45degrees of this line, which confuses the hell outta an attacker.  Also if the attacker is a t&ber like spit or nik they will usually lose so much airspeed following you that you can easily extend or escape. BTW I would be in an la7 or similar plane doing this.

May not be the best technical solution, but it works for me!

Also if I have the alt for it a split-s solves many problems.  Particulary if you got a faster plane than your attacker.

<S>

Gremlin.
Flt.Lt.Gremlin
56th Firebirds "Fighter" Squadron RAF.

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Gremlin ]

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2001, 08:10:00 AM »
Heya ... my tactic is quite simple. If somebody dive on me, and he is over me not much behind, he have very sharp angel in dive. I usualy move up to immelman while he passing  and then turn nose on him and dive on him .... now im behind him , because he lose many E in sharp climbing ... he dont know , that im slower he see only that im behind him and usualy start turn or somethink like that ... if he had not BIG E advanced, he usualy isnt able to run away. It is somethink like scisors but in vertical variant. Working well on spits, nikis p47.. etc...... i usualy doing it in Yak 9U or Tiffie . I rimember 1 time very high spit dived on my tiffie , i done it and when i turned nose on him after immelman, he went troght my hispanos, because he start climb realy sharp after bad pass   :) (i had no speed he had much E )..... it was ammo <S>   :)

Orel

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: EagleC ]