Author Topic: B&Z survival...  (Read 786 times)

Offline MrSmiley

• Zinc Member
B&Z survival...
« on: August 23, 2001, 08:38:00 PM »
Hi, guys, I have a fairly general question regarding boom and zoom combat.  I, along with the rest of my sqaud, usually fly the Spit IX.  The plane handles brilliantly in turning combat, which I can usually survive, however, when facing an enemy with a distinct alt/E advantage in a boom and zoom situation I find it hard to win the battle.  My questions are as follows:

1) What is the best way to either drag an enemy into a turning battle, or beat him despite his hit and run tactics without having to fire with closure rates into the -.1k per second area (if there is a way)?

2) Finally, is there a "good" way to bug out against a b&z offender?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
B&Z survival...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2001, 09:39:00 PM »
Extend every chance u get, while he's climbing move away from him, and force him into an extended chase, eventually u will equalize e states or he will bug out.

U don't have to break at the last second, as he is diving on you start a turn keeping your speed, as he closes start tightening the turn.  If he follows he burns alot of E, if he zooms, u have speed to extend away from him forcing the chase again.

SKurj

Offline raven 8

• Copper Member
B&Z survival...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2001, 02:34:00 AM »
dont break hard but try to turn into him while diving to pick up speed. if he was in a 109, hell bug out because if he follows u he will compress and auger.

and even if he wasnt, hell still have trouble following u since u've reversed direction. so rever, dive and pick up as much speed as u can. atleast when u have speed if he dives back down ull have speed to manourver with

messiah1

Offline Bozon12

• Zinc Member
      • http://t2.technion.ac.il/~snordon/bozon
B&Z survival...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
from my little expeience (but i learn quick..  :) )

1. if he's comming in steep, a split S can work pretty good in spoiling his attack, since he won't be able to turn fast enough at that speed.

2. if any squadies are around, simply change some alt for speed. one of two things will happen:
  a. he wouldn't be to keen on loosing a lot of his precious alt, and wouldn't follow.
  b. if he does follow one of your squadies will find himself over the bastard and will get him . no 109 will go under a spit.  ;)

Bozon

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
B&Z survival...
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2001, 12:49:00 PM »
NEVER Split S unless you are giving up...

Split S should be considered a last resort.
Every time you do a split S you lose energy while your opponent maintains his, basically increasing the Energy margin between you and he.

SKurj

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
B&Z survival...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2001, 08:35:00 PM »
A B&Zer has a limited altitude range he can work in.  The limit will be set by when he nears compression in his dive.  At this point he will have to climb back up.  The B&Zer will also limit his time at the bottom of dive.  This is where he has the greatest energy loss.  So the B&Zer needs to take time to set up his pass so he has a straight six shot on you.

The best thing you can do is to foil has pass by starting a turn early, not giving him a straight shot.  If he turns, or pushes the attacks too fast, he will soon lose his E advantage.  

It will not be easy to sucker a true B&Zer into a turn fight.  The idea of B&Z is patients setting up the shot, and extend into a climb if he doesn't get a shot.

A good way to bug out is to spit S as he dives and extend away low in the opposite direction.

Gunner <CAF>

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: GunnerCAF ]
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
B&Z survival...
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2001, 07:27:00 AM »
Best waz how to staz alive while somebodz BaZ you is to turn nose on him while ho go down and let him pass  but do not HO only turn nose on him but do not HO .. this will make his aiming very hard , because he will have very short time to aim ... after his pass climb and watch him ... if he turn on you imidietly , take some speed and drag him a bit low , then make slow turn if he will follow he will lose E and you will TaB him if he will not follow and will be climb , try climb too . do it again and again and he will run home or die after some time .. 1vs1 he have no chance how to get you..
If you are turning because somebody dive on you , do not turn whole time in same direction .... its easy target to hit some spit , turing in straight circle. You have to change direction and AOA often  .. do not forget thet he is high speed and his manuevering isnt so fast...
but best way how to  learnt it is have a look  how to make it some ace in your  country... ask them if you can join their fighter and they will show you : )

Offline Tozza

• Zinc Member
B&Z survival...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
Im pretty new to AH but I thought Id have my 10 pence worth so here goes:

If i spot a hi con overhead flying in opposite direction to me,I watch him like a hawk.Once im sure hes coming down to pemmel my ass,I turn back towards him but not a true 180 degrees turn as i personally feel thats easier for him to read.While hes shooting by trying to work out my new heading,im climbing if im full ammo n fuel for advantage,or running if low ammo/fuel/buddies nearby

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
B&Z survival...
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2001, 10:35:00 PM »
There are a couple of disticnt styles of B&Z flying...

One style the con makes long zoom extensions rarely going under your alt with a fair amount of horizontal extension...if you break into bounce and extend away in gentle dive you can extend fairly far...as he reverses zoom at best climb till speed goes to 225 or so and level and wait on him....repeat...heading for home hopefully

2nd is more vertical, this makes extending harder, the key is good break turns with hvy rudder use again stay high...you can usually force the con under you...as he comes up you may get a look and force him to break off

The 3rd and most dangerous is really more e fighting...the con stays in the vert but doesn't break combat in a true B&Z style...he keeps repeating top down slashing attacks...here I'd go with the split-s or spiral dive.

Since your in a spit you have 2 deadly advantages you need to use...

1) you can fight "bottom up"...the spit is deadly reversing into a bouncing con...split-s at zero throttle and continue into a loop back up into con...often you'll catch em coming fast and unable to avoid those hispano's

2)you can take the fight down to the weeds...by removing the "under" option you limit a true B&Zer's options...109G10 and la7 are most deadly to you down low...others cant really ignore your acceleration and climb rate.

Just my 2 cents...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson