Author Topic: Joystick settings  (Read 724 times)

Buzzsaw

Joystick settings
« on: January 06, 2000, 03:40:00 PM »
S! all

As a wet behind the ears rookie at this, (although I do pretty good at Red Baron) I'm wondering if someone could provide some help in setting up my stick?  What are the effects of damping and dead zone?  What is a common setup for flying?  Do the stick setups need to be different for the different aircraft?  What is the order of stick setup?  Anotherwords is there a procedure to follow.  Appreciate any assistance.

Cheers Buzzsaw

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
Joystick settings
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2000, 04:38:00 PM »
(very basic advice here)

Deadband / dead zone is the zone around the center of your stick where the game ignores any stick input, if you have e.g. common drops out of autotrim when your stick seems to be centered you increase that value.

Damping affects erratical joystick outputs, either caused by drivers / setup or by spiky pots on the joystick. A symptom would be a constant or sudden value change when the stick actually stays at or near the same position. Just check those with the joystick output line in the AH stick setup.

A common setup for flying is hard to tell (regarding the different 'translation zones'
for stick input). I use a MS FF stick, and did set all my values to max. Others seem to prefer gradual or incremential steps.

Az

------------------
Azrael
 Red Dragons

Mr.ED

Joystick settings
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2000, 07:25:00 AM »
Use the search option for this BB, look for stick scaling. There are many posts about it.

Mr.ED
Pony Driver
Knight

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
Joystick settings
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2000, 12:41:00 AM »
Hi !
I've saved Idiamn's wrote about deadbands etc on this BBS (Thx Idiamn).
Hope it helps.

"If you allready have a good understanding of these settings than dont bother reading this, but if you are one of those flyers that are still kinda unsure what the hell damper and deadband settings do, read on, i hope this helps.
You see, for those of you that havent DL'd aces high, they have a pretty spiffy stick setting program that displays your stick movements on a graph. Each input is represented, ie, a line for pitch, yaw, roll, and throttle, and you see the graph while you move your stick. It also has a thingie that shows you how fast your inputs actually are which can come in handy for figuring out why you're stalling, or snap rolling, etc, when you are pulling on your stick. I have a crappy old slimewinder 3d pro that I just cant give up so...
So I adjusted the settings and looked at the graph to see how my adjustments actually effected my stick. What I found was that when I pull or push pitch, I was also getting yaw movement...not good. And when I put input for yaw, I was rolling the aircraft as well. This is where an understanding of the deadband comes in....
By increasing the deadband setting, I was capable of pushing or pulling my stick in one way without effecting the other, ie, pitch inputs would ONLY move elevators, roll inputs would ONLY effect ails etc...
So the deadband mystery is solved, now what the hell is a damper??
With the graphical interface of that program, you could tell how fast your stick input was actually happening. By increasing damper settings you are slowing down the rate of your input. This knowlege is handy because some planes are just plain twitchy for me (the F4u) and now I know that by adjusting the damper when I fly them, I can reduce some of the twitchiness.
Now only if wb's had a graphical interface that you could use to see exactly what the hell your stick is doing. By using correct damper and deadband settings I can allmost garantee that my flying will be much more efficient and my E retention will increase. Adjust YOUR settings properly and so can yours. I'll find out this weekend.
C U above,
------------------

Idiamn"

Offline v355_Spike

• Zinc Member
Joystick settings
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2000, 01:40:00 AM »
Great stuff again guys, very informative.

Buzzsaw, deffiently look up the thread concerning stickscaling, and there is one called Nosebounce, might be the same one, cant remember.

Also look for a thread I started titled, Trim, What up with That,LOL. Trim is critical in this game, and I'm just starting to get the feel of it. Long way to go. I got trim programed all over my stick.

I been messen with my stickscaling and profile for like 2 weeks, finally got happy today, LOL  Also make sure you are using the up views in the game. The up view can work with any position of the hatswitch by hitting the hat position and NP5. Critical!

Also there is a thread on the main page now called something like Help with MSPP and views. Good stuff, explains alot. If ya wanna try ICQ again, gimme a shout, 27995545 We'll chat!

BTW-This aint EAW, ton's more fun, hehe S!

------------------
SgtSpike
v355 Fighter Group
Steeple Morden Strafers