Author Topic: Bombing with B17  (Read 748 times)

DakoOtin

Bombing with B17
« on: January 14, 2000, 01:02:00 AM »
Can anyone give the procedure for bombing enemy targets with the B-17. How do you get clearance etc.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Bombing with B17
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
Not quite sure what you mean, no clearance is needed (Other than from the wife if your married).  Just line up the airfield or city etc. hit F6 for the Norden-made-easy bombsite,and move mud to your hearts content!

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
"There is no reason anyone would
want a computer in their home."
   Ken Olson, president, chairman and
founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

combat23

Bombing with B17
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »
What I would like to know is how to Line up? I have only flown the 17 and last nite the 26 off line. when I go to the bombsite I have no control. Tried turning auto  pilot off, rudder pedals don't work. rudder keys (asd) don't work. If the bomb aimer can't do small corrections on the run it is hard to get the cross hairs on target.

What am I missing here?
Thanks
P.S. I have not remaped any keys.

see ya on line

214CaveJ

Bombing with B17
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2000, 11:13:00 AM »
did you try moving the stick left and right?
when you go to the norden you can turn using your stick.  rudder is for guns, stick is for norden, got it? =)  And when you're in the norden auto-level is on.  If you turn off the autopilot it dinnae effect anything until you've gone back to the cockpit

(I know, it can get confusing =)

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
Bombing with B17
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2000, 11:14:00 AM »
Well, you have a joystick, don't you?  

The ailerons work like usual, just move the stick to align crosshair w/ target.

Az

------------------
Azrael
 Red Dragons

Offline glars

• Copper Member
Bombing with B17
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2000, 12:12:00 PM »
What they say then if you hold keypad 0 down to look through the bombsight. You can then zoom the sight in/out by pressing the [ and ] keys.

As soon as you start to zoom the sight you'll lose all sounds but don't worry about that. Also there's a keypress 'o' to open your bombdoors but that's not implemented yet - just drop away.

------------------
Glars
RNZAF
Maps now available for Beta Terrain
 http://glarsmaps.warbirds.org  

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Bombing with B17
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2000, 12:52:00 AM »
Just thought I'd add one more thing here...

You can use the zoom key "z" while in the bombsight or gunner positions.  This does help me score more hits, however things tend to get pretty shaky at high zoom levels.  You will just need to experiment to see if this helps you.  The way I use it is before I zoom with the "[" & "]" keys, I hit "z" to get a bigger picture of the targets on the ground.  This does make it easier to find acks once they have fired for the first time, because as you may know, they go into a sort of camoflauge mode and are VERY difficult to spot unless you know what you are looking for.

Hope this helps you.

Offline v355_Spike

• Zinc Member
Bombing with B17
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2000, 12:55:00 AM »
Good stuff guys! I forgot which key was the look down command, dugh. Now I can move some mud, LOL

------------------
SgtSpike
v355 Fighter Group
Steeple Morden Strafers